E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #61
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhdez View Post
Thank Darkoz...
I guess the other question would be... Do you guys think it might be a problem if I hook the camera to constant power instead of the reverse light? that way the camera could be on all the time. I'm not saying I would really need it, but hey, it might be kinda nice to have it. Then, all I would need to do is hook the trigger wire to the reverse light's positive and I would trigger the camera whenever I go in reverse...

My camera is on whenever the key is on. I did not like the idea of powering off the reverse lights, so I took the trigger "ON" wire from the factory amp to turn on a relay which provides power to the camera. I then have taken the reverse signal from the wires leading into the trunk lid and ran that to my Dynavin. Doing this, my camera being on whenever key is on, I can manually go into "Camera" view from the main menu, and it also automatically goes into camera view when I go into reverse

It's all very basic electronics stuff really.
Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #62
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
I have a Boyo VT350 I think it was, fits into the rear key hole in the trunk lid. Although it fits very nice and is flush, it is somewhat useless in the sense that I can not really gauge how far I am to something as it's positioned to look straight back, versus down at an angle..........
Don't the keyhole cameras come with angle rings so you can adjust the angle of the camera?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #63
Tchleung

Yes mines does but so far I've opted to not use the rings as I do like the flush look... hahaha I'm sure eventually I will actually angle the lens downward.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #64
lfhdez

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
My camera is on whenever the key is on. I did not like the idea of powering off the reverse lights, so I took the trigger "ON" wire from the factory amp to turn on a relay which provides power to the camera. I then have taken the reverse signal from the wires leading into the trunk lid and ran that to my Dynavin. Doing this, my camera being on whenever key is on, I can manually go into "Camera" view from the main menu, and it also automatically goes into camera view when I go into reverse

It's all very basic electronics stuff really.
Darn it! I was told by someone that this wouldn't work!!! Now I find out it does? Boooooo. But good job on the install.

Transmitido en espaņol por SAP
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #65
Tchleung

Haha yes it definitely does work! and Thanks. I'll snap some pics today.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #66
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46pauler View Post
Anyone who ordered this reverse camera from China know how long shipping took? I want to get this thing in ASAP before exams start up again :o

I hate shipping.
Took me like a week or two.

That looks even higher quality than the one i have...

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #67
e46pauler

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Took me like a week or two.

That looks even higher quality than the one i have...
Thanks^

Am I the only one a bit leery about installing it with only clips? I might try to do something semi-permanent with some clear silicone.
e46pauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #68
Tchleung

Here's a quick video and crappy pics. The car is dirty I apologize

Old 11-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #69
inta

My Ride: 325xi
Can someone explain where to pass the cables from the trunk towards the front of the car? I want to remove as few (clipped?) panels as possible. Would the RCA cable go from the side of the trunk, along the doors? Or from the trunk right to the center console area (from the middle part of the back seat)? Never ran any cables from the trunk of a car before, and I want to make sure I route the cables the easiest way possible. I tried a search on here but came up empty -- I'm thinking there must be DIY guides for trunk/amp installs or something that would explain, but I can't seem to find any =/
inta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #70
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
What's the point of using a relay?

Could you not just put the power straight to a switched 12V?

inta: check HERE. Useful info.
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #71
inta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejames View Post

That is awesome! Thanks so much! =)
Old 11-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #72
Tchleung

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejames View Post

So you are not powering the camera off the reverse lamp wiring. Almost all electrical components should be powered by a dedicated fused relay vs direct power. I use a relay also so that I can remotely turn on my reverse camera even when I am driving forward as I have a switch and my reverse light as a signal to activate said relay to turn on camera. Doing this way, I can turn it on whenever I want and have it operate as a normal reverse camera, without having the camera on with ignition.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #73
inta

2 questions for you guys:
1- What's the 'connector cable' needed to hook up the green "REVERSE" signal off the back of the Dynavin directly to the fuse box, so that it activates the camera when the car is put in reverse? Going to take it in to a shop to get this part done, but want to have the right cable when I go. Need to know the connector on both ends (Dynavin side and the fuse box side)
2- Can anyone with an E46 SEDAN tell me how to pass the cable from the back seats to the trunk? I passed the cable along the side wall on the passenger side, but when I took off the grey trunk lining yesterday, I couldn't find a single hole where you can pass a cable from the back seat/cabin to the trunk. I know on a COUPE with fold-down seats, it's easy, but can't seem to find a way on my sedan.

Thanks

Last edited by inta; 11-29-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #74
95seriesbmw

My Ride: BMW X5, BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by inta View Post
2 questions for you guys:
1- What's the 'connector cable' needed to hook up the green "REVERSE" signal off the back of the Dynavin directly to the fuse box, so that it activates the camera when the car is put in reverse? Going to take it in to a shop to get this part done, but want to have the right cable when I go. Need to know the connector on both ends (Dynavin side and the fuse box side)
2- Can anyone with an E46 SEDAN tell me how to pass the cable from the back seats to the trunk? I passed the cable along the side wall on the passenger side, but when I took off the grey trunk lining yesterday, I couldn't find a single hole where you can pass a cable from the back seat/cabin to the trunk. I know on a COUPE with fold-down seats, it's easy, but can't seem to find a way on my sedan.

Thanks
U pulled only the panel against the seat then. Pull the side panel off on the side ur running cables thru and you will see factory wires coming thru a black foam gromet. There will be some on either side you chose. you will also need to pull the back seat to do this properly. Its really not as much to pull out as it sounds.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #75
inta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95seriesbmw View Post
U pulled only the panel against the seat then. Pull the side panel off on the side ur running cables thru and you will see factory wires coming thru a black foam gromet. There will be some on either side you chose. you will also need to pull the back seat to do this properly. Its really not as much to pull out as it sounds.
At the very end of my try at it, I actually saw the bunch of cables leading into the trunk (from the rear seat edge on the driver's side of the car), as well as the foam covering that hole, but it seemed like there was no room to fit even the small RCA cable. I guess you're telling me there is? I guess I'll have to give it another shot! I didn't remove the back of the rear seats though -- didn't think that was possible?

Also, anyone else on the connectors for the reverse signal to the radio unit (Dynavin in my case)?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #76
95seriesbmw

My Ride: BMW X5, BMW M3
yes theres quit a bit of room. the foam flexes enough to allow plenty room. you can even pull the plug itself out easily and put back in. it has a cut from center to the edge in it so you dont have to pull the cable thru it. just run cable thru the hole and slide the foam over the cables again and put it back.

The back rest of the seat comes out by removing the center headrest and then pull at the top left corner and then right to pop a large clip on each side. You're basically done at this point and only need to pull upwards to remove the metal u-shaped tabs at the bottom from the metal brackets they sit in. obviously you need the bottom section out before any of this but I guess you noticed that when you had it out the first time.

Pretty sure thats how the removal went. its been almost a year since i done it last.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #77
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
I posted this elsewhere, but was ignored!

I've bought a PAL reverse camera - mistakenly thinking the Dynavin supports both formats. Apparently, this just applies to the video input.

Anyway... If I powered the unit with a switched +12V and plugged it in to my AV-IN instead, can anyone think of any issues with this? I know I'd then have to manually select the camera if I wanted it.

If this works... Would this cut the sound source? ie. Is the video aspect of the AUX linked with the audio? And conversely, could I use my Audio Aux-in without having the camera image on screen?

Thanks.

(I'd change the camera, but I particularly like the way it mounts and count find anything in NTSC that fits my criteria.)
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #78
azeL_Inc

My Ride: E46
Tchleung,

any chance you can share details on how to wire these things like yours? ( i mean i like your idea of always powering the camera on)

Last edited by azeL_Inc; 12-09-2010 at 09:36 PM.
azeL_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #79
cline328

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeL_Inc View Post
Tchleung,

any chance you can share details on how to wire these things like yours? ( i mean i like your idea of always powering the camera on)
I am looking at doing this also. After reading through several threads the method I like the most, as mentioned above, is to...

5 pin 12v relay. ---> the power comes from the white wire that triggers the factory amp on. There is another pin that goes to the camera. Then you connect the trigger wire on the Dynavin or other unit (I believe its green bullet connector the dynavin to the rear tail lights to trigger the screen to automatically switch to the camera in reverse. And if i am correct, you can find the wire needed to trigger it in the black box above the fuse box in the glove compartment. I'm sure about pin on the relay will need to be grounded, however I'm not sure where is ideal...

Can anyone verify or add to this?

Thanks

Also, for the relay, look on www.partsexpress.com. They are good people and the prices are phenomenal.

My BMW is now second.

New Car: 2007 G35x

Last edited by cline328; 12-27-2010 at 01:02 PM.
cline328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #80
Tchleung

I can draw up a hoaky wiring schematic later tonight, but I do not remember wire colors so you will have to decipher that yourself. Basically to do it the way I did it, you need:

wire length
5 pin relay
fuse
diode(important)
switch(so you can put it into camera mode while driving forward WITHOUT having the camera on with key on)

My video is a bit misleading as I took that video when I was in testing phase and the camera was powered with "key on" and stayed on whenever car was running. This proved to work, but I did not like the idea of having the camera on for so long plus in the cold, the camera would fog up a bit since it does put off heat when on. My current way, the reverse switch puts it into camera mode, so does a switch I have mounted in the center console. I do not use the "Camera" button in the main menu at all. To put the unit into camera mode while driving, I'm basically tricking it into thinking i'm in reverse. The whole switch/diode can be avoided if you are fine with having the camera on with "ignition on"

Tags
location, reverse camera, zhp