E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
davidt443

My Ride: 2001 325i
Who here has Knowledge on Computers and simulators?

Mainly this question is geared towards guys who use computers to play games.

Long story short, I need to build a computer that will run X-plane simulator well. Anyone here experienced with X-plane?

I have done plenty of research using google and pcpartpicker, building a rig that can handle x-plane.

I plan on using the fx8350 CPU. keep in mind this is a gaming computer, I don't need someone telling me that i need an intel cpu because they can handle things better etc. I'm not totally against intel, its just im trying to save pennies wherever I can. Also I have a MacBook pro for all my other needs in life.

Budget is around $800-1000

Monitors, I plan on using just one for now.

Also I will need some guidance on actually building the computer, so if yall would like to help that would be great.

Any help will be nice! Thanks

Here is the current build I have planned
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p4XnrH

Last edited by davidt443; 04-28-2015 at 01:18 PM.
davidt443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Buy a mac pro, best bang for the buck.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
dvsntt

My Ride: 01 325xi
You will need more than 120Gb I suspect. I have a computer I use only for iracing, which is a car racing simulator. I am rather serious about it, so I got some pretty beefed up hardware, but I also did not want to be in a position where I am replacing components often.

Here is my recommended build for a flawless experience and the highest detail available in the game: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MhztBm

On your budget however, I might recommend this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BnDtBm
dvsntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
cowmoo32
drunken science

He has an SSD and a standard 1TB drive, I think he's good on storage.

flickher

Old 04-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
I think he's good in every respect. I have no knowledge of X-plane, but the GTX970 is a pretty sweet card. I don't see any weaknesses in that rig that would prevent you from running that sim, unless that sim has godawfully steep graphics requirements that I'm not aware of. Question though: what monitor / resolution do you plan on running at?
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
davidt443

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Already have one.

It's a peasant to say the least when it comes to gaming.....
Old 04-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
davidt443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I think he's good in every respect. I have no knowledge of X-plane, but the GTX970 is a pretty sweet card. I don't see any weaknesses in that rig that would prevent you from running that sim, unless that sim has godawfully steep graphics requirements that I'm not aware of. Question though: what monitor / resolution do you plan on running at?
1080P 40'' T.V.

These simulators get pretty graphics intensive. Especially when you start adding in mods
Old 04-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
davidt443

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsntt View Post
You will need more than 120Gb I suspect. I have a computer I use only for iracing, which is a car racing simulator. I am rather serious about it, so I got some pretty beefed up hardware, but I also did not want to be in a position where I am replacing components often.

Here is my recommended build for a flawless experience and the highest detail available in the game: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MhztBm

On your budget however, I might recommend this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BnDtBm
The build with the I7 processor is damn near the same as my build, just more expensive
Old 04-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
davidt443

Minimum System Specifications

X-Plane 10 requires, at the minimum,
***9726;Dual Core, 2.5 GHz or faster
***9726;2 GB of RAM
***9726;A video card with at least 500 MB of VRAM.
***9726;DVD-ROM

Note that the version of the X-Plane 10 flight simulator we sell here at X-Plane.com will run on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. If you're interested, you can get more info on using X-Plane with a Mac.

Recommended System Specifications

For the best experience, we recommend the following system specs:
***9726;a 3+ GHz, multi-core CPU (or multiple processors),
***9726;8-16 GB of RAM,
***9726;a DVD-ROM, and
***9726;a high-performance, DirectX 11-capable video card with 2-4 GB of on-board, dedicated VRAM.

This is straight from X-planes website
Old 04-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt443 View Post
Already have one.

It's a peasant to say the least when it comes to gaming.....
I was joking. Macs are joke. I agree with Bart, I think you're good to go with what you have. Have you ever built a computer before?

flickher

Old 04-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #11
davidt443

Quote:
I was joking. Macs are joke. I agree with Bart, I think you're good to go with what you have. Have you ever built a computer before?
Negative ghostrider.. I plan on watching/studying youtube How-to's, and also if any of yall could input, that would be great. Just moved into new house and waiting on my internet to be hooked up, and then I will pull the trigger on all the parts. Then the fun will begin. Give or take 2 weeks. I have been itching to do this.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #12
cowmoo32
drunken science

Watch youtube to get the basics down, but it really isn't hard. You have the CPU, memory, and storage, the rest are just details and making it look pretty. The one thing I would say to do is put the memory in and plug in the power supply to be sure the motherboard will POST (power on self test) before you ever put anything in the case. It's a lot of fun, especially when you hit the power button and it boots up for the first time.

flickher

Old 04-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #13
davidt443

Quote:
Watch youtube to get the basics down, but it really isn't hard. You have the CPU, memory, and storage, the rest are just details and making it look pretty. The one thing I would say to do is put the memory in and plug in the power supply to be sure the motherboard will POST (power on self test) before you ever put anything in the case. It's a lot of fun, especially when you hit the power button and it boots up for the first time.
Cool, will do, I will make a new thread when all the parts arrive and yall can watch me F*** everything up
Old 04-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
Bartacus

We'll help you out while laughing at you though, kinda like payback for you being our entertainment. Sounds like you're good to go. Those are pretty steep recommended specs, especially for VRAM. I hope this sim isn't like Skyrim when it comes to mods though. People can bust that 4GB VRAM with intense mods in that game. I hope the mods in X-plane are easier on the system. If they aren't, you don't see many cards with over 4GB VRAM that don't cost a small fortune.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
davidt443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
We'll help you out while laughing at you though, kinda like payback for you being our entertainment. Sounds like you're good to go. Those are pretty steep recommended specs, especially for VRAM. I hope this sim isn't like Skyrim when it comes to mods though. People can bust that 4GB VRAM with intense mods in that game. I hope the mods in X-plane are easier on the system. If they aren't, you don't see many cards with over 4GB VRAM that don't cost a small fortune.
well, put it to you this way. by the time I have the computer built and running the simulator, if I start modding the sim where it overpowers the card. Ill have the money saved up to run 2 gtx 970's. Then it shouldn't be a problem from there. I also plan on getting into more pc gaming. But I have finish out my CFI training.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #16
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
i'll go ahead and guess you are no longer in a relationship
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
davidt443

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
i'll go ahead and guess you are no longer in a relationship
Negative. engaged.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #18
Bartacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt443 View Post
well, put it to you this way. by the time I have the computer built and running the simulator, if I start modding the sim where it overpowers the card. Ill have the money saved up to run 2 gtx 970's. Then it shouldn't be a problem from there. I also plan on getting into more pc gaming. But I have finish out my CFI training.
Keep in mind that adding a second 970 won't add more VRAM. You don't go up to 8GB. Everything in VRAM is duplicated, so what gets written to the VRAM on one card gets written to two.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:57 AM   #19
Krizzy TanG

My Ride: E90 and F30 diesel
Quote:
Not for gaming silly guy. You know nothing.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #20
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Only simulator I need.

SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote