E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #261
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
I hear ya. If you want to stick with the camera you have, I think you'll have fabricate something up with plastic or thin sheet metal.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #262
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
yeah, maybe have to do that inside the light fixture and then mount the camera to it with bolts.

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #263
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
BigDRick323: I'm about to sell my backup camera. Maybe you'd be interested. I'll take more pictures and post them on here. I posted a pic earlier in this thread somewhere if you want to take a quick look at the install job.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #264
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
Yeah, shoot me some pics of the camera and what it looks like on your nav system.

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #265
gowhitehat

My Ride: E46 330xi
Unhappy E46 330xi Backup Camera DIY

Long time reader, new used 330xi owner, hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeDoh View Post
can anyone help with this? i'm thinking that the camera is either defective, or not receiving enough power. any suggestions how to check this? the camera power is tapped into the passenger side reverse light.
This is the same exact problem I have. The trigger wire works in acc. and running, the screen changes with back in top left, but no video. From the main menu, when selected it says no signal.

No video or no power?

My current hookup:
blue and yellow in fusebox to dynavin fakra harness green reverse wire
blue and yellow to red on cam
brown to black on cam
blue reverse av rca on dynavin in to yellow rca

I checked the voltage of the taillights and they show 3V, not 12. This explains why the rear taillight warning light in the gauge cluster comes on.

The voltage is sinking 12 instead of pushing it right?

Is there anything I can do without having to pull back the plastic trim and rerun the rca cable?

Last edited by gowhitehat; 08-03-2012 at 04:32 PM.
gowhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #266
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Dou know about the ground issue with the tail lights? There was a recal on this, but it's easy to fix yourself. Chaeck the ground terminals at the tail lights. Look for some damage where the harness plugs in to the tails. I simply ran a seperate ground.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...il+light+issue

My_Mods_&_Stuff

Last edited by Rickna; 08-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #267
gowhitehat

Red face Cheers!

Thanks for the rapid response. I'll ground it out ASAP and let y'all know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Dou know about the ground issue with the tail lights? There was a recal on this, but it's easy to fix yourself. Chaeck the ground terminals at the tail lights. Look for some damage where the harness plugs in to the tails. I simply ran a seperate ground.

This is the fix I'm going to use:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm1991 View Post
Thanks for the compliment.

I did the right taillight before since it was the one giving me the problem. I saw your post so I did the left one today -- this time with pics.

All photos are for the left taillight. Process is the same for the right.

The only materials and tools you need are:
- a 0.25" blade receptacle (available in Radio Shack, Home Depot or any electronics shop)
- a 5" strip of size #18 or larger wire
- rubber or vinyl electrical tape
- utility knife
- pliers

1) Release the taillight housing and lay it on the trunk.

2) Release the connector by pressing on the sides then pulling. Take note of the circled tab. That's the point we'll connect to later.

3) Cut a 5" piece of wire and strip one end about a quarter of an inch.

4) Insert the stripped end into the blade receptacle and crimp using any pair of pliers. Try pulling out the wire afterwards to make sure it's tight.

5) At the connector, the ground wire is the brown one. It's noticably thicker than the other wires.

6) Using a utility knife, carefully strip half an inch of insulation on the brown/ground wire 2"-3" from the connector.

7) Strip half an inch of the other end of the new piece of wire and wrap neatly (mine wasn't too neat in the pic) around the exposed ground wire.

8) Wrap tightly with electrical tape.

9) Plug in the connector again and insert the blade receptacle into the tab.

10) YOU'RE DONE!! If you've been having that annoying intermittent bulb-out problems and all bulbs seem to be ok, this is I think a more permanent solution. Replacing just the connector like what's done at the dealer will just bring back that problem after a few years. The problem is that the connector pin for the ground is too thin to carry all that current to the bulbs reliably. So eventually the pin builds up electrical resistance and will melt in some cases. Running a parallel connection using a thicker connector will solve it. (I'm an electronics engineer by education btw)

Last edited by gowhitehat; 08-03-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #268
Rickna

That's the one I used too. 3 yrs since and no problems.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #269
gowhitehat

I dunno

Must be the RCA, because I grounded it like the article said, only first at the trunk lid taillight and then at the trunk taillight to no avail. I then tried connecting it to the other light to make sure it would complete a circuit, but I touched it to the wrong lead and popped the reverse light fuse. I replaced the fuse, but now neither the trunk lid or trunk reverse lights come on and now the trigger wire isn't firing (it's also spliced to blue yellow reverse light wire). I haven't checked any other fuses, but I'm getting frustrated and will come back to it tomorrow. The upside is that the initial regrounding of the reverse lights made them brighter and there was corrosion on the terminals which I did scrape off.

I also tried grounding the whole tail light + cam to the ground bar. Nope. Left it the way the above article mentioned, turned her off, key out, key in, and back on. The reverse and license plate lights are back on. Trigger wire and video feed still not working. I'm pulling the wires out and running them directly to the different leads in case its the wiring to the trunk or the rca cable. If neither, it's just a bad camera. We'll see.

So I used the wrong sized D clip for splicing the trigger wire, which has now been changed and that works. Took a multimeter to the RCA cabling and compared resistances. Whoever ran the RCA extension cable cut it in three diff. places and did a poor solder job. I cut out the sections and tested and it's better, but I'm just going to pull a new one with the old one and install it right because there are too many kinks and pinches in it. We'll see if the video feed works then.

I assume that the rear passenger side warning light will stay on as long as the camera is hooked up?

All said and done, if you are like me and want to do it right, make sure you get the following part numbers before you take anything apart so you can get it all back together cleanly before you expect your woman to ride shotgun again.

2 x clip for Lateral trim panel front right:51498123832
? x Trim screw for misc trim and panels:07119904176
2 x 7-Clip for Column B trim piece:52201964201
Sill strip inner right:51478201336
Sill strip clip:51478234047
Retainer for trim panels ("repair kit"): 51458268560
Screw for trunk handle:51137057671

Got a 12' rca male male cable, ran it directly from trunk to dynavin rev cam in, still no signal.

Multimeter shows full 12V in reverse, wired properly, from lights. Lights regrounded as per tutorial. Video cable mA show 80 neutral acc on, 40 reverse acc on.

Trigger cable and menu option camera both show no picture...

---

Took it to the local car audio shop. They ran a DVD player to the AUX and the Backup video inputs, I was in reverse, and there was still no signal. They said that it may have been powered incorrectly before and fried the video chip. While that makes sense, I would think it would then be unable to display video, or the fuse would be blown?

Any ideas?

Last edited by gowhitehat; 08-10-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #270
Hockeyman17

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Hey guys, I've read through this entire thread and want to make sure I get this right when I go to finish the install today. I'm going to take the red and black wire coming from the trunk lid, black tapped to ground, red tapped to the reverse lights. The green 'reverse' wire from the Fakra I will tap into the glove box fuse and in the rear tap into the reverse lights? I am unsure what to do with the wire labeled 'parking' also. The red plug coming out of my trunk is the trigger wire while the yellow is the RCA video feed correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1344953383.353763.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	464963   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1344953401.377204.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	464964  
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #271
hoppa79

My Ride: needs more cowbell
How does the output of the led light in the housing of the camera compare with the other license plate light, assuming you all installed an led bulb in there as well?

I'm understand it won't be as bright, just trying to gauge how much less.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #272
gowhitehat

Search around, i remember seeing a backup cam light comparison somewhere...
Old 09-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #273
Xanthoxx

My Ride: 04 BMW 330CI
Vert Trunk Handel Removal is 5 Torx

Most likely responded to at some point but verts have a 5th screw under the emblem/roundel. I broke the 5th one so that's how I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt1436 View Post
Does anyone on here have a convertible and has successfully installed a license plate light reverse camera?

I have read all the posts on here about removing the trunk handle (4 torx screws) and pulling it off, but I can't get mine off. Besides the four screws, it seems to be attached behind the Roundel (which on a 'vert is integrated into the handle). I can't get the darned thing off even with all four screws completely out.

Are there any convertible owners out there with some tips?

Thanks in advance!
John
Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #274
MikeS123

My Ride: 2003 M3 Vert
Can someone tell me if this camera will work in 2003.5 M3 convertible?

http://ottonavi.com/product/accessor...-backup-camera

MikeS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #275
Retrax

My Ride: 2004 325CI vert
MikeS123,

I have a convertible and it looks like the guys with coupes and verts have problems with lack of depth in the reverse lamp housing. The sedan guys have the ability to plug and play but coupes and vets have to shave housing and do some hacking down to get these to fit. The one in your link looks a bit deep and you might have to grind it down a lot to make it fit. I've been looking into adding a camera to my 04 325CI.

Maybe this one would prevent some of the depth related problems coupe and vert guys are having? Other than this one I have seen a youtube video where an M3 vert owner put one in where the key hole for the trunk is. The only thing I would be concerned with that is if the keyless trunk solenoid ever had problems I think I would be locked out of the trunk?

http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavin...6%20camera.jpg

Last edited by Retrax; 10-30-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #276
huggy3613

My Ride: 2003 530i
In picture which set of black/red wires are for the license plate light? the set directly off the camera or the set that has the male plug on it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse camera.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	479533  

Last edited by huggy3613; 11-24-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: forgot to add the picture
huggy3613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #277
jwbeck17

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Just a little confused here. On an stock e46 330xi sedan, the back-up light is on the trunk lid instead of the right corner tail light cluster. Does that mean that the black & red power/ground wire needs to go through the trunk lid to the reverse lights? Or is there a place in the right tail light cluster that I can connect to?

I have the J&T reverse camera unit that uses the existing license plate light bulb and have that wire through the lid and into the trunk, just need to know how to connect the power/ground.

Sorry, doing the install now and am not to electrically minded.
jwbeck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #278
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbeck17 View Post
Just a little confused here. On an stock e46 330xi sedan, the back-up light is on the trunk lid instead of the right corner tail light cluster. Does that mean that the black & red power/ground wire needs to go through the trunk lid to the reverse lights? Or is there a place in the right tail light cluster that I can connect to?

I have the J&T reverse camera unit that uses the existing license plate light bulb and have that wire through the lid and into the trunk, just need to know how to connect the power/ground.

Sorry, doing the install now and am not to electrically minded.
The ground can be fastened to any metal surface. I tapped the power from reverse lights wire at the fuse box end.(reverse lights

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #279
jwbeck17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
The ground can be fastened to any metal surface. I tapped the power from reverse lights wire at the fuse box end.(reverse lights
And that totally makes sense. Just need to route it to the fuse box then. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #280
jwbeck17

Just want to make sure I have my wiring connections of the reverse camera wires straight:

Red/Black wires (near camera end):
- Black to ground point (several locations in chassis available and found them listed in Bentley book)
- Red to 12v reverse light source (can choose reverse light fixture, blue/yellow wire connection in black box behind fuse box in glove box area, or use a splitter with reverse light 10A fuse)

Yellow male RCA connector: Connects to brown female RCA connector (labled "Camera") on "IN" RCA harness on back of Dynavin

Red wire (near yellow RCA connector): Connects to one of the sources listed above for the red wire

Pink REVERSE female bullet connector wire on back of Dynavin: Connects to one of the sources listed above for the red wire (will need additional cable to extend)

Not sure if I got this right. I first tried putting the REVERSE cable and connecting it to the red wire by the Yellow RCA connector while the red of the red/black cable was attached to the reverse light fuse. Reverse camera worked, but would not shut off.

Let me know if my explanation is right or screwed up!

Thanks.

Tags
location, reverse camera, zhp