E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Flex disc & center support bearing?

It appears I'm going to pay someone for my ssk and related bushing install and, while down there, I figure I should refresh the DS guibo and CSB. Question is the OEM parts are 3x more costly than non-OEM ones. Is there much difference in terms of quality between these that I should stick to OEM? Will DS alignment be an issue and does the non-oem CSB produce some noise that cab be heard in the cabin..?

Thanx in advance...
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Alignment is not an issue in this scenario - the driveshaft bolts on at two ends - the CSB just needs to be tilted a little to 'preload it'. What do you mean by non-OEM ones? Faulkner's online store has pretty compelling OEM pricing: http://www.bmwpartssource.com/

Also - if your car's build date is after 3/2003 - be aware that the Bentley manual doesn't cover your driveshaft - hopefully the person that will be working on it understands it. The connection between the two sections of the driveshaft is simpler & the prying mentioned in step 5 of this DIY is not obvious: http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/diy_diff.htm

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 10-21-2010 at 08:01 AM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
Alignment is not an issue in this scenario - the driveshaft bolts on at two ends - the CSB just needs to be tilted a little to 'preload it'. What do you mean by non-OEM ones? Faulkner's online store has pretty compelling OEM pricing: http://www.bmwpartssource.com/

Also - if your car's build date is after 3/2003 - be aware that the Bentley manual doesn't cover your driveshaft - hopefully the person that will be working on it understands it. The connection between the two sections of the driveshaft is simpler & the prying mentioned in step 5 of this DIY is not obvious: http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/diy_diff.htm
Thanx, mine is an 03/03 build! Should the guy expect any surprises?
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
Just make sure the guibo goes on as it should...if installed one bolt off...it's a mile off! Also, bolts face different direction...three forward, three backward, and iirc, the nut goes on the flange end...bolts go in following the directions of the arrows on side of guibo.

CSB is pushed forward for pre-load...mark shadow from old bracket and match that. Also, there's a strip of butyl tape that goes on top of csb, and if you just get the bracket, you won't get that...and you may or may not be able to reuse what was there...I like that tape even though my shop said it wasn't critical. They're prolly right...they mostly are...but being OCD, just like things done by the book.

FYI...I didn't do guibo/csb myself...just got parts, read many diys/vids...and watched!

HTH

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
You have the newer driveshaft I was talking about. Dmax gives a good overview. You should replace that butyl gunk - mineral oil from a hardware store is used clean the old stuff off. Mainly make sure the guy doing it knows about step 5 in that DIY.

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote