E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
What temp is best for thermostat

I have "upgraded" to a non-adjustable unit. It has a 92C thermostat. I would appreciate a discussion on options.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I don't know that any therms are adjustable...mine isn't. Nor sure what options you have other than to install it or just glue it somewhere just for show!

Bump for you!

D

and I'm on phone, so if I wrote something stupid, it might just be the phone!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
franz

I didn't really mean adjustable, but rather that the OEM one is variable and mine is fixed at one temp. What are the +/- or going higher or lower than 92C?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Well, the downside is you'll probably get a code for the thermostat heater circuit. P1620 I think. Unlike with the factory thermostat, your engine will keep running cooler on the highway at steady cruising speeds which will make a slight negative impact on your emissions and fuel economy. In stop and go driving or under heavier throttle the factory thermostat already opened at lower temps so you get no advantage there. If you don't mind having the stored code I don't think the differences will be big enough to even notice so don't worry about them. Then again, unless this stat was free or really cheap there's no benefit either...
Old 02-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
I am not sure what you are attempting to accomplish with the fixed temp thermostat. If you run the car hard with the 92C, it will very likely retard the ignition timing to prevent knock, reducing your performance.
The original thermostat varies the temp based on several inputs. Under high load conditions it will have about a 185F temp (85C).

From this link: http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r.../e46/index.htm
The MS42/MS43/MS45 ECU-

With the aid of the characteristic map thermostat, the coolant temperature can now be influenced specifically within this operating range (thermostat control range).

In this way it is possible to set a higher coolant temperature in the partial load range of the engine. Higher operating temperatures in the partial load range achieve improved combustion, reflected in lower fuel consumption and pollutant emission.

However, higher operating temperatures in the full load range would involve specific disadvantages (ignition timing (angle) reduction due to knocking). For this reason, lower coolant temperatures are set specifically in the full load range with the aid of the characteristic map thermostat.

With the aid of this thermostat it is possible to specifically increase the coolant temperature in the partial load range. By increasing the coolant temperature under these engine operating conditions, it is possible to reduce fuel consumption. This characteristic map thermostat is controlled by the engine control unit dependent on a characteristic map.

This characteristic map is determined by the following factors:

* Engine load
* Engine speed
* Vehicle speed
* Intake temperature
* Coolant temperature

In the event of control intervention by the DME control unit, power (12 V) is applied to the heating element integrated in the thermostat. Heating the expansion element means that the thermostat now opens at lower coolant temperatures than would be the case without the additional heating function (thermostat control range: approx. 80C - 103C).

Coolant temperature gauge

The indicator characteristics of the coolant temperature gauge in the instrument cluster have been adapted to the higher temperature level of the engine due to the use of the characteristic map thermostat.

The pointer of the coolant temperature gauge in the instrument cluster is located in the mid-position at coolant temperatures of

75C - 113C in center position.

Last edited by shanneba; 02-05-2011 at 06:37 AM.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
franz

In order to reduce cooling system issues I have changed the OEM thermostat to the one from Zionsville. It uses a fixed thermostat. I am going to have to research more to decide if it reduces my performance, I wouldn't think they would sell stuff that does that. I also have a Stewart water pump with aluminum pulley and a Zionsville radiator with aluminum expansion tank so basically the only OEM type cooling issues I have to deal with are the 2 hoses and the belt.

Last edited by franz; 02-05-2011 at 01:42 PM.
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
MasterC17

My Ride: hates A/C & Sunroofs
A little late here but I have the same thermostat housing and went with an 80 Celcius thermostat. See my thread here for more info on the subject: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=800308
MasterC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
franz

Thanks, good thread you had going. I have the 92 degree and also it's not a daily driver, it is slowly turning into a track car. I am going to put about 200+ miles on it at VIR this weekend and will do that at least 3 times this year. Also, I have another car, it doesn't get driven nearly as often as it used to.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
A little late here but I have the same thermostat housing and went with an 80 Celcius thermostat.
What is the size of the thermostat?
I am considering the Zionsville thermostat and considering a Stewart thermostat 180F.

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Mer...ory_Code=Therm
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote