E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #81
cline328

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
I can draw up a hoaky wiring schematic later tonight, but I do not remember wire colors so you will have to decipher that yourself. Basically to do it the way I did it, you need:

wire length
5 pin relay
fuse
diode(important)
switch(so you can put it into camera mode while driving forward WITHOUT having the camera on with key on)

My video is a bit misleading as I took that video when I was in testing phase and the camera was powered with "key on" and stayed on whenever car was running. This proved to work, but I did not like the idea of having the camera on for so long plus in the cold, the camera would fog up a bit since it does put off heat when on. My current way, the reverse switch puts it into camera mode, so does a switch I have mounted in the center console. I do not use the "Camera" button in the main menu at all. To put the unit into camera mode while driving, I'm basically tricking it into thinking i'm in reverse. The whole switch/diode can be avoided if you are fine with having the camera on with "ignition on"
Thanks for replying here and to the PM. I got to thinking that same thing after I posted that regarding having it on always. It's a cool feature to have, but now I am thinking that I will just have it wired for reverse. Still thinking though.

Thanks again

My BMW is now second.

New Car: 2007 G35x
cline328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #82
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Yes, the supplied 5m camera RCA cable does have a thin wire connected to it at both ends but with no plugs on the ends, just bare wire.

As shown in the pic, I don't see this additional female "bullet" connector at the back of the Dynavin, only the Rear Camera IN cable

Darkoz, just a follow up on this. Did you locate the additional "female bullet" connector they were referring too? I'm considering adding this camera, but I'm not clear on this particular point.

Also, on the camera end, what does the thin wire connect to or is it already attached to the camera? You indicated in your post it didn't have connectors at either end.

Thanks!

2007 750Li
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3

Last edited by BobSC; 12-28-2010 at 08:26 AM.
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #83
cline328

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSC View Post
Darkoz, just a follow up on this. Did you locate the additional "female bullet" connector they were referring too? I'm considering adding this camera, but I'm not clear on this particular point.

Also, on the camera end, what does the thin wire connect to or is it already attached to the camera? You indicated in your post it didn't have connectors at either end.

Thanks!
I know I'm not Darkoz, but I'll try to answer..

The bullet connectors are the ones with the little plastic casings on them I believe. On this thread, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437, the seventh picture down shows what I believe to be the trigger wire for the Dynavin unit. It is on the harness with a lot of those same connectors. I don't have my unit yet speak 100%, but I believe that is correct.

The wire needs to be connected to the reverse tail light wires in the black box above the fusebox. The + and - wires on the camera get tapped into the reverse lights on the deck lid. Then the video cable is run to the location posted on the wire highlighted on the diagram in your post.

This set up will only allow the camera to be active in reverse and will NOt work via the camera option on the Dynavin screen.

Also, as a side note, there is an USA seller on Ebay with these cameras which should cut shipping time down.

My BMW is now second.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #84
BobSC

Cline328 - Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your feedback.

I just installed my Dyanvin V5 last weekend and I'm familiar with the bullet connectors you are referring to. I think I follow how to do this. I'm really liking this unit.

Thanks again.

2007 750Li
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
Old 12-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #85
cline328

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSC View Post
Cline328 - Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your feedback.

I just installed my Dyanvin V5 last weekend and I'm familiar with the bullet connectors you are referring to. I think I follow how to do this. I'm really liking this unit.

Thanks again.
No problem

I am excited for mine to come next Tuesday!

My BMW is now second.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #86
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
Right, I was hoping to fit mine today. Just been out for a final look... how the hell do you get the cables through the rubber hose?!

Appreciate any advice! Cheers.
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #87
thejames

All the boot lid stuff is now wired. It's not that tough... just take some thought.

I don't think you have much chance of pulling any plugs through that hose - it's very tight. Instead, I chopped the plug off one end of my RCA cable so I just had a skinny wire to thread. There's just one hose that runs from inside the boot to inside the lid, but there are three grommets. Undo all three. I struggled to push anything through the full length of the hose so I made an incision behind the middle grommet and routed it outside the hose and into the car. It bends inside the bodywork so makes it really difficult. I threaded a wire coat hanger through, then duct taped my wires to it and pulled them back through. Worked a treat.

As well as the video cable, I also ran a separate wire to connect up to the trigger.

Drilled a couple of holes inside the boot lid, soldered up the power and trigger wires and put it all back together.

Just waiting for my heatshrink tubing to be delivered and I can solder my RCA lead back together and it should all work

One more word of wisdom for anyone planning on doing this... Took me a little while to work out how the tool tray is connected. Turns out there are two flocked screws underneath. Feel around, you'll find them.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #88
95seriesbmw

My Ride: BMW X5, BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejames View Post
All the boot lid stuff is now wired. It's not that tough... just take some thought.

I don't think you have much chance of pulling any plugs through that hose - it's very tight. Instead, I chopped the plug off one end of my RCA cable so I just had a skinny wire to thread. There's just one hose that runs from inside the boot to inside the lid, but there are three grommets. Undo all three. I struggled to push anything through the full length of the hose so I made an incision behind the middle grommet and routed it outside the hose and into the car. It bends inside the bodywork so makes it really difficult. I threaded a wire coat hanger through, then duct taped my wires to it and pulled them back through. Worked a treat.

As well as the video cable, I also ran a separate wire to connect up to the trigger.

Drilled a couple of holes inside the boot lid, soldered up the power and trigger wires and put it all back together.

Just waiting for my heatshrink tubing to be delivered and I can solder my RCA lead back together and it should all work

One more word of wisdom for anyone planning on doing this... Took me a little while to work out how the tool tray is connected. Turns out there are two flocked screws underneath. Feel around, you'll find them.
Not understanding why you drilled any holes for this? I did the same thing about a week ago and drilled no holes for anything.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #89
thejames

My cam is an external unit with a butterfly bracket. It screwed into the underside of the handle pull but I then had to get the cable into the car. The second hole was probably unnecessary but just made it easier to route from one compartment to another within the trunk lid. I didn't have too long a flex on the lead coming out the camera so took the easy route!

None of the holes are visible, nor will they create any issues.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #90
95seriesbmw

Ok i understand now. i was thinking you had the license plate light replacement style cam.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #91
_k

My Ride: e46 coupe
what are the thin red wires coming out of the RCA for?
_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #92
lor443

My Ride: E46 M3
Really confused about all this can someone just make one big post explaining everything like a written diy??
lor443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #93
Blue Mesa

My Ride: 2006 M3 convertible
Installed Dynavin, (Jeff is awesome!). A question for you guys, related to back up camera / radar (sorry if a bit off thread). I just put my rear view camera in where everyone else has in the backup light slot. I have a M3 convertible, so a bit of work to get it "thinned down" enough to fit. But got it. I'm now installing lasar jammers (L1) on the same strip. On left side lots of clearance. On the right side I'll need to remove the key activation for the trunk. So the question is. With the remote key and the fingertip open options still present, do you guys think losing the key option is a big deal?
Blue Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #94
harticus5

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lor443 View Post
Really confused about all this can someone just make one big post explaining everything like a written diy??
1) Run Wires from trunk to front.
2) Put camera in place, feed wires threw.
2) Wire camera led light to license plate light power
3) Wire camera power to reverse lights
4) Have dynavin fully in place with all wires connected. Connect camera video cable to camera connection.
5) Connect trigger wire (wire that travels with video wire from trunk to front)
Dynavin side connect to loose green wire labeled "reverse"
Trunk side connect to reverse light power.
03 BMW M3 Coupe,Titan. Silver,Black Leather Interier,6 SPD,Prem Pkg,Cold Weather Pkg,Harman Kardon, Xenon Lights,Alum. Interier Trim,Alarm,Black Side grills,15% Tint,Dynavin v5 w/ rvserse camera,Clear Side markers,MS54,M3 emblem trunk mat/floor mats,Painted front reflectors,Driver KeyHole delete,Blue/White LED inter.LED exter/tail/turn,Allum.Pedals,M3 Illum. door sills"==///M3==",Painted Fog LGT Insrt,Sirius Sprt5 hardwired,Chrome license plate
harticus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #95
seongstyle

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
has anybody tried using a video input in the dynavin to install a forward-facing camera too?
seongstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #96
e46pauler

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppyR6 View Post
The two wires to tap are brown(ground) and blue/yellow. You also need to remove the glovebox, pull down the fusebox and look up into the compartment to see a black box. Unhook the black box and locate any blue/yellow wire. Use the Dynavin's reverse cam wire (green I think) and tap into the blue/yellow wire (you will need some extension wire as Dynavin wire is only a few inches long.
I think this was quite possibly the most valuable post in this thread. Thank you so much. I'm gonna try to DIY the camera install and save myself $200.

Thanks e46fanatics!
e46pauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #97
95seriesbmw

If you run an extra wire along with your rca wire to the back, the blue/yellow wire is also back there so when you connect the cam to the rca, you can do the camera on signal wire going to the green wire on dynavin all at the same time rather than taking another part of you car apart. Will work either way but less work this way.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #98
Blue Mesa

My Ride: 2006 M3 convertible
Quote:
The two wires to tap are brown(ground) and blue/yellow. You also need to remove the glovebox, pull down the fusebox and look up into the compartment to see a black box. Unhook the black box and locate any blue/yellow wire. Use the Dynavin's reverse cam wire (green I think) and tap into the blue/yellow wire (you will need some extension wire as Dynavin wire is only a few inches long.
Hope people caught this tip. It sure helped me! So I have my camera on when key is on so I can flip to camera at any point. No relay, diode, etc... Then if you're listening to music etc...when you hit reverse the signal wire from the "tap" above goes to the Dynavin "reverse in" and unit kills music and switches camera as you're backing up. Above approach also saves you from having to run a wire from your reverse lights all the way up to the Dynavin.
Blue Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #99
BobSC

I did the install of the reverse camera today. Works like a champ. Every time the car is put in reverse, the camera automatically is on the screen. This is a very nice upgrade.

2007 750Li
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
Old 01-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #100
jbost002

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Quote:
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to "unhook the black box". Can anyone help?
jbost002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
location, reverse camera, zhp