E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #221
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
stange, i thought there would be a tube which led to the front bumper.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #222
ICONIKE46

My Ride: Horse & Buggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
Thanks for sharing. That intake looks like it has a big appetite for air!

Mine arrived today, but I wasnt home to receive it. I wont be able to install my until the weekend either... that is... if I dont have to work. I'll hopefully find time to do it though and post pictures.
hmm thats weird...i wasn't awake when it came this morning and i didnt have to sign for anything, they just left it at my door

but again i will be doing a full review on monday
ICONIKE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #223
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICONIKE46 View Post
hmm thats weird...i wasn't awake when it came this morning and i didnt have to sign for anything, they just left it at my door

but again i will be doing a full review on monday
Mine was FedEx Home, so it prolly needs a sig. I see in the photo yours came in a USPS box. I guess your location will determine how its shipped. I know in the past, the Postal carrier usually leaves it in my lobby, too, if Im not at home. Dont particularly like this practice, but it depends on your neighbors, I guess. I dont trust mine.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #224
menncars

My Ride: 2005 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious1 View Post
stange, i thought there would be a tube which led to the front bumper.
You're thinking of a Cold Air Intake.

Did you guys look over the instructions? Says to disconnect the battery. Really? If I don't will I throw a CEL light?
menncars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #225
OrientBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post

Did you guys look over the instructions? Says to disconnect the battery. Really? If I don't will I throw a CEL light?

You dont technically have to disconnect the battery for this install. You can swap it out without getting a code.

However, I always do out of habit. My policy is to do it each time so I don't forget when I really should. Also, because I can get curious under the hood and poke and prod, and dont want to make a boo boo!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #226
tanzi

My Ride: 02' 325i
Quote:

no man you wont throw a CEL.

BMW just always says to dissconnect the battery no matter what they are doing to the car.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #227
ICONIKE46

My Ride: Horse & Buggy
Quote:

Tbh, I never got any instructions...but I'm pretty sure its the mass air flow sensor homie and no you wont get any CEL lights.

Then again my friend and i are working on my car monday on multiple things so i cant be sure yet =)

Last edited by ICONIKE46; 10-13-2010 at 08:22 PM.
ICONIKE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #228
OrientBlau

Hell, I even go so far as to pull the fuse to the trunk light before I disconnect the battery. When you open the trunk the light obviously comes on. Not a problem when you disconnect the NEG terminal. However, when its time to reconnect the terminal, you can get a spark which I dont like, so with the trunk fuse out, it prevents this.

Last edited by OrientBlau; 10-13-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #229
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
Got mine today. Installed and sounds good. There is definitely a difference in performance. Revs redlined much quicker now.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp

ESS TS2 - VMR V710 19" wheels - KW Coilovers - 3.46 Diff - Macht Schnell 5mm Rear Spacers - BMW Performance BBK w/ floating rotors -
BMW Performance Strut Brace - BMW Performance Air Intake - BMW Performance SSK/DSSR - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SS Brake Lines -
OEM M3 RTAB w/ Vorshlag Limiters - Meyle HD FCAB - TMS Sway Bars w/ adjustable links - AEM Digital Boost Gauge -
Stewart w/p - 6K HID Fogs - Swain Coated Magnaflow headers
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #230
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrellajon View Post
Got mine today. Installed and sounds good. There is definitely a difference in performance. Revs redlined much quicker now.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp
Sounds great, you should post pics and vids!
Are you satisfied overall? Is it noticeable louder?
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #231
Au2bahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by N89 View Post
Yeah, it was too dark to take pics. Im definitely satisfied especially for the price. I already have the Cf strut brace and with the intake, it looks nice!!!.

It is louder at certain RPM's with a meaner growl and surprisingly noticeable to a certain degree. I never believed intakes work on N/A cars as I only notice them on my past turbo cars but this intake revs to redline much quicker and a bit louder.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #232
Au2bahn

Quote:

The suspense is killing you isnt it. What is the status of your shipment? Where you able to get the strut brace as well? I know they ran out.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #233
N89

Quote:
The suspense is killing you isnt it. What is the status of your shipment? Where you able to get the strut brace as well? I know they ran out.
They're sold out for good? hmm...
Yeah I ordered last week, my stuff has been shipped out but I'm on the west coast so everything takes a week to get here from the east.. sucks!

Oh yeah, I got the strut bar and intake for my 330

Last edited by N89; 10-13-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #234
Au2bahn

Quote:
They're sold out for good? hmm...
Yeah I ordered last week, my stuff has been shipped out but I'm on the west coast so everything takes a week to get here from the east.. sucks!

Oh yeah, I got the strut bar and intake for my 330
Yeah.....Patrick sent an email on another thread stating that the warehouse ran out. Not sure of this "warehouse" is shared by other dealers as well.

Since you were one of the first orders, you should be fine. I believe its the orders from this week.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #235
N89

Quote:
Yeah.....Patrick sent an email on another thread stating that the warehouse ran out. Not sure of this "warehouse" is shared by other dealers as well.

Since you were one of the first orders, you should be fine. I believe its the orders from this week.
Oh yeah I'm definitely good, I got both tracking numbers already and everything...

So when you installed your bar how did you elongate the alarm button sensor hood thingy whatever you wanna call it, the instructions say to use butt connectors and a shrink hose, where do I get that? and what pieces is used in between? to add the 400 mm in length? I don't know anything about electrical stuff.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #236
Au2bahn

Quote:
Oh yeah I'm definitely good, I got both tracking numbers already and everything...

So when you installed your bar how did you elongate the alarm button sensor hood thingy whatever you wanna call it, the instructions say to use butt connectors and a shrink hose, where do I get that? and what pieces is used in between? to add the 400 mm in length? I don't know anything about electrical stuff.
You can buy the connectors and shrink hose at Home Depot by the electrical section. Just splice like 16Ga wires in between using the butt connectors then shrink wrap using a lighter. You can find the wires anywhere. look for extra speaker wires or something.

Its not as hard as you think. Once you take the positive terminal off and the alarm button off, it will all make sense once you reverse them.

Last edited by Au2bahn; 10-13-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #237
Goondaddy

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Hey guys, noticed there is 2 different part numbers for the 325/330. Can someone confirm the part number for the 325 version ASAP please?

EDIT: 20 mins of searching didnt yeild anything, but 2 seconds after posting the above I found this from earlier in the thread (don't know how I missed that!) Thanks to shanneba.
13 72 0 429 306 Performance Air Cleaner System (325i, 325ci)
13 72 0 429 613 Performance Air Cleaner System (330i, 330ci)

Last edited by Goondaddy; 10-14-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Goondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #238
tanzi

My Ride: 02' 325i
For what itsd worth I am going to check my current average mpg with my stock air box and then I will post average mpg after a week with the oem performance air box
Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #239
serge_ua

My Ride: 330i ZHP stick
Car needs to be flashed before installing CF strut brace?

Can anyone please explain this part of the strut brace installation doc (attached as PDF close to the beginning of the thread)?

The vehicle must be updated to the latest I-level status by flashing before installing the retrofit.
Differing programming times may be necessary depending on the production age of the vehicle and on work
previously performed on the vehicle.
The installation time given does not include time needed for programming/encoding.
serge_ua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #240
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_ua View Post
Can anyone please explain this part of the strut brace installation doc (attached as PDF close to the beginning of the thread)?

The vehicle must be updated to the latest I-level status by flashing before installing the retrofit.
Differing programming times may be necessary depending on the production age of the vehicle and on work
previously performed on the vehicle.
The installation time given does not include time needed for programming/encoding.
The last page of the instructions says:

7. Concluding work and coding
This retrofit system does not require coding.
Connect the battery
Conduct a brief test
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw performance, carbon fiber, filter, intake, performance, strut bar, strut brace