E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Turbopilot

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Diff damage from a rear end collision?

My car got rear-ended at pretty low speed a few weeks ago. The rear bumper, trunk, and quarter panels were damaged, but the car seemed to drive fine afterwards. The guy who hit me had Allstate insurance, and up until now they haven't given me much of a problem as far as getting it fixed.

A few days ago I got a call from the shop saying they noticed a noise coming from the differential. I told them I knew I didn't have any problems with the diff previously, and they said they'd submit a supplement to Allstate to get it fixed. Allstate called me today and said they wanted me to pick up the car and take it to a shop to get inspected to determine whether the problem was caused by the accident or not. I told them I didn't want to take the car or accept any responsibility for it until everything was fixed, and they said they'd try to arrange for the shop to get it to the BMW dealer they're affiliated with to inspect it. I haven't heard back from them or the shop yet.

How would a dealership determine whether a diff problem was caused by a wreck or not? Is there a written procedure or something I can hold them to? I'm not sure how this could have been caused by the crash, but I know for an absolute fact there was no problem with the diff previously. BMW replaced all the seals under CPO warranty a few years ago when they started to leak, and I've regularly replaced the fluid with Red Line since then. I don't want to ask for anything unfair, but I had a car with no mechanical problems and I think I should get back a car with no mechanical problems. What's the best way to ensure I get that?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Dunno how they'd go about proving it was caused by the collision or not... For what it's worth, several years ago the Taurus SHO my dad was driving got rear-ended and the auto trans ended up getting rebuilt and covered by the other guy's insurance. Whether its failure it had been caused by the collision or coincidentally happened at that same moment, it still got paid for.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Turbopilot

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Thanks...nice to know that kind of damage is at least possible. The shop is going to take the car to the dealer they're associated with tomorrow, and I'll try to talk to Allstate and get them to agree on a specific procedure to determine how the damage was caused. I don't think they will, but at least that will put them in the position of having to admit there's no way to prove what they're asking for.

Anyone know any tricks to get Allstate to loosen up? I really don't want anything not due to me, but I had a car with no mechanical problems before the crash and I think I'm owed the same thing back from the shop.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
They'll look for collision damage to the differential. Never seen it happen before. They'll also look for a possible cause, going back over the photos of the damage. Unless there's damage to the diff carrier assembly, there's most likely no accident damage to the differential.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #5
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Wait, so this isn't even a problem you noticed? Differentials make noise, plain and simple. It's also possible that the shop may be trying to get one over on the insurance company.