E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
E46 325i Headers Installed - Dyno Graphs included

Ok guys, if you remember my last thread of my B25 stock dyno at 155whp, I got the car dyno'd after headers to show my 11whp gain. Not too bad for a 325i.
The installation was a breeze, the bolts on the head came off like butter without breaking any studs or such! I did not take of the motor mount, and it is definitely not needed, plenty of room to take off headers.
Disconnecting headers from cat-back was a pain in the @ss. 4 of 4 bolts snapped and then I had to punch the fvck out of it with a pneumatic impact gun, and the damn thing wouldn't budge. I ended up taking a pry bar and pry-ed it off.
I was able to install 15 out of the 16 bolts, the middle bolt on the back header was impossible. I had all sorts of extensions and such available, just not possible at all.
I went back and checked the system for any leaks and such, and it is all ok. No leaks were found.
Connecting the header to cat-back was a b1tch. We used a hydraulic jack also to move the cat-back around, to try to align them up perfectly, it just wouldn't happen. We were MM off for the bolt to catch on to threads, and then I pushed my foot down on the foot hydraulic jack to get more leverage and the whole car got up and moved literally 4 inches to the left off the lift. Now we have to get all the stuff out of the way, lower car, re align, etc. Then after hour and a half of messing around with that last bolt we just used a nut and bolt and it did the trick. Hasn't snapped yet, and no leaks were found.
Make sure you use OEM gaskets and nuts.
Here are some pictures and such below.

Ceramic Coated Header from Anthony @ BimmerBrakes

To anyone that wants to purchase headers, I definitely recommend these, I had no issues what so ever. Everything was a perfect fit, oxygen sensor bungs are actually functional. The sensors screwed right in, and they were perfectly placed.

OEM Catalytic Converters

Notice the difference

M54B25 Engine Block

And on to the dyno graphs

NET GAIN = 11 WHP/ 3TQ SAE CORRECTED

Stock Dyno

Dyno with headers

-Kind of pissed off the guy needed 12 pulls to get 3 clean ones, where as the first guy got 3 good pulls each time...My tires are pretty worn out now.

Overall I'm very happy with results. Love the new exhaust tone. Love the new smell.
No service engine soon light due to o2 sims that work perfectly which were also bought from BimmerBrakes. I got the header install done in approximately 8 hours, BUT I did have the car on the lift ft high, and a professional toolbox with all extensions, pieces, etc.
Very fun install. Not hard at all, but never again.

TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
TrickTizzle

Sorry for delay.

Last edited by TrickTizzle; 10-16-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
great job. Believe me, you say never again and you will end up having to do it a couple more times, happened to me. I am glad to see some real numbers, guess my butt dyno hadnt lied to me. the torque curve also looks a lot better. enjoy the mod. I am really curious though as to how you did it w/o pulling the mount. Also i amsure if you go in from above you should be able to get the top nut, but what I did was full torque down the shorty header and then do the long one.

all in all glad it worked out for you.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
TrickTizzle

I loosened them both first. Pulled rear out, pulled front out. Connected front. Connected rear.
Them went in and out without any force/probems.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Do you have run files? I'd love to see an overlay of them vs stock.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
nice write up, and very good to see dyno numbers

want headersssssss!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
jamex

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
I just checked bimmerbrakes' website and could not find any mention of ceramic coating...only that they're stainless steel. Your pic doesn't look ceramic coated either. Are you sure they're not just SS?
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Do you have run files? I'd love to see an overlay of them vs stock.
Unfortunanely no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamex View Post
I just checked bimmerbrakes' website and could not find any mention of ceramic coating...only that they're stainless steel. Your pic doesn't look ceramic coated either. Are you sure they're not just SS?
The ceramic coating was during the group buy. I'm sure he can get them coated for you.
They are ceramic metallic coated, and they are most def coated. I could smell it when I first started up the car.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
rhm325i

My Ride: 02 BMW 325i
Nicely done!

this is my favorite mod so far on my 325i
rhm325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
///Mine

My Ride: '05 325i
awesome pics/charts man. after seeing this i'm really interested in getting the headers. the results are amazing!

quick question for you or anyone else who did this mod: is the smell really THAT bad and unbearable? i was talking to a guy at the euro shop i go to and he said that the smell is completely unbearable and smells like rotten eggs. is that true?

also how is the sound with the stock exhaust?

thanks guys
Old 10-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
RogueStatus37

My Ride: '04 330ci
You have the stock exhaust right? How does it sound?

2004 330Ci ZSP 6-Speed

Blackout grills l Smoked Reflectors l CCFL Angel Eyes l Gloss Black Roof Vinyl l BSW Speaker Upgrade l 3.46 Open Diff l BMW Performance SSKl M3 Style Trunk Spoiler
H&R Sport Cup Spring Kit l RHO Tow Hook Plate l Nokya Hyper-yellow Fogs l Stainless Steel Headers l Tuner Slotted Brake Kit l AXXIS/PBR Metal Master Pads l BMW AUX Input Kit

RogueStatus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
ikeupinya
Stay modded my friends!!!

My Ride: shalt not be riced!!
Great write-up, getting my SS headers installed tommorrow so hoping everything goes well...
Old 10-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
xi325xi02

My Ride: 325xi
Will be purchasing in about a month!!!! Im super excited.
If i opt just for the SS headers, will I see any negative outcomes? I guess a better way to put it is, do you really need to get coated headers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad328i View Post
you want ladys damm, get a punchin hard ass sound system
I HATE CVT'S

Last edited by xi325xi02; 10-16-2010 at 12:50 AM.
xi325xi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mine View Post
awesome pics/charts man. after seeing this i'm really interested in getting the headers. the results are amazing!

quick question for you or anyone else who did this mod: is the smell really THAT bad and unbearable? i was talking to a guy at the euro shop i go to and he said that the smell is completely unbearable and smells like rotten eggs. is that true?

also how is the sound with the stock exhaust?

thanks guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueStatus37 View Post
You have the stock exhaust right? How does it sound?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...15&postcount=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi325xi02 View Post
Will be purchasing in about a month!!!! Im super excited.
If i opt just for the SS headers, will I see any negative outcomes? I guess a better way to put it is, do you really need to get coated headers?
Just do it. It helps keep heat in, and helps with sound.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
///Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...15&postcount=2

Just do it. It helps keep heat in, and helps with sound.
nice vids!

how's the smell once you installed the headers? is it unbearable?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #16
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mine View Post
nice vids!

how's the smell once you installed the headers? is it unbearable?
Nope. It doesnt smelll that much. Only time you will smell it if you get out of the car right after you drive it hard, otherwise in the smell is very faint in the morning, and when I get out of the car once it has warmed up. As far as the rotten egg smell, I haven't noticed anything.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
///Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Nope. It doesnt smelll that much. Only time you will smell it if you get out of the car right after you drive it hard, otherwise in the smell is very faint in the morning, and when I get out of the car once it has warmed up. As far as the rotten egg smell, I haven't noticed anything.
thanks a lot for the answers man. 10/10 thread

i'll definitely be getting the headers sometime soon
Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #18
RogueStatus37

My Ride: '04 330ci
Holy shit. It sounds fucking awesome with stock exhaust. Im impressed. Cant wait to install them on my car

2004 330Ci ZSP 6-Speed

Blackout grills l Smoked Reflectors l CCFL Angel Eyes l Gloss Black Roof Vinyl l BSW Speaker Upgrade l 3.46 Open Diff l BMW Performance SSKl M3 Style Trunk Spoiler
H&R Sport Cup Spring Kit l RHO Tow Hook Plate l Nokya Hyper-yellow Fogs l Stainless Steel Headers l Tuner Slotted Brake Kit l AXXIS/PBR Metal Master Pads l BMW AUX Input Kit

RogueStatus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #19
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
again great job.

@ the guy whotalked about rotten egg smell. your mechanic must be off his rocker. if you let the car idle in one place you will get a slight smell of gasoline cause there are not cats. but you should never smell rotting eggs.... at least not from the headers.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Great Thread!
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote