E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 03:51 AM   #201
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Not sure why you would cut the light when you could just cut into the plastic strip next to it as I did.
Because the lense is cheap and easily replaceable. If you mess up while trying to cut the plastic part you mentioned, you will have to replace the entire trunk handle. Or if ever you decide to remove the camera and go back to stock, you will be left with a hole in there that you will have to patch up.

Last edited by robin325ci; 11-25-2011 at 03:53 AM.
robin325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #202
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin325ci View Post
Because the lense is cheap and easily replaceable. If you mess up while trying to cut the plastic part you mentioned, you will have to replace the entire trunk handle. Or if ever you decide to remove the camera and go back to stock, you will be left with a hole in there that you will have to patch up.
You really going to pull a reverse camera out of the car when selling it? Its worth much more as a selling feature to a new owner than it is selling a used camera to someone...

That being said, the strip is under $100
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=41&fg=60
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #203
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04yfz View Post
If you have a sedan then the camera Jeff sells is the way to go, it is plug and play with no need to modify your existing license plate light.

Knowing nothing about Jeff, or what his site was before your post, I decided to check it out...

Looking at Jeff's site this is the camera they sell. Not for nothing, but if they're too lazy to upload a decent picture of a product they sell, I wouldn't buy from them. If that's the amount of effort they put into selling their products, I can only assume they'd give the same attention to detail to their customer service. I'll stick with a name brand product I suppose.

Eeks:
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #204
robin325ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
You really going to pull a reverse camera out of the car when selling it? Its worth much more as a selling feature to a new owner than it is selling a used camera to someone...

That being said, the strip is under $100
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=41&fg=60

Yeah I really am going to pull the camera out when I sell the car, as I plan on putting the stock radio back in. Everybody knows that aftermarket accessories don't add anything to the resale value.

That being said, I'd rather replace a $5 license plate lens than pay $100 for the entire trunk handle.

Last edited by robin325ci; 11-25-2011 at 10:35 AM.
robin325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #205
kevz65

My Ride: 318i SE E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
If it's the same cam as in the pic then it should have the red reverse trigger wire as shown below.......

Hmm ok. The only thing is that it's not long enough to run to the front. I thought that wire was just for taping the reverse light power.

Edit : actually isn't that wire just for the led light ?

Last edited by kevz65; 11-25-2011 at 07:59 PM.
kevz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #206
robin325ci

The red wire in the photo above is for the led light. I have the same camera from ebay, and it did not come with a trigger wire.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #207
kevz65

Quote:
The red wire in the photo above is for the led light. I have the same camera from ebay, and it did not come with a trigger wire.
Thanks. What did you do in the end then? What other sort of wire can I use for that purpose? I have a spare subwoofer remote wire would that suffice?

Last edited by kevz65; 11-26-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:34 AM   #208
robin325ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevz65 View Post
Thanks. What did you do in the end then? What other sort of wire can I use for that purpose? I have a spare subwoofer remote wire would that suffice?
That sub remote turn on wire of yours is perfect. Just tap one end into the reverse light positive wire, and the other end on the Dynavin
Old 11-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #209
kevz65

Ok basic question. I've taken apart the boot handle and removed the existing number plate bulb and holder. Going into the bulb holder there were four wires, one grey brown one blue brown one brown and one red brown. Which wires do I power the camera led with?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #210
robin325ci

Quote:
Ok basic question. I've taken apart the boot handle and removed the existing number plate bulb and holder. Going into the bulb holder there were four wires, one grey brown one blue brown one brown and one red brown. Which wires do I power the camera led with?
The way I did it was I soldered directly onto the prongs that hold the bulb in place. Much easier than splicing since there's not much room in there. See my post in page 10 of this thread.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #211
kevz65

Quote:
The way I did it was I soldered directly onto the prongs that hold the bulb in place. Much easier than splicing since there's not much room in there. See my post in page 10 of this thread.
I've already butchered the bulb holder off
Old 11-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #212
kevz65

Quote:
I've already butchered the bulb holder off
Any ideas chaps?

Also have another question. So how can I run the RCA and camera power through the existing wiring area in the boot handle? I'm guessing in need to separate the painted part but I'm having no luck doing this. Any tips for getting it apart? Or are there any alternative ways ?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #213
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Quote:
Any ideas chaps?

Also have another question. So how can I run the RCA and camera power through the existing wiring area in the boot handle? I'm guessing in need to separate the painted part but I'm having no luck doing this. Any tips for getting it apart? Or are there any alternative ways ?

Thanks
Cut and reattach.

Others seem to have no problem with your boot handle. The hole should be large enough to fit wiring through. Only pre-face coupes are smaller from what I have read.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #214
kevz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
Cut and reattach.

Others seem to have no problem with your boot handle. The hole should be large enough to fit wiring through. Only pre-face coupes are smaller from what I have read.
Will I have to separate the trim from the handle to do this?

Also, there is a pic of the bulb holder that i cut off. I'm not sure how to wire the LED of the camera:

So is this how the wiring should be?

Red from the camera LED to Grey/Brown(power)
Black from the camera LED to Brown (ground)
The brown should be also connected to the red/brown(power for the other num plate light)

Does the above sound right?

What about the grey/yellow strip wire(trunk release) where does this connect to?

Last edited by kevz65; 11-29-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #215
fadeaway

You shouldn't have had to cut anything according to other posts in this thread. Take a thorough read. As for your wiring, most folks don't do any splicing within the boot handle. You should be doing all of your wiring at the reverse light.

If you don't care about ever getting back to stock, keep hacking things up and get a multi-meter while your at it. Just probe the solder joint points to find out what the voltages are. I would advise against doing too much in such a tight space though. Unless you are confident that you won't short terminals, you could be in a bit of trouble.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #216
kevz65

I've read through the thread multiple times...maybe I'm blind . Struggling with just wiring the led and I'm usually good with stuff like this.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #217
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
I've read through the thread multiple times...maybe I'm blind . Struggling with just wiring the led and I'm usually good with stuff like this.
Just have a look at which wires are connected to the existing lights and tap into them.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #218
kevz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
You shouldn't have had to cut anything according to other posts in this thread. Take a thorough read. As for your wiring, most folks don't do any splicing within the boot handle. You should be doing all of your wiring at the reverse light.

If you don't care about ever getting back to stock, keep hacking things up and get a multi-meter while your at it. Just probe the solder joint points to find out what the voltages are. I would advise against doing too much in such a tight space though. Unless you are confident that you won't short terminals, you could be in a bit of trouble.

Maybe this will illustrate what im doing:

pic1 - boothandle taken out

pic2- turned around

pic3 - original bulb holder removed - see there are 4 wires. The question is how do I wire this correctly to the LED power in the camera?

pic4 - camera in place and camera led wiring in my hand

any help appreciated

Last edited by kevz65; 12-11-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #219
fadeaway

Okay. Look closely at the light that you took out that has four wires connected to it. It is a daisy-chained power supply. Two wires are for power and two wires are for ground. To find out which, follow the wires to the bulb holder. They are shorted in the holder.

That is the short answer.

Here is the long answer.

In pic 2, you have the ability to disassemble the part the wires are sticking out of. This should have a total of 4 wires. 2 for the boot lid handle button and 2 for power to the lights.

The 2 for the lights go directly to the part that you cut out, then it goes to the other light using the same supply. Daisy-chained. These are the two wires that should hook up to your LED light. Take a multi-meter and find out which is power and which is ground. Then connect the wires to your LED light accordingly. I hope I don't have to say this, but do the test while you have power and connect when you don't have power.

It is also possible to disassemble the rest of the boot lid handle, but I would recommend against it since you will most likely break some plastic bits that don't glue on again. Edit: After looking closer at your pics, you have a simpler design to your boot handle than I do. It is already open. Just follow the wires around.

As for the other wires, I was able to fit them into the place where they come out from in pic #2 after some cutting of the wires and butt-splicing.

Does that make things clearer? I'll keep checking this thread to see how you're coming along.

Last edited by fadeaway; 12-14-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #220
fadeaway

I hate not being able to see pictures while replying...

The two yellow wires should be shorted together and the two white/yellow wires should be shorted together. If you notice, when your car is on your second license plate light should not be working right now.

Tags
location, reverse camera, zhp