E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Groznyy_Volk

My Ride: 01 330i
This is my car. This is me doing stuff with my car.

So it's been a little more that a year now since I have joined the prestigious club that is E46 ownership. Figured it's about time to start up a build thread.

Mind you. I doubt that this is going to be so much of a "build thread" as it is a log book or electronic journal of my ownership of this car. Hence I don't know how many people will really follow, but that doesn't bother me seeing as how this is mostly a way for my to keep track of my car's progress.

So without further adieu, Meet Eve:

This was the first picture of her.

April 16th 2014 was the day that I brought her home.
she was a springy 13 years old.
2001 330i with a 5-speed transmission and 127K miles on her.

She is my third BMW and my first E46. Previously I had owned an E36 and before that, and E38.

A photo of my old girl parked behind my new one. Buddy bought that one off of my not a month later. He named her Isabelle.

I had actually gone to the local auction to look at a couple of E39's the day before I purchased her. Both were inoperable and not in very noteworthy condition. but as we were cruising around the rest of the auction lot. Those Style 73's caught my eye from a distance. As we approached closer I saw the 330i tag on the back that sparked my curiosity even more. Once I looked inside and saw the stick-shift it was pretty much a done deal. Took it for a spin and everything seemed in order, minus a bunch of SES codes. Nothing that really scared me off. Engine seemed to run fine, handled and shifted smoothly. figured why not give it a shot. 24 hours and $5400 later she was mine.

First thing I did was take her home clean her up, change the oil and scan the codes again reading up a little bit and drawing form past experiences as to what it could be.

If I can remember all of the codes they went as follows.
P0171
P0174
P1347
P1351
P1353
P0300
etc. etc.

seeing as how it was missing and was reading lean, my first assumption was to change the fuel filter. A quick fix but it offered no results. after that I figured I may as well to the pump assembly. Changed it out even though the old one looked like it had been replaced not to long ago. I also swapped out the belts and the tensioner because it was pretty bad. not surprisingly it was the exact same tensioner that I swapped on my e36 not even a month before.

After this I went and did some research only to come across the infamous CCV issue. A month later I finally got around to changing the valve and all of the assorted plastic PITA hoses. After about five hours of work including an impromptu trip to the dealer for an intake boot (yes, you know the one). The car was finally back together and running better than I had ever hoped. I loved it! Tons of getup, tons go!

Once that was behind me I picked up a set of smoked corners and but a bit of VHT on my tails over the turn signals while I waited and saved for some better bods. I was surprisingly pleased with how the VHT came out. It still allowed enough light to shine thought that it didn't obstruct anything. But it was dark enough that it looked pretty nice against the black of the car. My only complaint was that it was a bit more matte than I had hoped but hey, for 12 bucks, whatever. Ive just never been a big fan of the amber.

October came and it was state inspection time! Unfortunately for me, I live in Virginia. Where everything is illegal. This meant that the VHT on my taillights had to go. figured that I should take this opportunity to pick up a set of R/C/R tails. I initially wanted the LED version but after ordering those, I received a phone call a day or so later from Umnitza. Those apparently had massive problems and were discontinued. A bummer but not the end of the world. The guy on the phone was awesome and very helpful. I ended up scoring a set of the standard R/C/R lights at a VERY reasonable price.

Props to Umnitza their awesome customer service. By the end of the week I had a fresh new inspection sticker and a set of dope taillights.

When I had purchased Eve I bought here outright, but I had to borrow about $500 bucks. to make sure that I was able to pay for everything. total after processing and all was about $5800. I am a broke ass college student by the way so to me that's a lot of money. But on January 12th she officially became mine and fully paid for.

So celebratory shot: in crappy weather and dirty as hell in need of a wash.

Somewhere in here came the Red sharpie and golf tee mod.
Didn't notice a huge difference in the exhaust but I like the way the stock 330 sounds to begin with.

Once the semester ended I threw on a roof rack as well as some new plates, because now I might fianlly have time to take my bike down to the beach and enjoy the local wildlife (IYKWIM). Figured that It was a good time to pick up surfing too.

So here is a couple of pictures of how she sits now.

Today (07/22/15)
I finally dropped some cash and ordered parts on a much needed cooling overhaul. Should be coming sometime next week from BMAparts.com as per recommendation from Mango's E46 COOLING SYSTEM GUIDE thread.

2001 330i 5-speed

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Last edited by Groznyy_Volk; 05-30-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Hated the title.
Groznyy_Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
Syfon

My Ride: 2004 6MT M3
Looks good and welcome to the E46 chassis. Personally, I think it's the best chassis. Ever.

Your 330i looks good; mod to your taste and enjoy ownership of a reliable yet powerful cruiser
Old 07-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStreetBimmers View Post
I initially wanted the LED version but after ordering those, I received a phone call a day or so later from Umnitza. The guy on the phone was awesome and very helpful. I ended up scoring a set of the standard R/C/R lights at a VERY reasonable price.

Props to Umnitza their awesome customer service. By the end of the week I had a fresh new inspection sticker and a set of dope taillights.
Thanks!
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
e46JAB

My Ride: Titan over Tannin
Great start! Glad you're knocking out all of the common maintenance issues first
Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #5
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
nice work keeping up on maintenance. I'll be honest with you though, the e46 is not the best reliable car for a college student looking to save money. You will constantly be putting money into it. I had mine for 5 years and moved on. Now with the E90, its been rock solid.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET28/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
nice work keeping up on maintenance. I'll be honest with you though, the e46 is not the best reliable car for a college student looking to save money. You will constantly be putting money into it. I had mine for 5 years and moved on. Now with the E90, its been rock solid.
The e90 is rock solid cause it's newer. OP seems to know what he is doing and able to help himself with the work. My money is on him to enjoy a nice ride for a reasonable cost of ownership.

It is when you have to rely on the dealer for everything that you get abused. The e90 is a move toward making DIY harder. I have both an e90 and an e46. They are both great cars but a little different in character.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #7
Groznyy_Volk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syfon View Post
Looks good and welcome to the E46 chassis. Personally, I think it's the best chassis. Ever.

Your 330i looks good; mod to your taste and enjoy ownership of a reliable yet powerful cruiser
Thank you! I had always been a huge fan of the E36 chassis. But after picking this one up I honestly don't know if I will ever go back. The E46 is just so smooth and well composed. Mods will most certainly come in time. I have a pretty good idea of what I want the end result look like. In the mean time I'm just doing what I can to make sure that she is running smoothly and enjoying the hell out of driving her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46JAB View Post
Great start! Glad you're knocking out all of the common maintenance issues first
Thank you! No point in having a sweet car when you can't take it is your driveway. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Thank you. Honestly it has not been that bad for me thus far as maintenance costs. At least not nearly as outrageous as my e38 was. I always manage to save a good chunk of change by doing the work myself. While I do really like the E9X, I have to agree with ti317 in that the E46 is a lot more DIY friendly. When I started buying cars, from day one, I told myself that I would never buy a car that I could not do most of the repairs on myself. I feel like the E46 is a fairly competent car to own and work on, even for someone as broke as me. Granted not as much as a Corolla or an Taurus but, hey who really enjoys driving those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
The e90 is rock solid cause it's newer. OP seems to know what he is doing and able to help himself with the work. My money is on him to enjoy a nice ride for a reasonable cost of ownership.

It is when you have to rely on the dealer for everything that you get abused. The e90 is a move toward making DIY harder. I have both an e90 and an e46. They are both great cars but a little different in character.
I couldn't agree more. I also learned the value of preventative maintenance with my last car and I hope to carry it on with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
Thanks!
You're welcome. I will most certainly be coming to you for my angel eye fix once I get around to doing my Bi-xenon retrofit.

More updates coming soon....

2001 330i 5-speed

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Old 08-19-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
WhatsAnE46

My Ride: M54B25
please update when you do your bixenon retrofit!
Old 09-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
Groznyy_Volk

Update Time!

I've been slackin hard on the update but there isn't too much new to show.

All of the goods that I got for my cooling system overhaul laid out on the table.

Pay no attention to the brown box on the left. I'll get to that later.

Finally got around to doing the overhaul on 8/17/15.
Ready to do work.

work...

more work.....Most of the new stuff out next to the old stuff.

This little guy here was the cause of a lot of colourful Russian vocabulary heard from my driveway that fine evening.

Following that and a couple to trips to El Ghetto Auto Parts for a tensioner pulley and bolt. The diassembly was nearly finished, so was the daylight.

The waterpump that I pulled out looked pretty good. Had a metal (brass?) impeller.
Glad to know that the previous owner took care of her.
Old waterpump (left) VS. New waterpump (right)

By the somewhat late evening the car was back and ready to go.
It was late so I decided the wait till the morning to bleed the system. Only took about 6 hours total because of a few snags (I curse the engineer that decided to use that hex bolt ). Other than that it went pretty smoothly.

(just for my records)

Now. as for that other box sitting on my pool table....

...Yeah Buddy!

I manged to scoop a N6 unit and relocation bracket from a fellow forum member on here for a pretty good price. A really nice update of the interior and it kicks the crap out of the old PITA cassette adapter.

Other than that There hasn't been too much to note.
I blacked out my headlight trim and the kidney grills. Threw on a bumpergaurd in there somewhere as well.

Not sold on the kidney grills as yet. A lot of people tell me that it looks better but I kinda miss the chrome. Funny because I normally hate chrome on my cars. But on a black sedan I think it really sits well. It's only plastidip so I can always peel it off. Cleaned the other headlight a few days later as well. That fogginess was bugging the crap out of me.

Took a shot of her the other night when I was at a parking garage attempting to take pictures of traffic for a class portfolio. Naturally it had started to rain as soon as I got on the roof. But hey. the blur brings character. Amirite?

That's it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsAnE46 View Post
please update when you do your bixenon retrofit!
Hoping that will be the next one!

2001 330i 5-speed

Last edited by Groznyy_Volk; 09-30-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #10
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
i hope you keep the stock wheels. they look awesome.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #11
Groznyy_Volk

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
i hope you keep the stock wheels. they look awesome.
Thank you!
Funny you say that, though. I came this close to trading them away for a set of style 65 reps just two days ago.

2001 330i 5-speed

Old 10-04-2015, 10:52 PM   #12
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

Get style 44 wheels or do the MTech 1 conversion with style 68s and the sport suspension

By the way, how do you like the Dynavin? I wanted to do the navigation retrofit and I'm an OEM+ guy but going that route will be a big PITA

Last edited by lllRazorlll; 10-05-2015 at 08:56 AM.
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #13
Groznyy_Volk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
Get style 44 wheels or do the MTech 1 conversion with style 68s and the sport suspension

By the way, how do you like the Dynavin? I wanted to do the navigation retrofit and I'm an OEM+ guy but going that route will be a big PITA
I have my heart set on a set of style 37's if I can find them. otherwise I'll probably keep what I got.

The Dynavin is a great unit. I love the style and the interface simplicity. With that being said, I have had a few bugs with it. Particularly since the last update. I can't seem to use my mirco-sd card for music for some reason. It makes a shrill sound and then goes silent when I attempt to. after that nearly nothing works. rebooting it is the only way that I can get it to work again. Doesn't bother me so much since I pretty much use my ipod 90% of the time and stream music from my phone via bluetooth the other 10%. The The call volume on the bluethooth could be a bit higher too. It's pretty difficult to hear people. Takes a while to load the artist list from my ipod but that is understandable since I have 160gb of music. Despite those drawbacks it's pretty solid for what I paid. The GPS works great and is very responsive. It takes like no time to hone in on your car. To be honest. If I had the money I probably would have gone with the Avin Avant-2 unit. (just for the advantages of having Waze and Torque). However currently my budget does not agree with me shelling out $800 on a head unit. Perhaps in the future I might make the jump but for now, I'm pretty happy with this. It's a great little unit and I love the OEM look that it gives sitting my my dash. Even the user interface is black and red to match the rest of the bmw styling.

As far as the install goes, it really wasn't that bad at all. took me 1.5 hours tops before everything was put back together. The instructions tell you a bit but Youtube helped more. The usb cable into my glove box were the only cumbersome parts and that was mostly because I was to lazy to find a coat hanger or copper wire to fish it though with. But there is really nothing to bad about this install. just take your time, make sure you hook all of the right wires up and try to keep everything clean and organized.

2001 330i 5-speed

Last edited by Groznyy_Volk; 10-07-2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling & grammar
Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #14
MJC12

My Ride: 2001 330i Mtech1
Hey, great progress so far. What's your roof rack setup? Every setup I've found from Thule and BMW have bars that are too wide and stick out over the car a bit, but the one you've got installed looks great!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #15
Groznyy_Volk

Update [about time!]

I haven't been here for a bit so it has been real slow with the updates.
But here it is...

Not too much to add other than I finally got around to doing the FX-R retrofit and boy was it an ordeal.

However. Totally worth it!
20151124_131328

Seriously. These pictures can't even do it justice. Everything looks crisp and clean. Feels as if I have a brand new car.
and the cut off is amazing!

20151125_222113
20151125_221408
20151125_221339

The V4 Angel Eyes are a perfect compliment to the projectors. Hella bright!
20151125_221836

Before:
20151118_183528
After:
20151125_222616

A big thanks to The Retrofit Source for the kit and to Umnitza for Orion V4's! Also, thanks to Razor for the advice!

Needless to say that I am very pleased with this set up. For anybody considering doing this to their halogen housings. Again, It is tedious but totally worth it.

20151125_145420

This will probably be the last big change for a little while. Going to to college across the state to finish my bachelors in august so I really should be saving up money for the move. Plus I'm planning on redoing the entire front end here in a month or so and that's going to set me back about $600 I imagine.

(With the AE's before the retrofit)
Mani_Port3-761

I'll try to take some better pictures when my schedule clears up and the Virginia Beach weather doesn't suck so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC12 View Post
Hey, great progress so far. What's your roof rack setup? Every setup I've found from Thule and BMW have bars that are too wide and stick out over the car a bit, but the one you've got installed looks great!
I know that I already answered your question via pm, but I thought that I would also post this here just in case anybody else that came around was curious.

The roof rack is an off brand that was given to me some time ago. The brand says "SportRack Mondial". Ive never heard of it before getting one. It works pretty well but I want to get an OEM roof rack at some point.
The bike adapter is one that I got on Amazon for $50.
Here are a few pictures of it: http://imgur.com/a/z1vqG

2001 330i 5-speed

Last edited by Groznyy_Volk; 03-04-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #16
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

Very nice. Glad to see how well the HID retrofit worked out for you. Of course, don't forget to thank SolidJake for putting together such valuable information. Nice fogs too, I also have a set of 2500K bulbs. What are your plans for the front end?
Old 03-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #17
Mflara20

My Ride: 04 330i
When are you changing your front bumper?
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #18
Groznyy_Volk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
Very nice. Glad to see how well the HID retrofit worked out for you. Of course, don't forget to thank SolidJake for putting together such valuable information. Nice fogs too, I also have a set of 2500K bulbs. What are your plans for the front end?
Yes! I certainly would not have been able to do this without SolidJake's invaluable lighting guide, as well as the DIYs from paraklas and snitzl3. Honestly, I don't know where I would be without this forum. I love having yellow fogs but I feel like the lights don't have nearly as much output as they did on my E36. Or maybe my headlights are just too bright now.

Chassis repairs are what I was referring too. I'm about 3k short of 150,000 so I figured it's about time to replace the control arms, bushings, tie rods and sway bars links. I was going to do just the bushings when I recently started to feel a slight vibration when braking, but I figured that I'm better off just doing a whole overhaul and not having to worry about it down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
When are you changing your front bumper?
When I have the money to spend on it. I was hoping to do it before my move, but now I'm not sure that is going to be feasible. It's been itching at me too. I was set on getting an M-tech II but lately I've been eyeballing the M3 bumpers on pre-facelifts and thinking 'Damn'!

2001 330i 5-speed

Old 03-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #19
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
I want those lights...
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #20
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groznyy_Volk View Post
Yes! I certainly would not have been able to do this without SolidJake's invaluable lighting guide, as well as the DIYs from paraklas and snitzl3. Honestly, I don't know where I would be without this forum. I love having yellow fogs but I feel like the lights don't have nearly as much output as they did on my E36. Or maybe my headlights are just too bright now.

Chassis repairs are what I was referring too. I'm about 3k short of 150,000 so I figured it's about time to replace the control arms, bushings, tie rods and sway bars links. I was going to do just the bushings when I recently started to feel a slight vibration when braking, but I figured that I'm better off just doing a whole overhaul and not having to worry about it down the road.

When I have the money to spend on it. I was hoping to do it before my move, but now I'm not sure that is going to be feasible. It's been itching at me too. I was set on getting an M-tech II but lately I've been eyeballing the M3 bumpers on pre-facelifts and thinking 'Damn'!
Nice, good luck with that! Be sure to post it on here so we can all see your progress. Can you repost your pics? When I click on them it takes me to Yahoo login page. I would like to see more pics of your V4 angel eyes