E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Curious about octane boosters

I have seen octane boosters that you can buy in the parts stores and wondered if they really do boost octane and, if true, to what number octane rating - 100? 110? 115? - from 93 octane at the pump? The information on the bottles is very vague, saying that it boosts octane but nothing more.

TIA,
Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
RAFF112

My Ride: 325ci M3 cbr 600rr
save your money for something else.

VCSL Front 18/13 Spacers Full Borla V2 K&N drop-in w/custom tube LED Interior air horn BMW performance shift Knob Seibon Hood LED DRL Dynavin Depo corners RE rear camber arms and Vogtland Springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
I used to think love exists. Turns out it's a manifestation of insecurities and boredom.
RAFF112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
need4spd

My Ride: M3 with CSL trunk!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFF112 View Post
save your money for something else.
Agreed
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Fuerza

My Ride: XXX
Torco Accelerator is the only real octane increasing booster. It is sold in 32 ounce cans where race fuel is sold, usually. If your lucky a local Orielly auto parts may have it. The octane increase is determined by what your starting fuel is and how much. If you search google you should be able to find the right mixing ratios.
Fuerza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
vic930

My Ride: boosted m3
save your money for real race gas
vic930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
4dr05zhp6mt

My Ride: e66 Monaco Blue
Send a message via AIM to 4dr05zhp6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
I have seen octane boosters that you can buy in the parts stores and wondered if they really do boost octane and, if true, to what number octane rating - 100? 110? 115? - from 93 octane at the pump? The information on the bottles is very vague, saying that it boosts octane but nothing more.

TIA,
Jim
Hey Jim, you up and running ? I looked at using octane boosters a little while ago, mainly do to a couple situations where the car does not act right. One of those is driving the car in 5th between 1-2k roll on the gas to me it feels like it stutters. Adding the octane booster never really changed anything. The tune for the stage II is pretty aggressive. Did you get a tune for 91 or 93?

SOLD05 330i 4dr zhp 6MT Jet Black | AA C38-81 S/C, 80mm pulley, water/meth injection | AA headers | Vac Motorsport 248/256 FI cams |

https://www.4shared.com/account/home...edir=105531274 (link to INPA v5, GTv44, EDIABAS, EasyDIS

Last edited by 4dr05zhp6mt; 10-05-2010 at 06:12 PM.
4dr05zhp6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
milKt

My Ride: air/fire
You could install a Methanol Injection system?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
BadBoostedBmwM3

My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adgar View Post
Torco Accelerator is the only real octane increasing booster. It is sold in 32 ounce cans where race fuel is sold, usually. If your lucky a local Orielly auto parts may have it. The octane increase is determined by what your starting fuel is and how much. If you search google you should be able to find the right mixing ratios.
This stuff sounds very interesting!

It was a good read because I have never heard of it.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Fuerza

My Ride: XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
This stuff sounds very interesting!

It was a good read because I have never heard of it.
Thanks it is legit stuff. When I had my supercharged Cobra I would run some Torco with my engine when I would hit the drag strip. It is a nice safty precaution and it works great. Here is the mixing chart for those that didn't find it online.

http://torcoracefuel.net/2-docs/acce...lend-chart.gif
Fuerza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
When I ran their octain booster, my car would shoot blue flames...lol I thought it was cool, how ever the washington state patrol did not.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Octane Boosters can raise your octane rating by only .5 -2 points depending on what fuel you start with, so a pretty negligible amount. I would not use it for anything other than insurance on a fi car because the results vary and a little detonation can be catastrophic on an engine that is putting out twice the factory horsepower. When you add a bottle of octane booster, in essence you are adding 12oz 0r 20 oz of high octane fuel to 16 gallons of 91 or 93 octane fuel. Depending on the octane rating and volume of the booster, the rating might increase to maybe 94 from 93. You will get better results from mixing a gallon of 110 in with 15 gallons due to the volume of high octane fuel you are adding. (1 gallon 110 to 15 gallons 93 vs 12oz 110 to 16 gallons 93). I have used octane boosters in the past to get rid of a part throttle ping on an NA car, which only needed the extra 1-1.5 octane points. Personally, I probably would not even use octane booster in a FI car because it may provide a false sense of security. Meth injection is a much better option for added peace of mind.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
When I ran their octain booster, my car would shoot blue flames...lol I thought it was cool, how ever the washington state patrol did not.
Hahaha Thats awesome man.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
BadBoostedBmwM3

My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adgar View Post
Thanks it is legit stuff. When I had my supercharged Cobra I would run some Torco with my engine when I would hit the drag strip. It is a nice safty precaution and it works great. Here is the mixing chart for those that didn't find it online.

http://torcoracefuel.net/2-docs/acce...lend-chart.gif
Quote:
So, would you all use it again??
Old 10-08-2010, 03:22 AM   #14
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...348&highlight=

Here's a thread that might have some useful info 4 u.
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Then, what about E85?

Got some good ideas here and they are really appreciated.
Then, what about E85? I can buy this at several nearby stations.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #16
Matt Q

My Ride: Jezebel
I use Liqui-Moly Octane plus with EVERY tank even though I'm no longer FI.. and when I go HPF I will run it when I'm in the pump setting....

I agree that it only raises octane by a little.. the better your fuel the less it does and visa versa

However.. it's a good thing to have on hand if (like us in South Africa) you don't have access to good fuel.. then I would recommend it PURELY as a precaution and not for any amazing power gains. The Torco is the best in terms of power gains however it is VERY expensive.. the liqui Moly works out at around $8 per tank if you buy it in bulk and it's German TUV approved

M3. ONLY BETTER
Matt Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #17
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Quote:
I would totally try this out JUST for the flames
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote