E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
honhatch
Banned

My Ride: bimmer
after installin h&r race springs my car sits lower on one side

Like title says. i lowered the car since its been lowerd the driver side is about .25 in higher then the passenger side. i raised the car up on a lift and looked at both sides and springs are seated in the shocks and cups right. could i of missed something. i got 00 328ci h&r race springs on stock stocks and struts. thanks
honhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
BMWespresso

My Ride: 2005 325CI
very normal, mine was .5" different before the drop and after the drop around .25"
Old 11-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWespresso View Post
very normal, mine was .5" different before the drop and after the drop around .25"
the hell?

that is most defnitly not normal.

i just did the same swap yesterday and my car is completly level.

so list of things that get messed with.
trailing arms, sway bars, struts, rear shocks. you should not have messed with anythign else when doing this. possible issue.. the lower mount of the struts, the strut just slides in so make sure it was slid in all the way before you tightened the compression lock.

really cant think of why the back would be different except that if the spring didnt seat properly on the top mounting stub.

good luck, get it fixed, and dont forget to get aligned .
Old 11-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
1importroadster

My Ride: 2001 330i Sport
I have a similar problem, but i am running bone stock (i plan on upgrades soon) but my car sits a full inch low on the right rear. i work for a bmw dealership and was able to get my car on a lift in the shop. one of my tech friends looked at it can can't see anything wrong, but said that the rear shock going bad. I wonder though.....if the shock mount is bad or broken can you see it enough to know? 1 inch seems like alot to me!

2001 330i sport 5 spd, Alcantara M-
steering wheel, 20% Window Tint, Hotchkis Sport Springs, Koni-str.t Struts 18in ZHP M-wheels.
1importroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
maybe you guys are just fat?
firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Kris.R

My Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger
You guys crack me up. Arguing like little females. Our cars sit lower on the passenger side no matter if you drive a sedan or a coupe. Its BMW's "weight compensation" design engineering with ONLY the driver in mind. My sedan was like that, and now my coupe also (H&R Race w/Bilstein Sports btw). Live with it, because as little difference there is in the gap, it wont make a difference at all.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-Abraham Lincoln-
Kris.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
socalbeast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Ur shock is bad-

I hit a few dips hard in my time and it threw my ride height off ,

replace all 4 shock/struts at same time-

Previous ownwer maybe replaced 1 or 2 and that caused uneven wear-
socalbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:44 AM   #8
Safar

My Ride: comes with blow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-E46 View Post
You guys crack me up. Arguing like little females. Our cars sit lower on the passenger side no matter if you drive a sedan or a coupe. Its BMW's "weight compensation" design engineering with ONLY the driver in mind. My sedan was like that, and now my coupe also (H&R Race w/Bilstein Sports btw). Live with it, because as little difference there is in the gap, it wont make a difference at all.
This man speaks the truth.
If I were you I'd be worried if the driver side sits lower than normal, but the passenger side should be a little lower (empty car) by design.
1987 Suzuki VS1400
1996 Suzuki LS650 Sold
1984 Kawasaki 305CSR RIP

Went from 305cc > 650cc > 1400cc > 2800cc
No prizes for guessing what my next engine will be...

Safar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
honhatch
Banned

thanks for the info. me and my boy put the car up on the lift and messed with it for a good while everything we perfectly fine but still couldnt figure it out. at least i know why my car sits sideway lol.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
kaotek323i

My Ride: red 1999 323i
ya my car did that also..
VF stage1, v2 compressor w/ v1 internals, ebay headers
kaotek323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #11
KwhyLE

My Ride: 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-E46 View Post
Its BMW's "weight compensation" design engineering with ONLY the driver in mind. My sedan was like that, and now my coupe also (H&R Race w/Bilstein Sports btw). Live with it, because as little difference there is in the gap, it wont make a difference at all.
+1

if you hardpark your car you should be worried about this....

get in the drivers seat and watch the eyes follow.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
If the car is lower, 1" or more on only one corner its usually because of a sagging spring.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #13
honhatch
Banned

the only reason why it really bothered me was cause we tryin to fit m3 wheels on my car. and since the driver side was higher it didnt rub as bad as the passenger side. but we cut, and cut, and flared and got the wheels to fit. now gotta get body work done.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
1importroadster

My Ride: 2001 330i Sport
Thanks guys, i went ahead and dropped my car with fresh Hotchkis springs koni shocks/struts today. Everythings great now except it needs an alignment for sure!

2001 330i sport 5 spd, Alcantara M-
steering wheel, 20% Window Tint, Hotchkis Sport Springs, Koni-str.t Struts 18in ZHP M-wheels.
1importroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Bump for a similar issue...

My drivers side sits 1/4" lower on the drivers side after a week on a new H&R Cup kit and around 150 miles driven... should I wait a little longer for them to settle or should I start worrying? It's only 1/4" but it's still noticeable... so there's no design compensation going on here... any ideas? I rarely have passengers could that even make a difference?
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote