E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

View Poll Results: Vote: Do you believe in preventative maintenance?
Preventative maintenance is key to good vehicle health 321 83.16%
Preventative maintenance is a waste of money. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! 65 16.84%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Poll: Are you for or against preventative maintenance?

Simply vote one or the other.

Preventative maintenance. Taking a pro-active approach to car maintenance by replacing parts at regular intervals to reduce the chance of breakdown, headaches, and unexpected tows and to ensure overall reliability of your vehicle.

or;

Don't fix it 'til it ain't broken! These cars aren't special, and replacing parts when they ain't broken is a waste of money. If a part fails, just call a tow truck -no big deal!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
there are certain things i am preventative with... but i don't go overboard

122k with no issues whatsoever
Old 10-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
CShell

My Ride: Cait
Send a message via AIM to CShell
<------- Lazy
CShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
It's a pretty simple concept. Know the useful life of the different parts & components on your car, and be sure you replace them before they reach it. I have a very in depth spreadsheet I use for this on my current e46:

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

Last edited by tock172; 10-07-2011 at 11:24 AM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
avglushk

My Ride: e92
Send a message via Skype™ to avglushk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
It's a pretty simple concept. Know the useful life of the different parts & components on your car, and be sure you replace them before they reach it. I have a very in depth spreadsheet I use for this on my current e46:

^^^ nice.. that's awesome. I need to start doing this too.
For Sale: 1. OEM used headlights and corners, see link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884565
2. 2 brand new Bosch post cat oxygen sensors
avglushk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:

Please share! great idea

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
Quote:

wow. want to do that for me???
Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

I would be happy to share a template of my spreadsheet. In addition to the two photos I posted, it also features two other sheets:

Old 10-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Mango
A full five stars, son

Thanks, man. I'll have to check that out later. IT's blocked on the computer i'm on now. must be a hosted image.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
i have every single receipt and service record saved, so it wouldnt be too hard to do.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Change oil, plugs, filters <- preventive maintenance
Change T-stat, 2 wheel bearings when only one has failed <- waste of money if it's operating fine

Just some examples. I think a "cooling overhaul" is a big waste of $$$. Look for leaks, check pulley/brng when belt is off. If you find something wrong, replace it, if you don't... don't flush your hard earned cash down the drain. What reason would I have to replace a non-leaking hose that still has brand-new flex/rigidity when NONE of my cooling related parts are failing. Sorry I'm not made of cash and spending hundreds of dollars every 50-100000 kms as some people on here are doing is ridiculous. Maybe I should get a job with a site sponsor cause those guys are raking in the $$$ off many of you.

Last edited by 2003 325i; 10-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
i have every single receipt and service record saved, so it wouldnt be too hard to do.
I was in the same boat. I have a decently thick folder full of receipts and records and other information, most of which is reflected in this spreadsheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Thanks, man. I'll have to check that out later. IT's blocked on the computer i'm on now. must be a hosted image.
Yes, it's on photobucket.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
restore

My Ride: 2002 325i ZPP/ZSP
I do wonder, for those who have had cooling system components/etc. fail, how hard do you drive your e46's?

I know quite a few members here take their cars to the track and such, putting extra pressure on the system. I'm on the opposite spectrum, one who drives like I'm 80 years old. And we all know, older folks love their 1980's Buick's/Oldmobiles that have lasted this long with minimal maintenance .

restore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #14
Mango
A full five stars, son

Can't say. I've never experienced a failure because I replace things before they get a chance to fail.

Actually there was one time. When I drove the car home from the dealer I bought it from. The expansion tank failed on the way home. Prior to buying the car, I had already made a list of parts to buy to refresh the cooling system.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
restore

My Ride: 2002 325i ZPP/ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Can't say. I've never experienced a failure because I replace things before they get a chance to fail.

Actually there was one time. When I drove the car home from the dealer I bought it from. The expansion tank failed on the way home. Prior to buying the car, I had already made a list of parts to buy to refresh the cooling system.
Haha, what luck. Did the dealer at least take care of the ET?

restore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
If doing preventive maintenance means ending up with extra parts of the car that cannot be put back like mango had reported, I say EN OH, NO.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
If they are truly maintenance parts (things that wear), I'll replace them and try to stay on a schedule. Other stuff, no.

To a certain extent, replacing good parts with new parts may actually increase your chances of failure. Remove a good ET and put in a new one just because? The new one may actually be weaker than the old one. I probably preventatively replace a few more non-wear parts on the race car, but generally not even there for the same reasons (putting on a new part could actually introduce a new failure point). On the race car it would be more like seals and things of that nature. On a road car, I'd just wait until I noticed a leak. Failure on a race track could ruin your weekend. Failure on a road car is more likely to just be a minor annoyance.

The only real exception is "while you're in there" type parts when doing a major overhaul of something (like new dampers).

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #18
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
If they are truly maintenance parts (things that wear), I'll replace them and try to stay on a schedule. Other stuff, no.

To a certain extent, replacing good parts with new parts may actually increase your chances of failure. Remove a good ET and put in a new one just because? The new one may actually be weaker than the old one. I probably preventatively replace a few more non-wear parts on the race car, but generally not even there for the same reasons (putting on a new part could actually introduce a new failure point). On the race car it would be more like seals and things of that nature. On a road car, I'd just wait until I noticed a leak. Failure on a race track could ruin your weekend. Failure on a road car is more likely to just be a minor annoyance.

The only real exception is "while you're in there" type parts when doing a major overhaul of something (like new dampers).
Or, say, a cooling system. Expansion tanks aren't "good" after a certain amount of mileage. It's made out of plastic and experiences thousands of heat cycles over a period of time. If enough time has passed (at which it does all-too-frequently), it will fail. At $55 a pop, replacing the ET on a preventative basis is an absolute no-brainer. Why this particular subject of the ET is even up for discussion is beyond me.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
If doing preventive maintenance means ending up with extra parts of the car that cannot be put back like mango had reported, I say EN OH, NO.

This is what I'll feed you. Oh so manly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gn.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	419945  

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #20
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Is it really true that one day you found yourself at this place shown in the photo below and you sat there for 3 days with no food or water and that is why you are the way you are? Curious minds want to know.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stop-no-turns-signs.jpg
Views:	1646
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	419946  
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote