E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Bert comes out?

In before some quality Bert gifs

Quote:
He's lived with a man for 31 years and wears turtlenecks and saddle shoes, and rumors of his homosexuality have swirled for years. But no one's ever heard directly from Sesame Street's Bert on his sexuality, until now... sort of.

On June 11, the famous puppet tweeted about the recent "A-Team" remake by comparing himself to A-Team star Mr-T, saying, "Ever notice how similar my hair is to Mr. T's? The only difference is mine is a little more 'mo,' a little less 'hawk.'"

To some the comment was just a cute quip about hairstyles, but to others, "mo" was short for "****" and this was Bert's way of coming out at the perfect time.

"Being sent right in the middle of Pride Month, it seemed like a fun coded message to us 'mos, and one that I was happy to pick up on," Ed Kennedy of the gay pop culture site AfterElton.com wrote on the site Monday.

Having been one of the first people to write about the tweet, Kennedy said it felt like, "a nice little 'in joke' for the gays, and nobody else the wiser about those two adult Muppets who have shared a bedroom for 30+ years."

Nearly four months later, the "in joke" is even more out than Bert allegedly is, gaining traction in major news outlets in the U.S. and abroad and raising the question, did Bert really out himself?

No, says Ellen Lewis, spokeswoman for "Sesame Street's" production company, Sesame Workshop.

"Our writer had no intention of implying anything by the tweet, no agenda and no idea that it would be interpreted any other way except that the 'A-Team' movie was out and Bert has, like, a mini-mohawk, so her intention was just a fun way to split up the word just to imply that his hairstyle is a shorter derivative of a longer Mohawk that Mr. T in the A-team wore," Lewis told FoxNews.com.

But this is hardly the first time Bert, or Ernie for that matter, has been accused of being gay.

"Bert and Ernie conduct themselves in the same loving, discreet way that millions of gay men, women and hand puppets do. They do their jobs well and live a splendidly settled life together in an impeccably decorated cabinet," writer Kurt Andersen says in his 1980 book "The Real Thing."

In 2002, Sesame Workshop blocked further showings of the short film "Ernest & Bertram," in which a character based on Ernie confesses his love for another character, based on Bert.

According to GayToday.com, Ernie was even asked directly about the alleged relationship at an appearance at Carnegie Mellon University, to which he replied: "All that stuff about me and Bert? It's not true. We're both very happy, but we're not gay."

Still Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), says with more homosexual guests on this season, "Sesame Street" is growing more LGTB-friendly than ever.

"As more and more loving and committed gay and lesbian couples begin families, it's important that their children see representations of their families on their favorite shows," he told the Los Angeles Times. "'Sesame Street' has a long history of teaching children about diversity and acceptance, and I don't expect that our community will be left out of that education."

Lewis says Bert and Ernie don't have a sexuality -- "they're puppets" -- and they were created to teach kids to get along with people who are different.

"We just want to show that kids can remain friends with people who have different personalities," she said.

Kennedy writes, "If Sesame Street needs to push Bert back into the closet he shares with Ernie (in the bedroom with the twin beds), that's fine. We know the truth. *wink-wink*"
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...s-bert-closet/
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
JohnMate

My Ride: What work gives me!
what does this make ernie! A life long friend or a bottom?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
budman
-not a mod-

Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
budman
-not a mod-

Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Come at me, Bert!
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
budman
-not a mod-

Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
What does mo mean?

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
I just realized something, if any of you know anything about bodybuilding.com/forums(they think they are the most alpha males ever) and they PRAISE burt, and now he is thought to be h0m0
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I just realized something, if any of you know anything about bodybuilding.com/forums(they think they are the most alpha males ever) and they PRAISE burt, and now he is thought to be h0m0
LOL beta as **** bro
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
does not approve
Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
JEFFEFECKS

My Ride: 05 IB ZCP
Send a message via AIM to JEFFEFECKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post