E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #421
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
You drove to a client? Why do I have to drive to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #422
Devious21

My Ride: is topless
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
No prob, man. Glad it wasn't too serious.

This guy Justin usually does the local PDR days. I'll try to remember to post a thread in the regional section if I hear anything.
I really need the PDR/Wheel Repair day.

Devious21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #423
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Quick update: 2 basic issues and not sure how connected, if at all - engine won't strt and can't select/engage SMG gears. I connected the AE software/HW to the car this past weekend - has a repeatable (comes back after trying to start post-clear) fuel pump relay fault. problem is.. I can't find it - not behind glove box, not in trunk on pass. side. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to see where this relay/module is on a 'vert (and p/n). Also, when I tried to actuate the fuel pump via the AE software, the SMG pump would run. However, the SMG pump runs when doors are opened and if actuated via the software. Also, in the live component monitoring, the circuit for the "starter motor blocked due to p/n" is open(?; a couple of other "starter motor blocked..." items are closed? or show green/0), so maybe that is why I can't do any SMG gear selecting to purge (both hood circuits were open/ reacted to hood closing[ red/1]); the SMG has a "clutch actuation dynamics" fault (003B) and a unknown trouble code (0057). I can hear the tranny try to shift and then later release. That AE software is neat, though. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Haven't used AE, but it sounds like hood circuits are working, right?
So it's blocking the starter motor due to P/N, which I would interpret as the car not being in park/neutral. If the SMG is having trouble shifting, then yeah, it might be a problem. Can you get a readout of hydraulic pressure? I've used INPA on an SMG car and it made it really easy to figure out what the problem was exactly. In that case, it turned out all of the readouts would fall to implausible values because the salmon relay was going bad.

Also, the fuel pump relay is behind the rear right trim panel in coupes. Might be the same for verts. This is the panel that's on your right if you're sitting in the backseat.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #424
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by albeee View Post
You drove to a client? Why do I have to drive to you?
Well, I drove to 4 clients who happened to be near each other and they weren't too far away.
Move to Norcal and I might make house calls for you, too.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #425
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
I really need the PDR/Wheel Repair day.
Heard that one might be going on after bimmerfest. Will post in the regional section if I hear anything.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #426
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
Quote:
Well, I drove to 4 clients who happened to be near each other and they weren't too far away.
Move to Norcal and I might make house calls for you, too.
k

I'll move to Sacramento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:29 AM   #427
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeee View Post
k

I'll move to Sacramento.
That doesn't count.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #428
slate

My Ride: 1987 325ic, 2003 M3
Quote:
Haven't used AE, but it sounds like hood circuits are working, right?
So it's blocking the starter motor due to P/N, which I would interpret as the car not being in park/neutral. If the SMG is having trouble shifting, then yeah, it might be a problem. Can you get a readout of hydraulic pressure? I've used INPA on an SMG car and it made it really easy to figure out what the problem was exactly. In that case, it turned out all of the readouts would fall to implausible values because the salmon relay was going bad.

Also, the fuel pump relay is behind the rear right trim panel in coupes. Might be the same for verts. This is the panel that's on your right if you're sitting in the backseat.
Yes, the hood circuits are working. I can't get a readout of hydraulic pressure, but I know it needs to be bled. A stupid brand new cloth was covering the exposed unit and ended up drawing some fluid out of it before it was buttoned back up. Best methods of purging and allowing it to be in neutral? - I can't actuate the gears one at a time to help in this. Thanks for the relay location; yeah, it's the same for the 'verts (f'in Bentley is still error-filled, not just the e30 version) as I just got confirmation from the dealer. INPA =? BTW, thanks again and I don't mean to threadjack your adventure
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:08 AM   #429
cyberkaa

Quote:
Yes, the hood circuits are working. I can't get a readout of hydraulic pressure, but I know it needs to be bled. A stupid brand new cloth was covering the exposed unit and ended up drawing some fluid out of it before it was buttoned back up. Best methods of purging and allowing it to be in neutral? - I can't actuate the gears one at a time to help in this. Thanks for the relay location; yeah, it's the same for the 'verts (f'in Bentley is still error-filled, not just the e30 version) as I just got confirmation from the dealer. INPA =? BTW, thanks again and I don't mean to threadjack your adventure
Not a problem. I don't mind you asking questions here.
INPA is OEM software.
I guess there's two things I should have asked about. There's the SMG pump hydraulic fluid and then there's the clutch hydraulic fluid (brake fluid), too. The BMW DIS software covers the bleeding procedures (INPA makes the options available, too, IIRC) and I'm sure AE would do the same.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #430
slate

I don't remember unfastening the brake line for the clutch (fluid level never changed), as the clutch slave is driven by the SMG pump, IIRC. So, only the smg fluid needs to be added (I temporarily attached the reservoir to the hose to the pump, with little luck in getting the fluid to flow down/ no change in reservoir level. As appears to be typical with software/HW, there are no bleeding instructions - just some selectable options such as single gear actuations and a couple of clutch options that I can't exactly recall at the moment (learning, slip points?, etc.)
Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #431
cyberkaa

Quote:
I don't remember unfastening the brake line for the clutch (fluid level never changed), as the clutch slave is driven by the SMG pump, IIRC. So, only the smg fluid needs to be added (I temporarily attached the reservoir to the hose to the pump, with little luck in getting the fluid to flow down/ no change in reservoir level. As appears to be typical with software/HW, there are no bleeding instructions - just some selectable options such as single gear actuations and a couple of clutch options that I can't exactly recall at the moment (learning, slip points?, etc.)
That's right, I forget that the SMG slave runs off that same system.
Here's a great thread on how it works in the different tools: http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=343511
I use DIS (post #8) and INPA (post #9). It looks like you need to bleed the actuator followed by the slave cylinder.

Quote:
Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #432
slate

thanks! This helps and I'm asking them to see if I can get some actual bleeding info using the AE software (if possible). Hopefully, I'll have some info before trying to get the car going this weekend after taking last weekend off at JazzFest in New Orleans (blues, rock, zydeco, etc.; Kid Rock was badass).
Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #433
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
I can't wait for the sql
evilstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #434
slate

Kalim,

This is where I'm at right now:

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthrea...post1064844149
Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #435
cyberkaa

Gotcha. Looks like you're getting close.

Quote:
Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #436
slate

at a dead end. selector shaft is twisting, but no back/forth movement when selecting gears via AE software. hate towing car 100 miles to a stealer
Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #437
cyberkaa

That sucks. I don't really have much more advice to offer off the top of my head. I find it strange that the selector shaft is moving through the gates, but not into gear.

Quote:
Old 06-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #438
sellsellsell2000

My Ride: E46 seden
Send a message via AIM to sellsellsell2000
Thank you Kalim! I appreciate all your help with my oem suspensions.

BMW /// 323i

OEM M-Tech II front & rear bumper /// Cluster Ring /// Grimace Fog Lights /// CCFL angel eye

330i Diff /// REMUS Exhaust /// Heat Shield Cold Air Intake

sellsellsell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #439
cyberkaa

No prob, man!

Quote:
Old 06-05-2011, 04:41 AM   #440
mkodama

So when is the new "garage" going to be actually emptied of boxes and setup the way an actual garage is supposed to be?

Anything less than Mclaren's standards and I will be disappoint.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epic