E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #121
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSF View Post
I didn't know the trim pieces were different on facelift coupes. Maybe that's why it was so easy for me, and difficult for you. Other than the size, there must differences in the construction. I only had to remove it and take the light out from the bottom, I did not have to disassemble it.
And once I took apart the whole lip, there is a rubber dust cover looking thing AND a plastic piece that lines up the wires to get into the trunk. That didn't make sense... So the three wires coming from the grip lid lip thing are routed through a square plastic piece. Inside the square plastic is another piece of plastic to hold the wires in place. Outside of all of this plastic is a rubber piece and that is what touches the trunk lid. So much just for these three wires. I think they did this after getting complaints that the handle just falls off of the pre-facelift coupes.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #122
illogik

My Ride: 325i, A3
I'm looking for a camera to connect to a Dynavin and there's super helpful info in this thread . I found the camera mentioned on the first page.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Rear-View-Re...item3a5ef465cc
Based on the replies, there don't seem to be any fitment issues with sedans, but can anyone confirm?

Also found this one which appears to have a better light sensor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Rear-View-Ba...item33623ab42f
illogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #123
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by illogik View Post
I'm looking for a camera to connect to a Dynavin and there's super helpful info in this thread . I found the camera mentioned on the first page.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Rear-View-Re...item3a5ef465cc
Based on the replies, there don't seem to be any fitment issues with sedans, but can anyone confirm?

Also found this one which appears to have a better light sensor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Rear-View-Ba...item33623ab42f
The one in the first link is fine for sedans and the second camera is fine for sedans also but is better suited for coupes because it's not as deep therefore no modification is neccessary
Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #124
illogik

Thanks Darkoz. Looking at the install pictures, a shallower one definitely seem to be the way to go if retrofitting into the license plate light housing.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #125
krushal07

My Ride: BMW 3 series m
Hi all. Hoping someone would be able to help me. I am from the UK and just bought the Dynavin V5 from Jeff. I also wanted a rear camera for my coupe (post face lift - 2005 model) and noticed that only certain cameras require no modification for the Coupe's. I have looked at the one Darkoz mentioned above but noticed that the listing says TV System: NTSC... would this work in the UK or do i need a camera which is PAL? Any help would be great, as would a link for any recommended sellers (preferably UK, to save on postage, but otherwise anyone who also know which one would be compatible in the UK (and fit in a coupe)? Thanks!!
krushal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #126
illogik

Try sending the ebay vendors a message or checking their ebay stores - they have a pretty extensive list of cameras for various applications / locales.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #127
krushal07

My Ride: BMW 3 series m
Thanks.. I sent messages to a couple but they all seem to think there cameras will fit perfectly even though the measurement of the camera units appear difference. Thought i would be better off asking people that have had it done already. Appreciate the response!
krushal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #128
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushal07 View Post
Hi all. Hoping someone would be able to help me. I am from the UK and just bought the Dynavin V5 from Jeff. I also wanted a rear camera for my coupe (post face lift - 2005 model) and noticed that only certain cameras require no modification for the Coupe's. I have looked at the one Darkoz mentioned above but noticed that the listing says TV System: NTSC... would this work in the UK or do i need a camera which is PAL? Any help would be great, as would a link for any recommended sellers (preferably UK, to save on postage, but otherwise anyone who also know which one would be compatible in the UK (and fit in a coupe)? Thanks!!
As mentioned in your PM krushal, that camera will fit the coupe as it's not as deep as the cameras sold for sedans.
Most if not all reverse camera systems use NTSC no matter which region of the world you're in so that's what you need to use on your car.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #129
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
doesnt matter where you are or what format your camera is......that would only matter if you wanted to hook it up to the TV in your house, NTSC is fine for the dynaivn but it will accept a PAL signal as well......so the answer is "it doesnt matter". Just worry about the fit....thats where the problems arise.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #130
fadeaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
The one in the first link is fine for sedans and the second camera is fine for sedans also but is better suited for coupes because it's not as deep therefore no modification is neccessary
Just to clarify a bit. The second one is the one that I bought. It definitely requires modification for a facelift coupe. You end up cutting open the plastic of the housing and chopping off quite a bit. I'll try to post a pic later to make this thread more complete.

Also, as I've mentioned earlier, be careful with which wires you cut and have fun breaking a bunch of plastic tabs in the boot lid grip.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #131
fadeaway

I've been thinking about buying this one instead. The guy that wrote that long ass review of the v5 linked to it. The only thing about this cam I can see that will suck is that you have to drill a hole somewhere to get the wiring through. It still requires you to fully disassemble the trunk, shove wires through the annoying little rubber tube, and run wires to the front. Oh, and it's easy to steal.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...CCD-Black.html
Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #132
Darkoz

I personally think that the easiest camera to install is the one for the existing trunk key lock location, no disassebmling of the trunk handle and no cutting of existing wiring
Old 04-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #133
Yossy11

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG2
Unhappy Where should I connect "Reverse control wire" ??

Quote:
This might help.........
Hi Darkoz

Thanks a diagram.
I read all thread but still mystery about this "Reverse control wire" and "black box in glove box".

Where should I connect "Reverse control wire" ?

Last edited by Yossy11; 04-11-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Yossy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #134
fadeaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossy11 View Post
Hi Darkoz

Thanks a diagram.
I read all thread but still mystery about this "Reverse control wire" and "black box in glove box".

Where should I connect "Reverse control wire" ?
Seriously?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #135
m3-4aj

My Ride: e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to m3-4aj
I would like to check this out in person if possible - hit me up if you are in Socal -OC area with the reverse camera
m3-4aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #136
Hoebama

My Ride: e46
Got this reverse cam (BNIB) from an e46F member. He changed his mind, didnt want it, so I bought it from him. He's getting the round type that goes into the keyhole.

Im wondering if any of you have purchased a similar cam? I have a couple of question if I may.
On 1st pic, where do the tiny black and red wires attach to?
On 2nd pic, I think the yellow RCA - one end attaches to VIDEO IN on the DVN and the other end connects to reverse camera VIDEO OUT. But what are those red wires for and where do they connect to? And whyTH were the red wires cut short on both ends

Hope you can help out.

edited: pics uploaded
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RevCam.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	400104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wires2.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	400105  

Last edited by Hoebama; 04-12-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Hoebama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #137
Darkoz

- Red power wire from the camera goes to reverse light positive and negative goes to negative

- AV (video) Cable connects to the camera and your dynavin reverse cam RCA plug .

- If your camera has a reverse switch control wire on each end of the AV (video) cable , then one end of the wire coming out from the av cable connects to the 'reverse' control wire on the main Dynavin harness and the other end goes to reverse light positive.

Last edited by Darkoz; 04-12-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #138
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Just came here to say

Darkoz is the man

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #139
Hoebama

My Ride: e46
Quote:
- Red power wire from the camera goes to reverse light positive and negative goes to negative

- AV (video) Cable connects to the camera and your dynavin reverse cam RCA plug .

- If your camera has a reverse switch control wire on each end of the AV (video) cable , then one end of the wire coming out from the av cable connects to the 'reverse' control wire on the main Dynavin harness and the other end goes to reverse light positive.
Im assuming you were addressing my post? Sorry I forgot to upload the pics. it's there now. So same answer as above?

Last edited by Hoebama; 04-12-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Hoebama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #140
Yossy11

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG2
>DARKOZ

Thanks a lot to explain with photo.

That's exactly I wanna know where to connect the front end of red cable.

I will try it with confidence.
Yossy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
location, reverse camera, zhp