E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Keith Billanti

My Ride: TitanSilber//M3
Windows go down- all by themselves.

Yes- i have searched. I have read a lot of threads. None of them seem to ever have a definitive closing- where we know 100% that the problem was fixed. LOL Or at least it seems.

I have a 2004 M3- 87k on it.. and for the last few weeks- I have been enjoying coming out to a car with open windows/roof and doors unlocked. Today- my car had the audacity to do it in front of me- repeatedly.

After cursing the car out- pleading.. WHY OH WHY.. I TREAT YOU LIKE GOLD>>> WHY DO YOU DO THIS?? I finally pulled fuse 49 and walked away. I have no power windows or door locks now.

I read SOMEwhere- that this could be a bad connection at the door/frame? where moisture is getting in, causing a short.

I have read door actuator

I have read remote antenna

I have read leaky windshield seal

I am not a millionaire- I dont have money to throw at this right now.. is there anyone out there with some valid input on this (its not me holding my FOB button)

thanks guys
Keith Billanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I had a friend with a 2004 Imola Red M3. He was super-fanatical about his car. Always garaged, rarely saw rain. Only had 4,200 miles after 3 years of ownership. If weather looked bad he drove his E-series merc to work.

His did the same thing about 9 months into ownership. I seriously, seriously doubt it was water anywhere in the car. He took it to the dealership and they reflashed his DME, and replaced his central locking switch. It never happened again.

That might be it, but you never really know with electrical gremlins like this.

GL

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Keith Billanti

right on- I have also read that heat/cold could have something to do with this..

this is not a fun time.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Keith Billanti

No one else?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
BusaNoob

My Ride: AW 06 330ci ZHP
The simplest cheapest thing would be unplug the battery for hour or so. Maybe that will clear something out of the ecu. Otherwise off to the stealer !
BusaNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Drivers door lock actuator needs to be replaced.

Should be item #1 in this link - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...54&hg=41&fg=40

See this thread as well, look closely at the last few posts - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=windows+open

There are only 2 things that can control the windows/top/sunroof and doors when the car is off, the driver door lock actuator and the keyfob. The keyfob had too many steps before the signal is sent to the GM5 module, the drivers door lock actuator is subject to a lot dust, moisture, shock and vibration.

I also think if you tend to use the door lock to open and close the windows/top/sunroof often, you are more likely to have issues with the actuator??
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Keith Billanti

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually did some wrenching today as I cant drive around without the fuse in (no wipers).

I disconnected the plug at the door/body= went for a drive. No problems. No window though.

I then tore the door down and disconnected the actuator. Still no problem, but at least I have window functionality.

Ill be ordering the actuator momentarily. Might email one of the guys parting a car out first though as there was a car with 30k on it being parted out. If it is cost effective, ill go that route.

thanks for the input!

this car sure would suck If i couldnt turn a wrench. (i sure dont have the deepest pockets)
KB
Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
It's caused by a cracked windowshield cowl cover allowing water to go where it shouldn't.

Here is a DIY http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=373451

Part number 51718208483. Cost is $47.13 plus shipping from getbmwparts.com

Last edited by scottjoh; 10-04-2010 at 05:25 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Keith Billanti

which part is this?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
scottjoh

I think you have a bad key fob. It intermittantly transmits a continuous unlock signal which causes all the doors to unlock and the windows to open.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
Keith Billanti

Actually- as per 2 posts up= i have isolated the problem to the actuator- just as most of the other threads as well as a post or two in here have alluded to.

Part ordered- 106.00 from tischer.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
mal1110

My Ride: 2001 325i
theres nothing worse than loving something and caring for it and having it crap all over you
mal1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Keith Billanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal1110 View Post
theres nothing worse than loving something and caring for it and having it crap all over you

so true.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
scottjoh

Disregard my two earlier posts. I was just being a dick because cowl cover and bad key had not been mentioned yet.

To recap. Reflash DME, central locking button, unplug battery for an hour, door lock actuator, cowl cover and bad key fob.

I strongly believe that the culprit is the driver's door - door lock actuator. And that is because I believe the hall effect device which senses the position of the lock in the actuator is going bad and falsely sensing that the lock cylinder is turned. Not because of dust and moisture because that assembly is very well sealed as is the connector.

One more thing. If your door lock key cylinder is broken (lock turns 180 degrees with no resistance) then replace that first and only replace the actuator if the doors and windows open by themselve again. This is because lock position sensor is probably not in the correct position, but, turned partially to unlock.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
Keith Billanti

Nope= (knock on wood) lock cylinder appears to work properly. Thats how i am locking my door right now.

My wind shield cowl-- could use a replacing. I will likely do that shortley.

Kicking my self as I just remembered that I wanted to order a new temp sensor as well. Damnit.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #16
sparker92

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via AIM to sparker92
I had this exact same problem. Cost me $200 bucks for parts and labor from a mechanic specializing in BMWs, not a dealership. It was caused from me pulling my door panel off to put in new speakers and not correctly installing the door panel. It started off by locking... whining... unlocking it self 10 seconds later. Then 5 minutes pass, windows go down. Depending on the cars mood, this time was sometimes 20 minutes after leaving the car, the windows go down. I kind of ignored it for a long time and then wintertime hit, I had just gotten out of school, walked out to my car. 1 inch of snow on the seats and ice on the inside of the windshield (which by the way is not easy to get off with an ice scraper because of the curve of the scraper). I was livid having spent 20 minutes trying to get the ice and snow out of my car! I thought it was the key at first, and ordered a new one. That didn't work. So I unplugged the window buttons, hoping that would help... but nope. they rolled down after 3-5 minutes and had to plug the buttons in again to get them up. At this point I didn't know what todo, so I took it to a mechanic, he told me exactly what the problem was and fixed it when the actuator came in 3 days later. No problems whatsoever now.

Sorry for the novel, just thought I would share, as this is kind of an important topic where so many things can go wrong.
sparker92 is offline   Reply With Quote