E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Stay with E46? or trade for 2010 or 11 WRX
Yes 38 59.38%
No 21 32.81%
Maybe 5 7.81%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #41
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
While your new car is loosing probably at least $100 a month in the first few years in resale value I would hope you're not having to dump the same monthly into a 9 year old car.

Last edited by MacFady; 10-07-2010 at 07:58 AM.
MacFady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #42
habbyguy

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
While your new car is loosing probably at least $100 a month in the first few years in resale value I would hope you're not having to dump the same monthly into a 9 year old car.
Yeah, I'd sa "at least $100 a month" is a safe estimate. More like $3-500 a month on a $30K car is more like it (at least for the first few years). If you're having to put that kind of money into a used car to keep it running (and it doesn't have a prancing horse on the hood), it's time for a different (though not new) car...
Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #43
stolidog

My Ride: 2004 M3 6spd
The only reason they are giving you $7k if you buy a new car is because the car price has been marked up to compensate for giving you more money on your trade in.
stolidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #44
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
The e46 is a lot nicer than the Subaru, I drove the Subaru today because the e46 doesn't have a spare tire at the moment.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #45
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
Yeah, I'd sa "at least $100 a month" is a safe estimate. More like $3-500 a month on a $30K car is more like it (at least for the first few years). If you're having to put that kind of money into a used car to keep it running (and it doesn't have a prancing horse on the hood), it's time for a different (though not new) car...
so you're saying a $25,000 car would be worth $10k after 3 years

There's CPO Subarus 3 years old still going for 80% of their original value.
Retail on an 07 STI with 50k miles is 28K. They don't do too bad in that hold-value department. Kiddies love those cars.

I say you're closer to the $100 per month
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #46
jcns

My Ride: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
It's all relative. You'll be spending your money on maintenance/repairs on an older car, or car payments on a new car w/ a warranty. At least with a new car, you have some sort of concrete idea/stability on how much cash you will dish out each month whereas on a used car, anything can happen.
How much do you really spend on maintenance per year on your car? I don't think I spend more $1000/yr in maintenance. Years I spend less than that, I put the money away and over a few years I know something major is going to break and I am covered.
If you assume $200/mo in car payment(yes, it's low), that's $2,400 in payment and you still need to pay for maintenance. Plus insurance on newer and/or financed cars tend to be higher.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #47
jcns

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
With a new car interest rate depends on credit score, nothing else

If they pay his car off he has 0 payments 0 to add

So let's say a 5 year loan on $25000+tax/tag, title, dealer fees he's at $27,500

that's $480 w/ 0 down

DO IT
you forgot to add interest and higher insurance premiums for a new car.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #48
jcns

Quote:
DO IT!!! I was looking at the STI myself but I can't see myself in a Subaru at all. If it suits you, and they're paying off your POS, let it go! Put a few bucks in the Subie and go hunt M3s and 335s Your payment won't be that much if they give you 7k for your car. I did the math the other day, maybe $350-450 depending on what u put down and you'll get a brand new warranty. Imagine that worry free driving They actually have a lease deal for the base WRX for like $309 and finance at 1.9%. You're just losing money everyday you keep that BMW

gl

http://www.subaru.com/special-offers/index.html
1.9% interest plus depreciation on a new car much greater than depreciation on his E46.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #49
habbyguy

Quote:
so you're saying a $25,000 car would be worth $10k after 3 years
Read much?

My example was for a $30K car, and I said "$3-500 a month", which would indicate a depreciation of beween $10,800 (low) and $18,000 (high)... but most cars will certainly fall into that range.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #50
howie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
you forgot to add interest and higher insurance premiums for a new car.
No I didn't, those number were with 1.9% and zero down insurance is a different story, based on age and record of course.

Quote:
Read much?

My example was for a $30K car, and I said "$3-500 a month", which would indicate a depreciation of beween $10,800 (low) and $18,000 (high)... but most cars will certainly fall into that range.
yes I read your nonsense, hence my reply. Regardless of the price based on your "estimates" losing $18k on a WRX in 3 years is unheard of (starts at $25k base without rebates).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
1.9% interest plus depreciation on a new car much greater than depreciation on his E46.
that's b/c he's driving a 10 year old car compared to a new car w/ warranty and much greater value and much more fun to drive. Don't give me this non-sense about APR and value decline when his current car loan is probably more like 5.9% PLUS which is losing way more money than its saving him + repairs! Not to mention 100k miles + at some point in the near future if its not yet there.

Last edited by howie; 10-07-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #51
habbyguy

Quote:
yes I read your nonsense, hence my reply. Regardless of the price based on your "estimates" losing $18k on a WRX in 3 years is unheard of (starts at $25k base without rebates).
Sigh... Read it again, please. I put the depreciation in a range (you do understand that concept, don't you?).

And trade-in value on a typical WRX that's 3 years old IS down $10K or more from the new price. A new WRS STi goes for $35K, while a 3 year old model has a blue book price of $21K. A new Limited WRX Hatch goes for $29K, while a 3 year old model blue books out at under $15K. A stripper model goes for a little over $25K new, and is worth under $15K in 3 years.

I'm also curious about your seeming umbrage of the fact that the depreciation and interest costs on the new car will be much, much higher than his current costs. Is that really a debatable issue?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #52
JDE330CI

My Ride: 330ci
yeah you should get it, if thats what you happy!
JDE330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #53
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane22 View Post
subarus are crap. Fast perhaps, but absolutely terrible otherwise.
+1
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #54
mstkenny04

My Ride: BMW 325ci 2001
Send a message via Skype™ to mstkenny04
All valid points gents/ girls if any... I have decided really to keep my E46 coop... just would like some stuff for it get it looking fresh. The car is in great shape. Thinking of cleaning up some interior any ideas? Pillars? Need some replacements for all 4 a,b, and c.. anyone got some extra parts sitting around or anything they selling? Hit me up. Btw, this helped me a lot. Thanks forum, funny discussions and very debatable aruments haha..

Sent from my DROID2 using BimmerApp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	378746  
mstkenny04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #55
CoconutPete

My Ride: E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstkenny04 View Post
Stay with E46? or trade for 2010 or 11 WRX
Yes
No
Maybe
If someone answers "yes' then what does that even mean? Yes: stay with e46 or Yes: trade ?

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
Extra Credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3"
not "I'm looking for a M3".
-----------
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #56
howie

Quote:
Sigh... Read it again, please. I put the depreciation in a range (you do understand that concept, don't you?).

And trade-in value on a typical WRX that's 3 years old IS down $10K or more from the new price. A new WRS STi goes for $35K, while a 3 year old model has a blue book price of $21K. A new Limited WRX Hatch goes for $29K, while a 3 year old model blue books out at under $15K. A stripper model goes for a little over $25K new, and is worth under $15K in 3 years.

I'm also curious about your seeming umbrage of the fact that the depreciation and interest costs on the new car will be much, much higher than his current costs. Is that really a debatable issue?
I dunno where you're getting your information from as far as what the cars are worth after 3 years. I work at a dealership and I can see all the Subarus in the nation for sale currently in inventory and none of them have depriciated at the rate you're speaking of.

It's not really a debatable issue since you're comparing apples to oranges. U can't compare a new car at 1.9 to a 10 year old car at some ridiculous rate. It's up to the consumer to pick his poison. Personally I would go with the new at 1.9 + warranty + more fun. This forum is pretty biased as it is, so I wonder what the subie forums would argue...probly not for the e46

Last edited by howie; 10-08-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #57
habbyguy

Quote:
I dunno where you're getting your information from as far as what the cars are worth after 3 years. I work at a dealership and I can see all the Subarus in the nation for sale currently in inventory and none of them have depriciated at the rate you're speaking of.
The difference is that you're looking at it from a resale value, and I'm using the trade-in value (big difference).

But since the OP is buying THIS car (potentially) by trading his old car in at a dealership, that's really the most logical way to approach this.

If you'd like to take the Kelly Blue Book values to task, fine... I'm just using it as a way to determine the likely value of a 3-year old Subie when it's driven back to the dealer to trade it in. The fact that you are no doubt selling used Subies for more than the trade-in value doesn't affect this scenario at all.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #58
Hukerfaker

My Ride: My wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
All of you should move out of your houses and into something you can afford. For most of you, that will be a tent in the woods where camping is free.
You're being rude, dude. Or just plain idiot. Pardon my french. Go back to school.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #59
i heart haters

My Ride: E46 M3 (Sold)
I guess anyone who blankets people who get loans for a car as foolish, dosn't know simple math. If you know how to invest and you know the time value of money, you know money is worth more today than it is 5 years from now.

If you pull out a car loan for $30,000 at 4.5% and you can invest that $30,000 in a stock/mutual fund/whatever at 5.0% ROI your actually making money...
i heart haters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #60
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
You owe 7 grand on your 10 year old E46 and I would assume you want to finance the new car, right? And if you follow your payments like you did with E46 you will owe even more money and when the time comes you will ask the same question but with a different car.

Why not just get rid of your debt and buy something you can actually afford.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
It's called being fiscally responsible. Buy what you can afford- if you have to finance it then you can't afford it. People think payments are normal because they live beyond their means as do a lot of people. It is the American way and is completely foolish.

My cars are 5 and 6 yrs old but both are paid for and have a LOT of miles left in them, so I'll keep them for quite a while.

Everyone has their priorities though and if a new car is worth the debt to you, then accumulate all you want I'd rather have my money working for me, rather than against me.
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
No, it's called "not riding the bus."

Don't get me wrong, I've never made car payments. But when this car craps out on me (i.e. when I get a repair bill that is around the value of the car) then it will be time for a new car. At that point, I doubt I'll have enough cash laying around for anything other than a 1984 datsun pickup. So my options will be (a) buy the datsun (no thanks), (b) ride the bus (no thanks) or (c) make car payments.
Get a Honda Civic if it bothers you so much that a car that has some age needs maintenance. While E46s are old, unless the engine craps out completely no repair bill will be that large, unless its a collision, but then we have insurance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N89 View Post
lol @ going from $7,000 in debt to $25,000+.
Seems howie thinks its a solid financial move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i heart haters View Post
I guess anyone who blankets people who get loans for a car as foolish, dosn't know simple math. If you know how to invest and you know the time value of money, you know money is worth more today than it is 5 years from now.

If you pull out a car loan for $30,000 at 4.5% and you can invest that $30,000 in a stock/mutual fund/whatever at 5.0% ROI your actually making money...

Glad to read you kept your car OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, sell, trade