E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #61
Len013091

My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
You have the exact same headunit as what's in my E30 right now, that picture freaked me out for a second. I'm going to get rid of it though, I don't really like it.

What was the process you used to do the all-red tails? What paint?
Candy apple red from any model paint/hobby store. (I forgot the exact brand). Lightly sand the whole tail light, then mask the clear section. Spray the amber parts till it is just a tad darker than the rest of the light. Spray the rest of the light till its all the same, darker color. Allow to dry. Remove tape over the reverse light. Wetsand the light with 1000, 1500, and then 2000 grit if you want. Be careful to use even pressure to ensure even color. Wipe them down and allow to dry. Use acrylic clear coat (found at autozone). Do two or three light coats and let cure over night. Wetsand and buff the lights and you're all done.
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #62
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len013091 View Post
Do the miller MAF, you won't regret it. Best $350 I've spent on a car. Also, go with 19# injectors and the software for them. Pickup a set of long tubes too. As for the head, I'd just clean it up and check it for run out, then putit back on with a new gasket. I beat the absolute hell out of my M20 with about 280k miles on it (before the odo stopped) and it's doing just fine. 7k redline too.

Why pay way more money for the Miller MAF as I am not going to use his tuning. Seems overpriced when I can get a clean MAF for $50 and wire it in. I am going with 24# injectors and Ostrich 2.0 Chip so I can program.

Quote:
You have the exact same headunit as what's in my E30 right now, that picture freaked me out for a second. I'm going to get rid of it though, I don't really like it.

What was the process you used to do the all-red tails? What paint?
Its better than the one I had in there. Not really much of a car audiobuff. The DIY and the materials can be found here.

Just call ahead cause my local HobbyTown had to order the candy red paint for me. I simply washed it, and painted it. I painted the whole tail light though to give it an even look. If you were local I would just do it for you since I have extra paint left over. I went with 4 layers both red and clear.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #63
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Thank you kind sir
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #64
mvrk10256

Quote:
Thank you kind sir
not a problem good luck
Old 11-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #65
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Ohh wish I could come to your garage and work on this beauty whenever you need extra hands lol
But my skills may not be sufficient to assist you
Anyway, sub'ed! MOAR updates!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #66
Lunatikz|E46

My Ride: Slow
In
Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #67
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89 View Post
Ohh wish I could come to your garage and work on this beauty whenever you need extra hands lol
But my skills may not be sufficient to assist you
Anyway, sub'ed! MOAR updates!
believe me i want to provide updates even more thanyou guys wanna read them. All help is always empty. just shoot me a pm if your interested in helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDallas|E46 View Post
In
Old 11-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #68
Len013091

My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
Why pay way more money for the Miller MAF as I am not going to use his tuning. Seems overpriced when I can get a clean MAF for $50 and wire it in. I am going with 24# injectors and Ostrich 2.0 Chip so I can program.

Its better than the one I had in there. Not really much of a car audiobuff. The DIY and the materials can be found here.

Just call ahead cause my local HobbyTown had to order the candy red paint for me. I simply washed it, and painted it. I painted the whole tail light though to give it an even look. If you were local I would just do it for you since I have extra paint left over. I went with 4 layers both red and clear.
You'd be surprised at how well works. It's not as simple as a maf and a wiring change. And the tuning kicks ass. Much more midrange and top end. Still passes smog too (in TN,, 220ppm HC at idle) without a cat.
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #69
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len013091 View Post
You'd be surprised at how well works. It's not as simple as a maf and a wiring change. And the tuning kicks ass. Much more midrange and top end. Still passes smog too (in TN,, 220ppm HC at idle) without a cat.
ya, the Miller stuff is a good product, I do not deny that. But realistically I see no reason a used MAF with an Ostrich 2.0 is not a better system, as long as your willing to tune your car. I mean I can change the mapping to whatever I want and there already exist tuner pro files for me to use as building blocks.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #70
mvrk10256

Well its time for a small update.

so I finally have some time to devote to the car so I went to my parents to try to get the radio wired to the speakers using the stock wires. no dice.

somewhere between the speakers and the headunit the wires were cut so I had nothing to connect to. having spent too long figuring this out it was dark so I decided to go to harbor freight to take advantage of their November coupons.

about 2 minutes from my house the brake pedal fall through the floor. great. I turn around and go home. fill up with brake fluid and get back on the road. came home and checked it again and thankfully it was still as full as I left it. good thing I didn't goto an autocross last weekend

I got some stuff from hf that's gonna help big time with the work the car sis going to get soon. I need to take this weekend to finalize my shopping list and place orders Monday.

I decided I am going to rebuild one of the heads so I can have a new clean head to go on the car along with the rest of he parts. also in the next few days I am going to take the time to hardware the radar detector. also I am going to steal kpengs idea and make a cupholder/phone mount for the e30 so look for that DIY in the next few days.

Last edited by mvrk10256; 11-13-2010 at 01:11 AM.
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #71
mvrk10256

So another 3 hours later update.

Fact - my brake reserviour is leaking. I am fairly certain its the seal at the bottom of the reserviour. But I need to examine more closely. Also the head gasket kit includes all the gaskets I need to rebuild the head. Unfortunatly I dont have the stuff to fix the brakes at the moment but since the car isnt really driven right now it will be ok.

So here is what I did today.

DISCLAIMER: I totally stole kpengs idea. I admit it, but i work faster. so ha.

Stuff I bought today.

yup thats a gallon of brakleen - 18 bucks at Orielly. the wood is what I was going to use but it cracked like the pine it was, got some particle board instead.

stock ashtray. this **** was nasty.

$5 phone charger being adapted for car mode.

fits great and works well too.

originl design, I wanted 1 cupholder and a slot to use my phone as GPS and to charge it.

a 3" hole bit costs like $25 - this is strickly a $10 and under prject so I refused it.

smoothing it out nicely./

cut out the slot for the phone. pay attention to the angle of the slit - that was done with a file afterwards. I used a chisel to cut out the hole - so old school

the extra piece to hold everything flat and give it depth

test fitting - it not actually screwed down in this image....

basically when it is screwed down it fits in there pretty snuggly. I still need to get some black vinyl to wrap it, as well as making a bottom piece to give the cupholder a base so you cant see the edge through the hole.

I also am going to find some time to hardwire the radar detector in the next few days. Basically tackle all the small nonsense before jumping into the big stuff.

I need to figure out this brake situation, and place my orders for parts on monday so there will be more updates, more rapidly as we move forward.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #72
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
i'm really impressed with this project. how are you going to wire in the phone charger? i followed your DIY for the USB ports, but wired mine into the fuse box to avoid having to cut my factory wiring. it's working quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #73
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate325xi View Post
i'm really impressed with this project. how are you going to wire in the phone charger? i followed your DIY for the USB ports, but wired mine into the fuse box to avoid having to cut my factory wiring. it's working quite well.
i guess I didnt take a good picture, but i basically soldered spade connectors into the convertor ports. then I simply plugged them into the connectors for lighter.

thanks for the kind words.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #74
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
^ Nice Meetin you today
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #75
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
^ Nice Meetin you today

ya. it was nice meeting all oyu guys. how did the other show go?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #76
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
ya. it was nice meeting all oyu guys. how did the other show go?
It was fun. Meet up with Andy and Just One Team and few other BMW Guys. Cooked out as well

-TrippinBimmer
Old 11-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #77
mvrk10256

gah. you need to let me know when these events are going down. I need to make it out to more of them.,
Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #78
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
gah. you need to let me know when these events are going down. I need to make it out to more of them.,
DMA this weekend at Lincoln Tech in Grand Prairie.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #79
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
DMA this weekend at Lincoln Tech in Grand Prairie.
are you guys all going? I am gonna have to figure out the details and try to make it.

2915 Alouette Dr
Grand Prairie, TX 75052

and its all indoors?

Last edited by mvrk10256; 11-14-2010 at 10:11 PM.
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #80
hotkarl

My Ride: ZHP
I work at Turbomeca, just around the corner from there.

Is this an invitation only event?

FAIL
hotkarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325i, bmw, e30, project, track