E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #481
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
<3

y u no teach me your ways?!

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #482
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa

Because postcount

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #483
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
this guy is legit....
omhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #484
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by omhl View Post
this guy is legit....
Unlike some other shady azn kids that I hear pass by KLX auto on occasion.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #485
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
Referred my friend to you for rear shock install .
omhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #486
Kris.R

My Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger
Bump for a super cool guy!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-Abraham Lincoln-
Kris.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #487
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post

Today (Monday), DJ Reminisce (Kayvan) came over in the morning to have his blown OEM suspension replaced on his ZHP coupe with a Ground Control spring and shock setup. The rears went in without a hitch, but a stud on the strut hat on the driver's side broke free, rendering the hat unusable. We decided to hold off on the fronts as the new struts did not come with new hats and Kayvan would have to order new ones.
New hats and dust sleeves in hand! Look forward to finishing off the installation tonight man!

Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #488
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
this guy is legit....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Unlike some other shady azn kids that I hear pass by KLX auto on occasion.

Quote:
Referred my friend to you for rear shock install .
Thanks, Oscar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris.R View Post
Bump for a super cool guy!
Thanks, Kris!

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 07-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #489
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Reminisce View Post
New hats and dust sleeves in hand! Look forward to finishing off the installation tonight man!

Awesome. Will see you and your car tonight.

Quote:
Old 09-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #490
slate

My Ride: 1987 325ic, 2003 M3
Hey, just to update you - I'm driving the car! It's absolutely fantastic! After the "hard code" that I couldn't get rid of, the bad starter that the shop found and then the clutch was off just enough on my install to have the clutch retensioned, reinstalled with the $400+ clutch tool (despite the SMG clutch writeup that iI found on here that did without), and a reinstall of the SMG software, it was ready to go! Starting in December, using your engine swap writeup, traveling 4 hrs one way to work on it and 3 months in shops, it's been a long road, but after driving the car about 1000 miles in the last 4 or so days... WOW! Thanks!
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #491
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Hey, just to update you - I'm driving the car! It's absolutely fantastic! After the "hard code" that I couldn't get rid of, the bad starter that the shop found and then the clutch was off just enough on my install to have the clutch retensioned, reinstalled with the $400+ clutch tool (despite the SMG clutch writeup that iI found on here that did without), and a reinstall of the SMG software, it was ready to go! Starting in December, using your engine swap writeup, traveling 4 hrs one way to work on it and 3 months in shops, it's been a long road, but after driving the car about 1000 miles in the last 4 or so days... WOW! Thanks!
That was quite a journey, but your perseverance paid off. Congrats!

Quote:
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #492
cyberkaa

Back from vacation and into the swing of things...

Kyle (323ci newbie) finally has a new suspension to replace his well-worn OEM one.
We also attempted to replace his burned out electric fan today, but found out that the part was incorrect. Bummer.

I'll be trying to work through a backlog of things on the E30 to make it a reliable daily driver again so I can start working on the S54 swap in the sedan. More to come...

Quote:
Old 09-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #493
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Don't give a shiit about what this thread is about.

Just came in here to scream at you for your 100k posts.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #494
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
Don't give a shiit about what this thread is about.

Just came in here to scream at you for your 100k posts.
You mad, brah?

Quote:
Old 09-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #495
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
I'm 'mirin
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #496
323ci newbie

My Ride: mkodama
Old 09-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #497
323ci newbie

My Ride: mkodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Back from vacation and into the swing of things...

Kyle (323ci newbie) finally has a new suspension to replace his well-worn OEM one.
We also attempted to replace his burned out electric fan today, but found out that the part was incorrect. Bummer.

I'll be trying to work through a backlog of things on the E30 to make it a reliable daily driver again so I can start working on the S54 swap in the sedan. More to come...
thanks kalim!

Y U NO FINISH SWAP?!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #498
cyberkaa

Busy weekend!

Started Saturday off by helping Robert (robt_sf) with his E46 vert in the morning. Robert came by a while back to have his LCM reflashed for HIDs hoping to solve a flickering issue he had with the OEM headlights he had retrofitted. The headlights would work fine on battery it seems, but would start flickering continuously after 10-15 seconds if the car was running. Additionally, turning other electrical devices on, such as the heater, defroster, or windows, would either momentarily stop the flickering or kill the lights altogether until the car was shut off. Flashing the LCM hadn't helped, so we went through a step by step diagnosis checking for correct voltage at the headlight connectors, taillight ground, etc. Everything checked out, so the last thing we tried was plugging in a spare LCM I had on hand. It solved the problem completely, so Robert is going to see about getting a new one.

After that, I gave the E30 a much needed wash. It's amazing how dirty a tree can make a car in such a short time...

Finally, I headed over to help TKC (Toby) with some wiring on his Yamaha R6. We started a retrofit of his HID projectors into the headlight housing last weekend and Toby finished that up a few days ago, so I had gone over again to figure out how to make the projectors come on with the high/low beam switches the way he wanted. Yesterday, we worked on getting rid of some glitches (poorly designed harness connector) and routing the cables. Unfortunately, the bike decided it didn't want to start anymore, so after finishing what we could, we called it quits. Toby finished tying the cables up today and the end result is simply awesome.

Today, I got down to some regular maintenance on the E30. The A/C and power steering v-belts had snapped on the way to Toby's house yesterday, so that was the first order of business. Next, I checked the front suspension out as the front tires have worn very unevenly in the last 500 miles or so. The control arms and bushings checked out ok, so I'll be picking up some new tires and getting the car aligned hopefully next week. I finished up by topping the fluids up, checking the air pressure in the tires, and testing the lights. One high-beam bulb is out and I'll need to fix what's probably a bad ground that's affecting both the right low-beam and turn signal. D'oh.

For some good news, I've gotten another load of parts for the S54 sedan swap. I'll be picking up a few pieces to complete the clutch setup soon.

Quote:
Old 10-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #499
cyberkaa

Did some more work over the weekend...

On Saturday, one of my coworkers with an E46 came by for a quick bit of maintenance. First up, we had to address the slow leak from the transmission drain plug that I spotted last time when I had his car off the ground to replace RTABs and FCABs. It was a good opportunity to change the transmission fluid, so after a quick drain, I replaced the plug with a new one and refilled the transmission with some fresh fluid. Next, I read out the fault codes to see what was causing an SES light to pop up intermittently and it looks like the thermostat is stuck open so that'll be the next item on the maintenance list. Finally, we popped in a fresh cabin air filter. The old one hadn't been changed in ages and it certainly showed...

Later, Robert (robt_sf) came by with the brand new LCM to replace the one we determined last week to be faulty, so I plugged it in and flashed it for him. No tamper dot and perfect HID light function for his vert.
Robert's wife also brought her E46 sedan by to get an SRS fault diagnosed and cleared. The module had logged a supply voltage fault at one of the tensioners. The code didn't come back after being cleared, so hopefully it'll stay gone.

Today, Jason (sellsellsell2000) and his 323i visited the garage to have the oil filter housing gasket replaced. Jason's car had been making a horrible mess in his driveway because of copious amounts of oil leaking from that area. We also found that oil had seeped out near the banjo fitting that connects the VANOS oil line to the rear side of the oil filter housing. It wasn't clear whether the line itself had leaked from the rotating joint on the hard section or if the banjo fitting itself was the cause, so we replaced the banjo bolt and installed a pair of new sealing washers for now. We'll see how that holds up when Jason comes back next time for his VANOS seals.

Sorry for the lack of pics!
WTB: lovely assistant to photograph garagewerke!

Next week: Inspection II on an E46 M3! Well, if the schedule works out, anyway. I'll try to take pics of that since some parts of that service are interesting.

Quote:
Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #500
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Dude for real? Stop working on oter people's crap and do your own car
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epic