E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #41
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
ok the last update for the weekend.

First a couple of questions (e30 guys chime in plz):

1. The drain tube from the battery - it is supposed to run to the outside world, mine ends at a connector which means that if for some reason if it starts to overflow its gonna put a bunch of acid inside my fender - which will destroy my fender. How is it supposed to be properly routed?
2. How to get to the rear speakers? I still cant get the grill covers off. is there some screws somewhere?

Ok update time....

Pictures of Red tails mounted:



Installed a newer headunit. Very happy

new headunit



the new headunit went in great. Now I have Aux in and a much cleaner looking and working display. That means the old one goes for sale.


I also finished sorting through the box of stuff I got with it, a lot of it is going for sale if you like e30 stuff look here.

But I have a few questions:

What is this?


how about this(the silver curved metal bracket thing- the black is a plate holder)?



The previous owner installed new Bremi wires but not the distributor cap..... this will go on when I get ready to take engine apart
__________________

Last edited by mvrk10256; 11-23-2010 at 09:54 AM.
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #42
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 1,146
My Ride: 2005 ZHP BMW
Send a message via AIM to BimmerBrakes
Maksim,

Got a Question for you...How about E30 Headers?

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
BimmerBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #43
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony@BimmerBrakes View Post
Maksim,

Got a Question for you...How about E30 Headers?

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
ohh its happening. headers + y pipe+3"straight pipe+ magnaflow muffler =
__________________

Last edited by mvrk10256; 10-25-2010 at 10:01 PM.
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #44
Tate325xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CO (home) & FL (school)
Posts: 617
My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
Any new updates?
__________________
-Tate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #45
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate325xi View Post
Any new updates?
afraid not. being buttraped by school, and I gotta put a new suspension on my bike. But there is like 5 weeks left in the semester so I get to start ordering stuff soon
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #46
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 34,072
My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
But I have a few questions:

What is this?


how about this(the silver curved metal bracket thing- the black is a plate holder)?


Theyre both exhaust hangers. I think the rubber thing is a hanger and the silver bracket is the hanger that goes around the muffler
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #47
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdown View Post
Theyre both exhaust hangers. I think the rubber thing is a hanger and the silver bracket is the hanger that goes around the muffler
Thanks, thats the conclusion I came to as well
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #48
330performance
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hannover Germany
Posts: 4,159
My Ride: the evil-diesel
having worked on a couple of e30s in the past i can assure you that both of those pieces are part of the exhaust mounting.

great looking e30 btw... the red tails look really good!!!
330performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #49
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330performance View Post
having worked on a couple of e30s in the past i can assure you that both of those pieces are part of the exhaust mounting.

great looking e30 btw... the red tails look really good!!!
thanks I was really happy with the way they turned out.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #50
werc1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF
Posts: 386
My Ride: M3, RR, Sierra
cool project. love e30's
werc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #51
RXP rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: camdenton mo
Posts: 880
My Ride: E46 325Ci 04'
^ e30 m3, h3ll yes.

Tails turned out nice, need to do that to mine.
__________________
RXP rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #52
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by werc1 View Post
cool project. love e30's
m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXP rider View Post
^ e30 m3, h3ll yes.

Tails turned out nice, need to do that to mine.
thanks.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #53
neil1138
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,240
Moar!

<3
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:27 AM   #54
Andy2108
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,037
My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
In!

Im starting to really like the E30 and E36 even more than before
__________________


De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #55
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
Moar!

<3
ENA and DC are kicking my ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
In!

Im starting to really like the E30 and E36 even more than before
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #56
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
So another small update. Next week I have 3 EE tests in a 24 hour period. this sucks, so my attention is going to be on that. However after next week (think next thursday) I am gonna start ordering parts. I have also come to a dilema I need some help with.

the engine realistically has 200K on it. original head. I have a newer head (about 80K) but that one needs to be cleaned and needs a new cam. My current head is just fine (as far as I know). It it worth getting a new cam and rebuilding the extra head? One of the cam lobes is worn (best guess is oil starvation due to clogged channel) I am planning on upping the injectors and some other engine components. Also the current head gasket leaks a bit of oil out the back so it is getting replaced anyway. This means I will be pulling the head anyway. Is it worth the cash to rebuild the other one and swap or should I just bolt this one back on? All this said I plan on getting boost somewhere in the next year so I was gonna run a stock cam anyway. I cant really store the car anywhere for days at a time w/o a working engine, so if I swap I am going to build the newer head and just swap.

All that said, the plan for the short term is MAF, tuning(chip) , exhaust, electric fan conversion, 24# injectors as the base engine mods.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #57
Tate325xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CO (home) & FL (school)
Posts: 617
My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
c'mon give us at least a mini update. threads like this get me through the day!
__________________
-Tate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #58
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate325xi View Post
c'mon give us at least a mini update. threads like this get me through the day!
I havnt even driven the car for like a week. no time. too much school. 3 tests next week. updates after that.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #59
Len013091
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 3,956
My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
So another small update. Next week I have 3 EE tests in a 24 hour period. this sucks, so my attention is going to be on that. However after next week (think next thursday) I am gonna start ordering parts. I have also come to a dilema I need some help with.

the engine realistically has 200K on it. original head. I have a newer head (about 80K) but that one needs to be cleaned and needs a new cam. My current head is just fine (as far as I know). It it worth getting a new cam and rebuilding the extra head? One of the cam lobes is worn (best guess is oil starvation due to clogged channel) I am planning on upping the injectors and some other engine components. Also the current head gasket leaks a bit of oil out the back so it is getting replaced anyway. This means I will be pulling the head anyway. Is it worth the cash to rebuild the other one and swap or should I just bolt this one back on? All this said I plan on getting boost somewhere in the next year so I was gonna run a stock cam anyway. I cant really store the car anywhere for days at a time w/o a working engine, so if I swap I am going to build the newer head and just swap.

All that said, the plan for the short term is MAF, tuning(chip) , exhaust, electric fan conversion, 24# injectors as the base engine mods.
Do the miller MAF, you won't regret it. Best $350 I've spent on a car. Also, go with 19# injectors and the software for them. Pickup a set of long tubes too. As for the head, I'd just clean it up and check it for run out, then putit back on with a new gasket. I beat the absolute hell out of my M20 with about 280k miles on it (before the odo stopped) and it's doing just fine. 7k redline too.

Last edited by Len013091; 11-05-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #60
kpeng
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 25,675
My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
You have the exact same headunit as what's in my E30 right now, that picture freaked me out for a second. I'm going to get rid of it though, I don't really like it.

What was the process you used to do the all-red tails? What paint?
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
325i, bmw, e30, project, track

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use