E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
E46Fanatic Grocery Challenge

.....So I got to thinking tonight about the amount of money people spend on groceries, and asked myself, "What is the bare minimum of money required to purchase enough groceries to last a week AND allow for 3 meals a day?"

I started calculating how much I spend weekly on groceries excluding any fast food/leisure outings. The tally came to about $50 a week (...but that also includes junk such as Cap'n Crunch cereal, gummy bears, etc.); remember I'm a single guy. I wondered how much I'd save if I cut the junk off of the list and stuck to basic meats, veggies and fruits........thus, the challenge was born.

Fanatics, what do you think the bare minimums would be for a single person and a family of 4? I'm guessing that a single person could get by on $25-30 a week if we're talking a bare minimum figure; a family of 4 would probably be around $100 (..my inexperienced guesstimate). Have any of you ever dissected your grocery bill and asked yourself this same question or experimented to see what your minimum expenditures would be over a week's time? If not, would you be willing to try - for a week - to gather data? I'm extremely curious to see what the averages would be.

P.S. I spent $26.49 today at Ralph's (..$2.00 of that figure were for two, $1 packs of Haribo gummy bears ). My basket basically consisted of eggs, apples, ground beef, tortillas, turkey sausage, cheese, tomatoes, almond milk and yogurt. I already have a bunch of frozen chicken in the freezer, so I didn't need to buy meat.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-03-2014 at 02:35 AM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i

unfortunately I have been drinking to much this evening to wrap my mind around this..... but we spend a grip on groceries for a family of 4 ...... even if it is healthy, the "basic's" and in bulk to stretch it out ......

oh and 1st......

Last edited by cd330; 08-03-2014 at 03:06 AM.
cd330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:04 AM   #3
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
You can make a $5 Costco rotisserie chicken go a long way. Mix it up in some rice with cream of mushroom soup and bake it. Eat it plain with some veggies on the side. Shred it for some sloppy joe type burger goodness.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
330atx

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Groceries don't matter once you get Ebola.
330atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #5
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
As a single guy too, I've done the math! Whenever I am eating healthily (not often enough ) my grocery bill is anywhere between 35-55/week. Eat crap and it's never less than 60, and today it was 75! So, by being a lazy slob I double my food bill, shorten my time on this rock and have less dough for hookers and blow...

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Glad you made this thread. Groceries have gone way up. I spent $75 on 13 items at the grocery store the other week. It's absurd. My dollar has less buying power.

I need to go shopping today, I'll see what I can get away with for this week

Last edited by Zell; 08-03-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Zell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
.....So I got to thinking tonight about the amount of money people spend on groceries, and asked myself, "What is the bare minimum of money required to purchase enough groceries to last a week AND allow for 3 meals a day?"

I started calculating how much I spend weekly on groceries excluding any fast food/leisure outings. The tally came to about $50 a week (...but that also includes junk such as Cap'n Crunch cereal, gummy bears, etc.); remember I'm a single guy. I wondered how much I'd save if I cut the junk off of the list and stuck to basic meats, veggies and fruits........thus, the challenge was born.

Fanatics, what do you think the bare minimums would be for a single person and a family of 4? I'm guessing that a single person could get by on $25-30 a week if we're talking a bare minimum figure; a family of 4 would probably be around $100 (..my inexperienced guesstimate). Have any of you ever dissected your grocery bill and asked yourself this same question or experimented to see what your minimum expenditures would be over a week's time? If not, would you be willing to try - for a week - to gather data? I'm extremely curious to see what the averages would be.

P.S. I spent $26.49 today at Ralph's (..$2.00 of that figure were for two, $1 packs of Haribo gummy bears ). My basket basically consisted of eggs, apples, ground beef, tortillas, turkey sausage, cheese, tomatoes, almond milk and yogurt. I already have a bunch of frozen chicken in the freezer, so I didn't need to buy meat.
I don't think (for me) when I eat junk my bill goes up- it actually goes down. A healthy week consists of Kefir, greek yogurt, eggs, butcher fresh cheese, whole bean coffee, half and half, broccoli, whole wheat pasta, several kinds of sausage, some chicken, celery, apples, grapes, (other fruits and veggies), and peanut butter.

Unhealthy weeks sub some of those out for frozen cookies, more pasta and some cereal, bread (basically more carbs) and I believe it's cheeper. That said, I have not precisely kept track.

Last edited by Grande D; 08-03-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Glad you made this thread. Groceries have gone way up. I spent $75 on 13 items at the grocery store the other week. It's absurd. My dollar has less buying power.

I need to go shopping today, I'll see what I can get away with for this week
May I suggest an EBT card?

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
As a family of 4 (wife and two young daughters), with coupons and e-coupons and buying things on sale (10 loaves at once when BOGO), we still spend around $120-150 a week (around ~$500/month).

At the same time I do save 6% with my AMEX Blue Cash Preferred. Rack up so much savings with that damn card! For us, we figure we can still eat good name brand food as long as when it goes on sale we buy more than what we would need for the week (plan for months). Now, with fresh food that's obviously a week thing, can't buy Banana's in bulk!
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
i just stopped eating as much

my abs are lookin fab

i spend $500 a month on commuting gas , who the fack can eat anymore?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 08-03-2014 at 08:59 AM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I'm usually $250-300/month depending on how much beer/wine I buy. 90% of my meals are some variation of chicken and rice or pasta and I don't think I could do much better for the dollar without driving across town to an Aldi or Costco, but it isn't worth the time.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
May I suggest an EBT card?
How will I buy things from GasKing then
Old 08-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I really have no idea. Non-perishables we buy in bulk from Costco/BJs, same with meat. Meat we use the food saver and freeze it, so we usually buy about 20 pounds beef/pork/chicken breasts and just freeze it. Lasts quite a while. Fresh stuff we buy regularly, but we don't have a regular shopping list.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
Zell

^ +1

I got cleaning supplies and storage bags from Sams over a year ago, and finally I'm starting to run out. Buying dry goods in bulk saves so much in grocery costs. You just really need to think about the products you'll need for cleaning over the year.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
Getting into coupon apps and stuff, I have a 10% student discount and my girlfriend works for a grocery store and gets 10% off any store brand items I'm trying to get our grocery bill down to $50-75 for just me and her.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #16
haterdan

My Ride: 325xit
I spend like 220 a week between whole foods costco and onnit. that's for 2 people. but I like eating good food.
haterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
There was another thread on this a while ago. My wife and I spend ~$75 a month between the two of us after coupons. Before coupons it's double that. It's pretty staggering how much you can save by using coupons and shopping smart. It's just the two of us though.

Also there ain't nuttin to be 'shamed bout dem haribo bears.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 08-03-2014 at 06:12 PM.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #18
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Bit Random but I hated it last Christmas when Cheese went up for Christmas. It's hot now and the price never did come down. If it goes up for this Christmas I'll just install Linux (not buy cheese)
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #19
DNTHATE
E46Fanatic

Jesus, this is the third time a thread along these lines has been opened, I didn't mind the second one because someone promised a link for a coupon site, but they never delivered!!!!!! $35 a week single person.

DNTHATE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #20
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTHATE View Post
Jesus, this is the third time a thread along these lines has been opened, I didn't mind the second one because someone promised a link for a coupon site, but they never delivered!!!!!! $35 a week single person.

Link to the promised site is in the thread it was promised in. Peasant.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote