E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
mp333

My Ride: 2003 325XI
*** Torque specs for XI

I just finished a cooling, belts and pensioner overhaul. Finding the specs on the torques for the bolts is PITA.
I tried buying the Bimmertools torque specs card, but unfortunately according to them it's for E46 i's only. Does not cover xi and M series.

I wonder if there is any source to get this info. It would be a lifesaver.

Last edited by mp333; 10-17-2010 at 10:51 PM.
mp333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Gryphon1171

My Ride: ZHP Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp333 View Post
I just finished a cooling, belts and pensioner overhaul. Finding the specs on the torques for the bolts is PITA.
I tried buying the Bimmertools torque specs card, but unfortunately it's for E46 i's only. Does not cover xi and M series.

I wonder if there is any source to get this info. It would be a lifesaver.
other than the oil pan and front drive train, and Xi is the same as any other e46 so the torque specs are the same.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
mp333

Not according to Bimmertools.....
Old 10-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Bolts are torqued in respect to the type/size of the bolt being tightened not what model of vehicle you drive..... This is an oversimplification and there are other nuances like differeing metals etc. But generally what I said holds true.

In regards to our XIs they will have the same torques as ant other E46 with the exception of some XI specific parts. If you are unable to find specs for the particular part, Torque it by the specs for that size bolt and you will be fine. You are over thinking this.

Last edited by GCoop; 10-17-2010 at 11:09 PM.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
e36-2.0

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoop View Post
bolts are torqued in respect to the type/size of the bolt being tightened not what model of vehicle you drive..... This is an oversimplification and there are other nuances like differeing metals etc. But generally what i said holds true.

In regards to our xis they will have the same torques as ant other e46 with the exception of some xi specific parts. If you are unable to find specs for the particular part, torque it by the specs for that size bolt and you will be fine. You are over thinking this.
+1

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin

Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
-Projecttechnik.com
e36-2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
mp333

I Agree.....I was under the same impression. but I was told otherwise by Bimmertools.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Hi all -

Just a note, while we were compiling specs for our E46 torque spec, the sources we were referencing had multiple variations for Xi and M cars, presumably due to the variety of parts used from year to year. In contrast, base E46 models had very firm numbers without variation from year to year. This is why we excluded Xi and M from the card.

Our card has specs for suspension, transmission, differential, etc... Many of the fasteners on these components are different on the Xi.

To avoid confusion and liability, I warned mp333 that our card was potentially not going to serve him well.

I hope that clears up our position...

Thanks!

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
FWIW, my Bentley contains a chart near the front of the manual listing the torque specs for different bolts, regardless of model. It's something like this:

http://www.cncexpo.com/MetricBoltTorque.aspx
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
mp333

Correct me here if needed....
The Bentley manual has a Torque chart.
The left column gives you the diameter of the bolt and the column shows the grade of the bolt. You can use a caliper to measure the thread thickness and look at bolt head for the grade. The bolt I was dealing with had 8.8 stamped on it. They were M8 & M10 from the hydraulic tensioner. The torques for these would be 24Nm & 47Nm.
You would basically this info to find the torque using the chart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02029.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	381472  

Last edited by mp333; 10-26-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Yes. If a specific torque is not mentioned by BMW or Bentley then following the values listed in the chart for the particular combination you are dealing with should be just fine.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote