E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #261
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

My Ride: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanscotch View Post
^ you check with other suppliers?; bmwmercedesparts.com, getbmwparts.com
why i have them in stock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BMWPartssource.com
Patrick- BMWPartsSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #262
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

I still have the intakes and strut bars by the dozens. Keep the orders coming !!!!

BMWPartssource.com
Old 10-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #263
serge_ua

My Ride: 330i ZHP stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
You know, I'm often intimidated initially by various DIYs, but once you get in there and begin working, the bark really is worse than the bite. Its usually much easier than one thinks, especially when its your first time. After doing a few small jobs, you build confidence and can tackle more complex repairs more easily and confidently. When it all comes down to it, the DIY work isnt difficlut, but it is time consuming and kills your back.

Just read as many DIYs as you can and ask questions. Having a Benltey manual or a TIS CD ($10 on ebay) helps. My approach is that I look DIYs over until I can visualize every step in my mind. This way, I literally just open the hood and start wrenching without any instructions. Its all been burned into my memory, the steps and torque values, etc.
I hear ya man I also prefer visualizing every step before I start turning the wrench, to avoid a head-scratching exercise I am still confused about the torque specs when tightening the bolts that attach the brace to the strut towers. Both my330i.com and bmw33ci.net mention 18 ft-lbs:

http://www.my330i.com/mod25.php
5. Once the hex bolts are tight, tighten to 18 ft-lbs.

http://www.bmw330ci.net/projects/strutbar.php
8. Using a micro torque wrench, tighten all of the 13mm nuts to 18 ft-lbs.

The CF strut bar instruction, however, mentions 34 Nm(=25 ft-lbs):

Align suspension cross-brace A with the centre and screw
into place with a torque of 34 Nm.

Sorry if it seems like a trivial question; just don't want to over-tighten...
serge_ua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #264
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
The extra torque spec might be because the bar is extremely lighter than the other bars
I definitely trust those websites but at the same time the 25lbs is coming straight from BMW so I'll just go with that. It's really not that much.
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #265
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
Has anyone here installed the strut brace without cutting the hood liner? The last step in the BMW instructions say to cut out a piece of it, but I'm wondering if you really have to. I have the stock hood on a 330ci.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #266
N89

I'm going to cut it just because I don't want a scuffed up bar, plus it's not even going to be that noticeable (liner).
Old 10-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #267
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
I just took the hood liner off completely. You can hear the engine better. All it is is a sound deafening material.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp

ESS TS2 - VMR V710 19" wheels - KW Coilovers - 3.46 Diff - Macht Schnell 5mm Rear Spacers - BMW Performance BBK w/ floating rotors -
BMW Performance Strut Brace - BMW Performance Air Intake - BMW Performance SSK/DSSR - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SS Brake Lines -
OEM M3 RTAB w/ Vorshlag Limiters - Meyle HD FCAB - TMS Sway Bars w/ adjustable links - AEM Digital Boost Gauge -
Stewart w/p - 6K HID Fogs - Swain Coated Magnaflow headers
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #268
scotty02uk

My Ride: E90 320D MSport 2009
still waiting for my intake to ship across to the UK , anyone have a sound clip of one on a 330?
scotty02uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #269
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

ATTENTION:

All Strut bar orders from now until I lift this "Hold" will be put on backorder until further notice. I apologize for any inconvenience or issues this will cause. If you guys wouldn't have bought so many I wouldn't have cleared BMW out inventory completely.

Email me at pcasey@bmwpartssource.com with any questions or concerns.

BMWPartssource.com
Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #270
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

What would everyone say to use making one very similar but with the BMWPartsSource name and logo on the top of the strut bar? We would still keep it Carbon Fiber and Alluminum, and sell them for a little cheaper. $215 plus $15 shipping

Please give me your thoughts on this idea.

BMWPartssource.com
Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #271
Au2bahn

If its the same weight, i think it will be popular. I know other sponsors have done this

ESS TS2 - VMR V710 19" wheels - KW Coilovers - 3.46 Diff - Macht Schnell 5mm Rear Spacers - BMW Performance BBK w/ floating rotors -
BMW Performance Strut Brace - BMW Performance Air Intake - BMW Performance SSK/DSSR - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SS Brake Lines -
OEM M3 RTAB w/ Vorshlag Limiters - Meyle HD FCAB - TMS Sway Bars w/ adjustable links - AEM Digital Boost Gauge -
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #272
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick- BMWPartsSource View Post
What would everyone say to use making one very similar but with the BMWPartsSource name and logo on the top of the strut bar? We would still keep it Carbon Fiber and Alluminum, and sell them for a little cheaper. $215 plus $15 shipping

Please give me your thoughts on this idea.
If the logo was on one of the mounting portion...maybe, but one with "BMWPartsSource" stamped right on the middle like "BMW Performance"...no way, too cheap looking and takes away from the other beauty of the bar. Names like AC Schnizer, UUC, etc are ok because they are known/respected names but yours is just a bit odd to have stamped as a center point...

my .02

Last edited by Jmanscotch; 10-15-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Jmanscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #273
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

i may need help in the design proccess. what would people say to a triangle shapped tube across the middle instead of a round one?

BMWPartssource.com
Old 10-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #274
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Triangle shaped wouldn't be bad as long as the edges at super pointed rather rounded off a bit. My personal opinion is that you should make it look sleek and like it fits. I don't like the Dinan Strut bar look as I feel it doesn't mess THAT well, along with others like AC Schnizer, etc. The BMW performance one just looks the part ya know? Just make sure you don't go too wild or too unique, a bar that blends well does it for me .
Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #275
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i
I luv it. No installed pics yet. Besides..my engine is too dirty for pictures.

Slicktop - S54 - 6MT - 3.62 LSD - Active Tuned - JVT Headers - TMS Tracksport Coils - Hotchkis M3 Swaybars (IG - LEVIM9)
Levim9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #276
aradeath

Send a message via AIM to aradeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black E46 sedan View Post
I luv it. No installed pics yet. Besides..my engine is too dirty for pictures.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...-25-03_101.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...-24-51_991.jpg
Nice! I can't wait to get the tracking info for mine!

| 2006 e46 330Ci ZHP| [Sponsors] - ASPTuning - VMR | Wheels
| aFe CAI | eVo Sport UD Pulleys | Eisenmann Cat-back Race Exhaust | Powerchip Software |
| TechniK Gen3 Headers | Vorsteiner CF Hood | HKS Hypermax RS Coilovers | BMW Perf SSK |
| Sparco Evo2 seats | UUC LTW Flywheel & Cerametalic Clutch | Hamann Front Lip | Custom Willwood BBK |
aradeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #277
N89

Looks great! I'll be getting my intake on Monday an strut bar on Tuesday! Damn all you east coasters! lol
Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #278
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

I am working on a source for these OEM BMW Performance Carbon Strut braces. I may be able to fill my back orders plus. Please bare with me as i take this on and try to help you guys out. I will keep you posted guys.

BMWPartssource.com
Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #279
Au2bahn

Haha. Sounds like you got international shipping. Worth the wait though, just sleep more. :-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by N89 View Post
Looks great! I'll be getting my intake on Monday an strut bar on Tuesday! Damn all you east coasters! lol

Old 10-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #280
tb330

My Ride: 2006 Acura TL
Got mine today, about had a heart attack though. Looked online to see where it was when I got home from class and it said they left it at the front door, but there was nothing at the front door. After freaking out I went down to the office to find it there

Took me ten minutes to install it earlier and it looks great! Slightly more audible, but nothing crazy. Overall I give this purchase a 10/10. Thanks Patrick!

Tags
bmw performance, carbon fiber, filter, intake, performance, strut bar, strut brace