E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #401
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #402
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by albeee View Post
Good stuff.
Thanks.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #403
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Rick stopped by again to have the height and damping adjusted on his PSS10s with his new tires. We first tried removing the rear adjusters once again and on the drive to get some lunch, we found that the rear tires were lightly grazing the corner of the bumper where it meets the fender. While that might have been acceptable on smooth South Bay roads, SF is another story. To stay on the safe side, we put the adjusters back in set at the lowest height. We also adjusted the compression to 9 out of 10. The new ride height:

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:

Last edited by cyberkaa; 04-04-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 AM   #404
slate

My Ride: 1987 325ic, 2003 M3
Kalim,

Hey, I used a chunk of this thread to help me with the engine swap in a 03 SMG M3 that I bought with a hydrolocked/bad engine. It was a great help! Thanks!

On that note, after clearing the codes related to the hydrolocking (multiple ignition misfires/fuel cut off and individual cylinder misfires), I can't get it to start/turn the starter over. Any suggestions?
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #405
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Kalim,

Hey, I used a chunk of this thread to help me with the engine swap in a 03 SMG M3 that I bought with a hydrolocked/bad engine. It was a great help! Thanks!

On that note, after clearing the codes related to the hydrolocking (multiple ignition misfires/fuel cut off and individual cylinder misfires), I can't get it to start/turn the starter over. Any suggestions?
Glad it helped!

Do you get any response at all from the starter? Clicking, etc.?
How about the fuel pump? Does it prime? Does it run continuously when the key is turned?
I'd start with the simple stuff, like maybe the battery drained while the engine was being swapped or maybe the starter isn't completely hooked up. Is that battery cable that runs across the cabin filter housing connected?

Quote:
Old 04-21-2011, 03:13 AM   #406
cyberkaa

I've been lagging on the updates, but it's been a busy few days in the garage.

Rick came over on Saturday and we installed his stud conversion and front spacers.
Albee was visiting from SoCal for my birthday on Sunday and while he was here, we installed Rick's old eibach sport suspension on Albee's 325ci. The ride was immensely improved over original OEM sport suspension with over 100k miles on it. The rear shocks were so blown that they had leaked everything out and dried up!
Eugene brought his ZHP over on Monday for a rear shock swap. He recently had Raceland coilovers installed by Drewdown, but was dissatisfied with the ride quality so we swapped the shocks to Koni STR.Ts.
On Tuesday, Jon (kwlaznkid) and I checked out his E46 M3 for another suspension clunk. It turned out to be an end link again, but on the driver's side this time. His strut mount nuts were also a bit loose so we tightened them up.

This evening, Rick brought his car back for a lot of miscellaneous work. We first installed an M3 washer grille on his Asuka hood. This was challenging because the clips don't easily snap on and there's a risk of damaging the composite. We used the heat of the engine to soften the ABS plastic washer grille a little and gently bent the clips back to make installation much easier.

Next, the two OEM airbox mounts were redone with new rubber bushings, threaded body inserts, and screws since they had fallen apart over time. Rick installed his new OEM seat belt presenters, which should eliminate the need to strain to find the belt. Once he finished that, I installed a new seat rail bolt to replace a damaged one that I had found when doing his 5spd swap.

We decided to finish up the evening by replacing the center console with a used one with a much better finish. While preparing to install the new one, we discovered the usual problem with the coin holder, i.e., someone had stuffed a quarter into the nickel holder and it was jammed in there really well. A couple of quick snaps later, I had the coin holder apart, popped the offending coin out, and reassembled the spring loaded part (DIY coming soon). In the meantime, Rick applied leather cleaner and conditioner to the e-brake boot and the shift boot, both of which now look 100% better. I popped the rest of the coin holder together and reinstalled the center console.

Not wanting to end there, we adjusted the clutch stop to a more aggressive position, i.e. pretty much as low as we could so that the clutch switch would still be triggered and that's that!

Quote:
Old 04-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #407
slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Glad it helped!

Do you get any response at all from the starter? Clicking, etc.?
How about the fuel pump? Does it prime? Does it run continuously when the key is turned?
I'd start with the simple stuff, like maybe the battery drained while the engine was being swapped or maybe the starter isn't completely hooked up. Is that battery cable that runs across the cabin filter housing connected?
I put the battery on a charger for awhile, but heard no clicks from the starter. The starter and all wires are connected save for the headlights, the intake manifold (I want to check for any leaks below) and the cabin filter, but I just plugged in the AFM for the moment so there's a connection. I couldn't hear any starter clicking even with the intake manifold off, but since I've never turned a key on a e46 m3, I don't know what all the sounds are - I think it was the SMG pump and the ABS pump from me turning the key and checking the engine bay (brake lines never cracked).

I did change the fuel filter, but turning the key and waiting a bit each time should get fuel there(?). I wonder if the fuel shut off is still there for some reason, even though I rechecked the codes and the reader found none? I finally just got the right enhanced BMW module for the autoeng. OBDII, so we'll see next weekend (car is remote to me at the moment).

I did notice that the EML light lit up briefly (along with several others that stayed on that, according to the manual aren't deal breakers or unknowns) but I have no experience if this is an issue.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #408
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
I put the battery on a charger for awhile, but heard no clicks from the starter. The starter and all wires are connected save for the headlights, the intake manifold (I want to check for any leaks below) and the cabin filter, but I just plugged in the AFM for the moment so there's a connection. I couldn't hear any starter clicking even with the intake manifold off, but since I've never turned a key on a e46 m3, I don't know what all the sounds are - I think it was the SMG pump and the ABS pump from me turning the key and checking the engine bay (brake lines never cracked).

I did change the fuel filter, but turning the key and waiting a bit each time should get fuel there(?). I wonder if the fuel shut off is still there for some reason, even though I rechecked the codes and the reader found none? I finally just got the right enhanced BMW module for the autoeng. OBDII, so we'll see next weekend (car is remote to me at the moment).

I did notice that the EML light lit up briefly (along with several others that stayed on that, according to the manual aren't deal breakers or unknowns) but I have no experience if this is an issue.

Thanks for the help!
Gotcha.

The reason I asked about the fuel pump was because the immobilizer on an M3 is an ignition/starter cutoff. If the fuel pump is running, that means the ignition switch is working, but either the EWS disabled the starter or the starter itself isn't working for whatever reason. If you hold the key in the start position, you should hear the fuel pump running constantly. The sound will emanate from under the rear seat. The SMG pump only primes occasionally.

Some things that will tell EWS to disable the starter are:
1. A key mismatch, which can happen if the ring antenna around the ignition lock cylinder isn't reading the correct code from the key (an issue I had with a key that was poorly repaired by the P.O.)
2. In a 6spd car, the clutch switch; or in an SMG car, the hood sensor (so make sure the hood is closed and depressing the switch!)
3. DME and EWS mismatch, if you tried swapping one of those modules out individually (they are paired)

I'm not sure, but the AE might be able to read the EWS info and tell you why the starter is disabled. The BMW INPA software has this capability and will show which conditions, if any, weren't met.

HTH

Quote:
Old 04-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #409
slate

Thanks! I'll keep you updated on what I find.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #410
cyberkaa

Another eventful weekend in the garage...
Jon (juju396) came over around noon to have some coding done on his E46 M3, in this case the very popular corner delete mod. We also read his codes and went over some possible solutions to an intermittent DSC fault that he's seeing.

Ryan (skinrock over on e90post) came over later to get his Injen intake install checked out on his E90 335i. Everything looked good, or as good as it could be given the parts injen supplies. The intake looks decently made, but the mounting hardware could use some design tweaks. We also went over a list of popular coding options for his car and figured out which ones he wants when he comes back for some coding soon.

MissLisa and Arrows came over today and we took a look at Lisa's E85 Z4M roadster. The brake fluid reservoir cap was missing so we took care of that first followed by a brief inspection. Looks like she'll be needing new front brake pads soon as well as front tires. I also recommended a brake fluid flush since the cap had been left off for an extended period of time and the fluid was a bit dark. We read out the codes, which showed several sporadic faults that weren't currently present. They may have been from a previous intermittent short caused by a leak, so they'll hopefully stay gone now that they've been cleared.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #411
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
Pics of misslisa
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:28 AM   #412
cyberkaa

She's MrsLisa now.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #413
evilstar

Oh sorry I did not know. Forgiveness please

pics of mrslisa.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #414
cyberkaa

Totally expected that.

But no.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #415
evilstar

Quote:

Totally expected that.

But no.
Of you expected that why didn't you post pics?

Could we get pics of you in those see threw pjs I hear so much about instead?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #416
cyberkaa

We paint pictures with words in this thread.

Quote:
Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #417
sellsellsell2000

My Ride: E46 seden
Send a message via AIM to sellsellsell2000
Quote:
We paint pictures with words in this thread.
Thanks for driving all the way up to San Francisco to diagnose my car.

Another favor please. Know any 'Dent Pro' people might show up at the next gathering? Like a event of some sort.

BMW /// 323i

OEM M-Tech II front & rear bumper /// Cluster Ring /// Grimace Fog Lights /// CCFL angel eye

330i Diff /// REMUS Exhaust /// Heat Shield Cold Air Intake

sellsellsell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #418
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsellsell2000 View Post
Thanks for driving all the way up to San Francisco to diagnose my car.

Another favor please. Know any 'Dent Pro' people might show up at the next gathering? Like a event of some sort.

No prob, man. Glad it wasn't too serious.

This guy Justin usually does the local PDR days. I'll try to remember to post a thread in the regional section if I hear anything.

Quote:
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #419
sellsellsell2000

My Ride: E46 seden
Send a message via AIM to sellsellsell2000
Quote:
No prob, man. Glad it wasn't too serious.

This guy Justin usually does the local PDR days. I'll try to remember to post a thread in the regional section if I hear anything.

BMW /// 323i

OEM M-Tech II front & rear bumper /// Cluster Ring /// Grimace Fog Lights /// CCFL angel eye

330i Diff /// REMUS Exhaust /// Heat Shield Cold Air Intake

sellsellsell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #420
slate

Quick update: 2 basic issues and not sure how connected, if at all - engine won't strt and can't select/engage SMG gears. I connected the AE software/HW to the car this past weekend - has a repeatable (comes back after trying to start post-clear) fuel pump relay fault. problem is.. I can't find it - not behind glove box, not in trunk on pass. side. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to see where this relay/module is on a 'vert (and p/n). Also, when I tried to actuate the fuel pump via the AE software, the SMG pump would run. However, the SMG pump runs when doors are opened and if actuated via the software. Also, in the live component monitoring, the circuit for the "starter motor blocked due to p/n" is open(?; a couple of other "starter motor blocked..." items are closed? or show green/0), so maybe that is why I can't do any SMG gear selecting to purge (both hood circuits were open/ reacted to hood closing[ red/1]); the SMG has a "clutch actuation dynamics" fault (003B) and a unknown trouble code (0057). I can hear the tranny try to shift and then later release. That AE software is neat, though. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Tags
epic