E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #281
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
couple mistakes there......

the dynavin's reverse wire is green....

ON THE CAMERA WE SELL the red wires at both ends are on the same circuit, the wire is provided as a convenience so you dont have tor run an extra wire (as you mention in your post).

The red wire at the camera end connects to the reverse light circuit (usually at the reverse light).

The red wire at the dash end connects to the dynavins reverse wire.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #282
jwbeck17

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
couple mistakes there......

the dynavin's reverse wire is green....

ON THE CAMERA WE SELL the red wires at both ends are on the same circuit, the wire is provided as a convenience so you dont have tor run an extra wire (as you mention in your post).

The red wire at the camera end connects to the reverse light circuit (usually at the reverse light).

The red wire at the dash end connects to the dynavins reverse wire.
Thanks! That was what I originally thought, as the fuse box or reverse light circuit connection should turn off or on the camera power, and the other end of the red wire connected to the Dynavin reverse wire will tell the Dynavin whether the reverse camera is on or off. Unfortunately when I first tried it, I rough connected to the fuse and must have got an always-on power source, as I couldn't get the camera to turn off!

Will try to fix that next...
jwbeck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #283
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Dynavin.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #284
jwbeck17

My Ride: 2005 330xi
The good news is that I got it all setup and working perfectly. And looking back on it, the reverse camera that Jeff offers is probably one of the most simple and e46 stock-compliant reverse camera installs for the Dynavin. I learned a lot of Dos and Don'ts in the process:

When installing the camera light in the trunk handle...
DON'T wire the camera through the hole behind the back of the lamp, possibly melting the cable...and your car.
DO poke the wire through the foam backer and cut a channel in the backer for the wire to lid connection. This way, you won't need to pop open the trunk handle casing, which will most likely break.

When threading the camera wire through the elephant trunk rubber wire conduit connecting the trunk lid to the body...
DON'T try to fish the wire using a flat coiled cable fish wire. Only giving birth will get that through.
DO use a straightened coat hanger wire with a hook on the end and tape over it heavily, then cover it with lubrication. It will take work, but you can pull it through, as long as it doesn't get caught on any other wires.

When connecting the red camera side power wire...
DON'T connect it to the reverse light fuse in the glove compartment. That fuse is actually always on. If you make the other connections and try it, the camera will turn on and work, but it will never shut off, did you can't change it from the Dynavin. Great if you want it to be a reverse camera only, but you may want to play some music sometime.
DO take the wire and patch it to one of the the reverse light power wires in the trunk. The Bentley manual confirmed that the 2reverse light power wires are blue with a yellow stripe and use the elephant trunk tube to go into the trunk lid. If you get a T connector for 18 gauge wire from Radio Shack and attach the red power line to the blue/yellow wire heading into the trunk lid, you a set. As for the black ground wire, there is a ground nut on the body right next to the trunk tube. You can easily use the nut to tie it down.

Went connecting the red power wire on the RCA side to the Reverse cable on the back of the Dynavin...
DON'T just wrap the wire around the connector. It looks crappy and probably will work that way, too.
DO add a male bullet connector for 18 gauge wire to the red wire, then connect into the female bullet connector already on the end of the Dynavin reverse cable. Looks and works much better.

Hope this helps everyone in their future installs!
jwbeck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #285
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
MikeS123,

I have a convertible and it looks like the guys with coupes and verts have problems with lack of depth in the reverse lamp housing. The sedan guys have the ability to plug and play but coupes and vets have to shave housing and do some hacking down to get these to fit. The one in your link looks a bit deep and you might have to grind it down a lot to make it fit. I've been looking into adding a camera to my 04 325CI.

Maybe this one would prevent some of the depth related problems coupe and vert guys are having? Other than this one I have seen a youtube video where an M3 vert owner put one in where the key hole for the trunk is. The only thing I would be concerned with that is if the keyless trunk solenoid ever had problems I think I would be locked out of the trunk?

http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavin...6%20camera.jpg

Woah I need this! Where is this at?

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #286
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
That looks like an excellent item. I would have done that, if I knew it was available when I did my install.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 05-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #287
Retrax

My Ride: 2004 325CI vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
Woah I need this! Where is this at?
The camera link is here,

http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavin...backup-camera/

it is $55.00 and located in the U.S. (no need to wait for an international shipper)

Last edited by Retrax; 05-13-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #288
tiffer

My Ride: E46 320d Touring
Re: Reverse Camera Install Locations

Hi

Have an eonon 5150 and have run some wiring for the backup cam but cannot figure out how to remove the trim on the inside of the rear window of my 2005 touring to route the wire to the rear number plate light I am going to replace.

I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know ?

Thanks in advance.
Chrid

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
tiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #289
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
For those of you who went with the ebay camera: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400480245484

What are your long term opinions of it? Has it lasted? What about the LEDs? Have you found a replacement LED bulb for the other side that somewhat matches the color and light output to even it out?
Old 07-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #290
Retrax

My Ride: 2004 325CI vert
I had to go that route due to the camera in post #285 above not being compatible with a facelift coupe/convertible, which is too bad because it was really nice. The eBay camera is "ok" I guess. It definitely doesn't have the same quality as a $200.00 CCD camera but for what I paid it gets the job done just fine.
Retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #291
Rickna

The back of the EBay camera was way too deep and took extensive modification to fit properly. It's been running well for about 4 yrs with no problems. The LED plate light still works fine. I was able to match the color but the camera light is about 1/3 the size. So it's not as bright as the side. Not a big deal for me.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #292
Scooby24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
The back of the EBay camera was way too deep and took extensive modification to fit properly. It's been running well for about 4 yrs with no problems. The LED plate light still works fine. I was able to match the color but the camera light is about 1/3 the size. So it's not as bright as the side. Not a big deal for me.
There's a couple ebay cameras that look similar but some have much shallower backs. Was yours one of the shallower ones like in the link I posted (this is the one I ordered) or was it the taller one?

I've read conflicting reports that this one I ordered is shallower and fits the sedan's larger trim piece housing.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #293
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
There's a couple ebay cameras that look similar but some have much shallower backs. Was yours one of the shallower ones like in the link I posted (this is the one I ordered) or was it the taller one?

I've read conflicting reports that this one I ordered is shallower and fits the sedan's larger trim piece housing.
The pictures on EBay can be deceiving. I bought what I thought was a shallow depth, supposed to fit a sedan but it wasn't to be.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #294
Scooby24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
The pictures on EBay can be deceiving. I bought what I thought was a shallow depth, supposed to fit a sedan but it wasn't to be.
Just saw your install pictures, yours is definitely the taller one.

Also...did you just remove the plastic light cover and not any of the light bulb housing or anything else behind there? I'm pretty sure all that should be removed prior to install...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #295
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Just saw your install pictures, yours is definitely the taller one.

Also...did you just remove the plastic light cover and not any of the light bulb housing or anything else behind there? I'm pretty sure all that should be removed prior to install...
I had to remove the entire housing to run the wires. PITA

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 11-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #296
gimpyviper

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 - PYM
Send a message via AIM to gimpyviper
Hey all, sorry to revive a thread gone quiet... It's been a while since my last post. To be honest I've been in the mode where I thought I would be looking to sell my E46. Anyway, until recently when my sister came to visit and I had to actual drive my car more than just to and fro on my daily commute. Started realizing the inadequacies due to age of the OEM Nav unit. Was looking into BSW's Soundplicity, or iSimple Tranzit BLU HF but just feel like those would just feel like hacks, don't like that the screen wouldn't display text etc so now considering the Avin Avant. Then of course I saw the Avin Avant has a simple input for the reverse camera... which lead me to this thread.

Don't think I'd touch the cheap eBay camera. I don't like the idea of the shoddy build quality. I've never shied away paying more for a better product. So I found this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Veyron-VC-BM...-/250904997448 Which is 4x as expensive but seems to be a much higher build quality. I have a CSL trunk so I especially like that it specifically mentions this part is meant as a replacement for the E46 CSL and E39. One of the things that make me hesitant about the other cheaper models is most of them state the part fits perfectly in both the E46 (non-CSL) and E39 which I know is impossible since the E39 trunk lights are much narrower.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has tried this particular camera. Between the Avin Avant and now this mucho expensive camera I'm looking at a grand when everything is said and done. Not sure if I want to go through that trouble if I just plan to sell/trade the car... LOL

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
gimpyviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #297
DetroitFarher
...knows how to rock

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
As someone who works in the electronics field (I am an embedded systems developer), You are paying someone else to take quite possibly the same circuit board and CCD camera, and rebrand it.

I have accounts with Chinese suppliers who are not only responsive to my company's needs, but also push out quality products. Don't get me wrong, however, you CAN pay someone to rebrand, and in some cases, it's dangerous to buy parts from china (READ: Sparco Taiwan "FIA-Certified" seats), however when it comes to electronics, I would venture to guess that 90% of the world's electronics originate in China (Or Taiwan).

My personal philosophy is that if it won't kill me (EG: Safety-critical systems), I order from my Chinese suppliers.

Don't let a lower price be a determining factor in your purchasing. I build LED lighting systems as a hobby and for friends. I have ordered literally more than a thousand high-power LED arrays, and the only issues I've had is when I overloaded them (Stress testing for voltage spikes). Every single piece I have gotten has gotten to my door in less than a week, and at 30% of the cost of the U.S. suppliers.

---EDIT---
A quick search brought up this: Search result

Last edited by DetroitFarher; 11-27-2013 at 03:21 PM.
DetroitFarher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #298
gimpyviper

I actually went back and double checked and now realized its a moot point, the camera in question is PAL. Not going to work

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #299
gimpyviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitFarher View Post
As someone who works in the electronics field (I am an embedded systems developer), You are paying someone else to take quite possibly the same circuit board and CCD camera, and rebrand it.

I have accounts with Chinese suppliers who are not only responsive to my company's needs, but also push out quality products. Don't get me wrong, however, you CAN pay someone to rebrand, and in some cases, it's dangerous to buy parts from china (READ: Sparco Taiwan "FIA-Certified" seats), however when it comes to electronics, I would venture to guess that 90% of the world's electronics originate in China (Or Taiwan).

My personal philosophy is that if it won't kill me (EG: Safety-critical systems), I order from my Chinese suppliers.

Don't let a lower price be a determining factor in your purchasing. I build LED lighting systems as a hobby and for friends. I have ordered literally more than a thousand high-power LED arrays, and the only issues I've had is when I overloaded them (Stress testing for voltage spikes). Every single piece I have gotten has gotten to my door in less than a week, and at 30% of the cost of the U.S. suppliers.

---EDIT---
A quick search brought up this: Search result
Hmmm thanks for the link for the VW one... maybe theres a US version of the BMW one... I'll keep looking. Your point about the cheaper solution is sorta preaching to the choir here The main reason I liked the one I posted the link for was because it acknowledges the exact part its supposed to replace as opposed to nilly willy listing cars it can be used for.

Anyway, hopefully I can find a version in the US that's NTSC

Old 11-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #300
DetroitFarher
...knows how to rock

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyviper View Post
Hmmm thanks for the link for the VW one... maybe theres a US version of the BMW one... I'll keep looking. Your point about the cheaper solution is sorta preaching to the choir here The main reason I liked the one I posted the link for was because it acknowledges the exact part its supposed to replace as opposed to nilly willy listing cars it can be used for.

Anyway, hopefully I can find a version in the US that's NTSC
Some head units accept a NTSC or PAL signal. I know t he Eonon 5150 does. As the main board is probably used in multiple configurations, it makes economical sense to produce one board that can handle multiple inputs.

Check with your manufacturer of your head unit.
DetroitFarher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
location, reverse camera, zhp