E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
tavuslokus

My Ride: Steel Grey FTW
Instrument panel glitch... Please help!

For what matters rainy afternoon. Start vehicle, turn on headlights (p46s). Instrument had some hic up. Now 0 or initial setting on all gauges is displaced. Please need some help to fix this. Thanks.
* will add image as soon as i get home

* Panama City, Panama * CSL 18" + Toyo P4s * Umnitza P46 + Orion V2 AEs * HID Fogs * Smoked Corner & Sidemarkers + Smoked EE LED Tails * Matte Black Grills * LED Plate + Reverse lights *
tavuslokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Do a quick test and see if your cluster will respond/reset.

Let me know if that works.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
do you have any aftermarket lighting such as HID fog lights, headlights, LED's, etc?

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Did the cluster basically drop all of the needles to zero and reset?

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavuslokus View Post
For what matters rainy afternoon. Start vehicle, turn on headlights (p46s). Instrument had some hic up. Now 0 or initial setting on all gauges is displaced. Please need some help to fix this. Thanks.
* will add image as soon as i get home
Just out of curiosity...are these headlights a new addition..or have you done any other things to your car recently? If so...back out of what you did if you can.

Depending on what cluster test shows...not sure, but think some have had success with disconnecting cluster from behind for a little bit...but leave that for Bimmers to follow up on...haven't done it...just read about it.

I only know what's been wrong with my car...which is prolly everything except the cluster (damn...I shouldn't have written that!).

D

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
tavuslokus

OK, tks... here're the results... (first image engine is off, then videos of tests and earlier while driving...)

* Panama City, Panama * CSL 18" + Toyo P4s * Umnitza P46 + Orion V2 AEs * HID Fogs * Smoked Corner & Sidemarkers + Smoked EE LED Tails * Matte Black Grills * LED Plate + Reverse lights *
Old 10-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
tavuslokus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
do you have any aftermarket lighting such as HID fog lights, headlights, LED's, etc?
Yes.... I've had Umnitza P46lite for headlights and DDMtuning HIDs for fogs, since December. No issues until today.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
tavuslokus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Did the cluster basically drop all of the needles to zero and reset?
Nope. Engine just been started -> headlights on switch -> Slight jump forward on the all needles - Nothing else...

Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
tavuslokus

Morning bump... Any more thoughts?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
Scott87

My Ride: 325ci 2001
Two torx screws at the top of your cluster, remove them and pull the cluster forward (may need to lower your steering wheel). On the back of the cluster are two electrical connectors. As you sit in the drivers seat looking forward remove the one on the right first then the one on the left. Connect the left one back up then the right one. As you do this your cluster will make a weird noise, this is fine. After this test your cluster again.

If this doesn't work you will have to pop your cluster apart and manually reset the needles. You simply remove the screws from the back and the front/back plates come off. Turn the needles counter-clockwise to where they should be and your good to go. See my LED cluster DIY in my sig for some pics and help on any of these procedures.

If you need any help, let me know.
Scott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
tavuslokus

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott87 View Post
...Connect the left one back up then the right one. As you do this your cluster will make a weird noise, this is fine. After this test your cluster again...
Easy 5 mins fix...!!! Thank you all very very much..!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
^
Rock Solid!
Glad to see your cluster back to 100%

@Scott87
Great suggestion! I will remember that, if I ever experience a cluster hiccup.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote