E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
PromethWill88

My Ride: 04 Dinan S M3
Door Adjustment Screw

Does anyone know what the door adjustment screw parts number is (torx)? i cant find the part # on this besides on this screenshot, and even then theres no part # in the catalog:

I was adjusting it and accidently unscrewed it too much and the screw came out and fell thru into the inside of my door. I really dont want to take the trim apart just to get to it.

Last edited by PromethWill88; 10-21-2010 at 04:55 PM.
PromethWill88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
the ones that come with ikea furniture works...

4mm torx

"We've come a long long way together, through the hard times and the good. I have to celebrate you baby, I have to praise you like I should...
I have to praise you like I should.."

Last edited by MachRc; 10-21-2010 at 05:05 PM.
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
I think you might be SOL on this one. I think the adjustment screw is part of the actuator assembly, not a separate part. Looks like you're going to have to take that door panel off and do some door panel spelunking.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
PromethWill88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post

4mm torx
how sure are u on the size of the screw?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
PromethWill88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMooch View Post
I think you might be SOL on this one. I think the adjustment screw is part of the actuator assembly, not a separate part. Looks like you're going to have to take that door panel off and do some door panel spelunking.
hmm, i dont think so though. im looking at the parts diagram and the actuator. i ordered part 15 on that diagram. (part#51217049951)

i dont know if its the right part, but the parts dept person told me it is.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
5ynd1cat3

That's not what you need. Part #15 is the screw that holds the key cylinder assembly next to the door handle. You need the adjustment screw that adjusts the door opening from the outside. I have an old actuator in the garage. Let me see if I can get the adjustment screw out and I'll send it to you. But you'll probably have to take the door panel off anyways because I believe you'll need to remove the actuator to reinstall the adjustment screw. If you unscrewed part #15 all the way out and it fell into your door then you have other problems because that screw is not designed to come out all the way.

Last edited by 5ynd1cat3; 10-21-2010 at 07:45 PM.
5ynd1cat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
that screw is not what you need.

just take the panel off. it takes about 5 minutes.. if you're taking your time and drunk. Use one of those magnetic antenna things to get in there and fetch it so you don't have to pull the vapor barrier off.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
epistaxis2008

My Ride: 2002 330ci
if u don't have one of those magnetic adjustable telescoping extendo reach thingies then just roll it over...
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
PromethWill88

yeah, I'll probably just work on it this weekend. I thought I have to pull the vapor barrier regardless to get to the inside of the door?

dermooch, if I can't get to the missing screw, I'll PM you for your screw. I'll even pay for your time an shipping.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
PromethWill88

do I really need to take actuator out to reinstall the screw? can't I just screw it back in the hole
from the outside?
Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
5ynd1cat3

I'm not sure if you'd be able to get that screw back in without removing the actuator or not. You might get lucky though, which would be great as removing the actuator isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to do. Keep me posted if you need the screw.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
PromethWill88

ok, i just got the screw after tearing into my door. (the vapor barrier is a pain in the a$$). the bad news is that i cant fit the screw back into the hole, the thick part is too big to fit through the hole. pic attached below:

i'm thinking i can just goto home depot and pick up the same size screw (which won't have the thick part at the top) and just screw that in. what do you guys think?

Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
looks just like the caliper bolt
Old 10-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
5ynd1cat3

Maybe widen the hole with a dremel grider bit then get a plug that'll fit the hole from home depot?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
PromethWill88

that's an idea if i cant find a screw of the same size.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
that screw is not what you need.

just take the panel off. it takes about 5 minutes.. if you're taking your time and drunk. Use one of those magnetic antenna things to get in there and fetch it so you don't have to pull the vapor barrier off.
Once you get used to it, you can get that whole door panel off in 5-10 min... just a remove a few screws, pop out the plastic clips, unhook a wire here and there, and "boom"...

As far as the bolt, I'd also say you may be SOL. You'll probably have to get a whole new assembly to get a new bolt. I'd just dive into the door and extract the old one... I wouldn't want that thing rattling around in my door anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post

4mm torx
Please tell me you're joking.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
PromethWill88

*****UPDATE*****

I ended up using a dremel to widen the hole like DerMooch suggested, it was enough to get the screw in. however, i spent the next hour trying to get the screw to screw back in. i literally sat there for an hour trying to get the sucker in, it just won't thread even with a little applied force.

ended up putting the panel back on, calling it a night and told myself to live with it.

fast foward to today, I was randomly browsing and looked over the screenshot I posted up in the 1st post instructions. It says to turn clockwise to tighten the DRIVER side door and counter-clockwise to tighten the PASSENGER side door. Went out to my car and literally in 30 seconds had the thing back screwed in, turns out I was spending an hour screwing the bolt in the wrong direction.

DOH! felt like an idiot but you got to learn from mistakes. hopefully this thread will help anyone who would be dumb as me to unscrew that bolt all the way out.

thanks to everyone who chimed in.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #18
5ynd1cat3

Good to hear things worked out Will. The reverse thread gets me too. Glad I could be of service.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
epistaxis2008

My Ride: 2002 330ci
good job, i woulda gave up long before u did...
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
Akovski

My Ride: 323CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromethWill88 View Post
*****UPDATE*****

I ended up using a dremel to widen the hole like DerMooch suggested, it was enough to get the screw in. however, i spent the next hour trying to get the screw to screw back in. i literally sat there for an hour trying to get the sucker in, it just won't thread even with a little applied force.

ended up putting the panel back on, calling it a night and told myself to live with it.

fast foward to today, I was randomly browsing and looked over the screenshot I posted up in the 1st post instructions. It says to turn clockwise to tighten the DRIVER side door and counter-clockwise to tighten the PASSENGER side door. Went out to my car and literally in 30 seconds had the thing back screwed in, turns out I was spending an hour screwing the bolt in the wrong direction.

DOH! felt like an idiot but you got to learn from mistakes. hopefully this thread will help anyone who would be dumb as me to unscrew that bolt all the way out.

thanks to everyone who chimed in.
Yeah i did the same thing, just unscrewed it and fell into my door. didnt wanna remove the vap sheeting. but guess ill have to.
Akovski is offline   Reply With Quote