E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Akovski

My Ride: 323CI
My E46 project *pics and details*

So iv had the car for about 2 years now and really havent done much. Although I have done a little hear and there and recently doing more and thought it would be good to enlighten all of you on what iv decided to do and what i plan on doing.

I deleted my muffler and absolutely love it, been thinking bout taking off the second muffler so there is a little more rawr

Painting over all the chrome was a recent decision and very great full i did it. only had a cost of $15. and thats for tape, sand paper, and a can of professional spray paint. all turned out very great

I used vinyl in the begining and wasnt satisifed at all with the results on the trim. nor was i happy with vinyl for smoking my headlights. it does look good though install properly haha

Considering painting my stock style 44 wheels black but really think it is really cheap looking. still deciding though.

Went in and bought a csl style front bumper with the front diffusers and wouldnt change a thing about it. looks dead sexy and its not even painted yet.

also dont recommend 2 15's in a coupe.... knocks ur rear windshield loose. but they sure do sound sooo ****in sexy

pics soon. sorry.

ill try to keep up to date when i add more little DIY mods to the bimmer. until please leave any comments on what i should or shouldnt do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	379858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	379859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	379860  

Last edited by Akovski; 10-15-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Akovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
imdbui

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP

can't wait to see those pics, but sure sounds like you have a nice set up! good work! not a fan of black wheels either... but depends on your car color.

Last edited by imdbui; 10-14-2010 at 06:41 PM.
imdbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
^That.

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Your $15 paint job is going to be very expensive. You are going to wish you hadn't done it.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
tuscan1205

My Ride: 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by salm View Post
^that.
+1

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
tuscan1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
Akovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Your $15 paint job is going to be very expensive. You are going to wish you hadn't done it.
ur so right. the car has 170,000 miles so im sure i will have it long enough for it to matter...

and its been lookin great so far. have no regrets bout it. paint is staying on well

will have more pics tomorrow
Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
joneperry

My Ride: e46 + S60 + Z
looks really good, ive seen tiag with chrome and it is but with the black it sets it off, i dont get how a 15$ paint job is going to be expensive?
joneperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
alexle0814

My Ride: 2003 325i
I have the same color car and similar rims. I wanted to paint my rims black but thought it would look cheap as well. I eventually chose to go with a dark gun metal. I think it looks way better than black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before rim paint.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	379869   Click image for larger version

Name:	After rim paint.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	379870  
alexle0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
WFRFitness

My Ride: 2000 328CI E46
Quote:
^^^ this you might think your paint is sticking to chrome but give it about a year and some driving in hard rain and you will see it's not sticking at all....
WFRFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
WFRFitness

My Ride: 2000 328CI E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexle0814 View Post
I have the same color car and similar rims. I wanted to paint my rims black but thought it would look cheap as well. I eventually chose to go with a dark gun metal. I think it looks way better than black.
Looks good but I hope you did some serious prep work on those or once again... it will be coming off in a year or two
WFRFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #11
Akovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexle0814 View Post
actually looks pretty good. iv seen gunmetal on my wheels and it doesnt look as good. kinda looks like they are just really dirty. my style doesnt have a good contrast on a different color in my opion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFRFitness View Post
^^^ this you might think your paint is sticking to chrome but give it about a year and some driving in hard rain and you will see it's not sticking at all....
i dont disagree with that at all honestly. that is what i expect to happen. and when that does come around i will sand and spray again for $15. i know its a ***** to do but honestly i enjoy working on my car and making it look good. when i say its been on for a while its been there for about 5months and still looks as good as it did the first day. but over weathering and this winter idk whats going to happen to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFRFitness View Post
Looks good but I hope you did some serious prep work on those or once again... it will be coming off in a year or two
sanded washed primed anything else i should of known of?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #12
crazyafghanguy

My Ride: E46 M3
dont paint your style 44! keep them stock

01 M3
Black/Black 6 Speed
Style 95
Amber All Around
Ac Schnitzer Muffler
ZCP Brake Upgrade
crazyafghanguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
gamberroski

My Ride: E46 330ci 2003
At the body shop make them remove the pre installed bolts in your bumper for the front license plate before the paint job...

1985 e30 325e 5MT - SOLD (and missed)
2003 Saphire Black, 5MT 330Ci -SOLD
2002 e46 TiAG M3 - In Use
gamberroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
steel330i

My Ride: E46 330i & '90 318i
Quote:
once the paint starts to fail is it going to run onto his car paint??? Q1E31SQ

My "Painting Your Interior Trim" DIY- http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=798917

E30's FTW!!!
steel330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
I've painted trim/wheels before with a rattlecan, it was about 10 years ago on a car that needed it badly. Even with decent prep-work, it needs redone about once a year. Rattlecan paint just isn't very thick/durable.

I wouldn't do this on a brand new car, but in this case it's a very viable option since the car has a lot of miles, and OP might not keep it a whole lot longer.

Looks great by the way!
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #16
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
Next mod/repair: Roundel overlay from Bimmian. Your roundel is pretty beat.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
Gator325

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
There's something about trying to improve an E46 with a can of spray paint just doesn't sit well with me. I'm sorry but I think this is a failed experiment.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
I painted my grills..... you do it right - sand, prime, wetsand, spray, wetsand, clear and after a year they were perfect, even stood up against rocks and all sorts of other sh1t. OP did you use a matte clear? cause I used like 4 layers of paint and 5-6 layers of clear and it was perfect.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #19
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
I painted my grills..... you do it right - sand, prime, wetsand, spray, wetsand, clear and after a year they were perfect, even stood up against rocks and all sorts of other sh1t. OP did you use a matte clear? cause I used like 4 layers of paint and 5-6 layers of clear and it was perfect.
The grills really work well with plastic adhesion primer. The matte clear coats in my experience turn the paint grey with too many coats.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
Akovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamberroski View Post
At the body shop make them remove the pre installed bolts in your bumper for the front license plate before the paint job...
bought a cheap bumper and they cant be removed. but i will have to get them smoothed out or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spage View Post
I've painted trim/wheels before with a rattlecan, it was about 10 years ago on a car that needed it badly. Even with decent prep-work, it needs redone about once a year. Rattlecan paint just isn't very thick/durable.

I wouldn't do this on a brand new car, but in this case it's a very viable option since the car has a lot of miles, and OP might not keep it a whole lot longer.

Looks great by the way!
thanks,
yeah my car has 175,000 so dont count on it running much longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator325 View Post
There's something about trying to improve an E46 with a can of spray paint just doesn't sit well with me. I'm sorry but I think this is a failed experiment.
i agree with you on this 100% bimmers are way too nice of cars to put spray paint on. even an E30 doesnt deserve spray paint if its a car you plan on keeping and making nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spage View Post
Next mod/repair: Roundel overlay from Bimmian. Your roundel is pretty beat.
gotta wait until i paint my hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
nope no clear. i couldnt find any at home depot so i just said **** it

the grill i did 5 coats but with the trim i did one very light spray then i did a decent 2nd coat and then covered it again one last time. waited 1 hour between each coat