E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #61
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
I would not call BMW ride quality as a good ride. Your definition is subjective. OP should get what he wants as deemed acceptable to him.
The comfort quality is the best it will get from BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
Evidently, OP likes the ride of blown shocks.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #62
TwoDuckDad

My Ride: 2001 330xi jet black
[QUOTE=OrientBlau;12444632]If you're still on the original shocks at 100K, they are blown. I dont care what your mechanic says. The stock SACHS do not last this long. Period. I bet if you took out your rears, the shaft would not pull back out. Mine were blown inside of 50K.[/QUOTE

Told the 25+ year veteran BMW dealer mechanic what you said and his comment was "Hmmm, and he has personally inspected your car?" He said many BMWs go well beyond 100k miles on original, well working, shocks & struts. Test drove the car with me prior to doing any work over a couple different types of speed bumps, 20-40 mph banked curves, and on the interstate at 60-70 around 50mph curves. Said I would be wasting my money to replace shocks & struts. Since BMW recommends 4 wheel alignment annually he suggested waiting a year and checking the shocks & struts again before thowing money away.

We returned to the shop and they replaced the shot trailing arm bushings and performed a four wheel alignment. Drove 260 miles on the interstate through mountain passes, over hills, around curves pushing it to 70mph in a recommended 50mph curve and, guess what, it performed perfectly.

Tell you what OrientBlau - my money is (literally) on the mechanic who has 25+ years experience and personally inspected and test drove my car and declined to replace equipment that would make more money for his shop.

Stating absolutes is risky. Believing them is costly. Thanks for everyone's input...even the sarcastic...situation solved.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #63
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
Sachs is the best for his situation....thats what I am strongly considering after reading this article. I am very happy with the powerflex bushings for the perfect stiffness and control on the Crescent City roads, thatas plenty of harshness for me. I think this individual is very open to input and got a little confused no reason to bash...just assist as necessary.
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #64
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
yeah ...TWODUCK...go with Sachs for comfort and powerflex bushings...the best of both worlds and I can completely relate to your situation.
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #65
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDuckDad View Post
Tell you what OrientBlau - my money is (literally) on the mechanic who has 25+ years experience and personally inspected and test drove my car and declined to replace equipment that would make more money for his shop.
Hilarious. No way in H3LL your 100k plus shocks are not blown. Your 'mechanic' is wrong.

This coming from the guy who thinks 4wd and snow tires are not mandatory in the mountains (even when dictated by law enforcement), I'm not surprised.

Why you continue to ask questions on this forum is beyond me, you seem to have all the answers already.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 12-23-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #66
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
[QUOTE=TwoDuckDad;12460810]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
If you're still on the original shocks at 100K, they are blown. I dont care what your mechanic says. The stock SACHS do not last this long. Period. I bet if you took out your rears, the shaft would not pull back out. Mine were blown inside of 50K.[/QUOTE

Told the 25+ year veteran BMW dealer mechanic what you said and his comment was "Hmmm, and he has personally inspected your car?" He said many BMWs go well beyond 100k miles on original, well working, shocks & struts. Test drove the car with me prior to doing any work over a couple different types of speed bumps, 20-40 mph banked curves, and on the interstate at 60-70 around 50mph curves. Said I would be wasting my money to replace shocks & struts. Since BMW recommends 4 wheel alignment annually he suggested waiting a year and checking the shocks & struts again before thowing money away.

We returned to the shop and they replaced the shot trailing arm bushings and performed a four wheel alignment. Drove 260 miles on the interstate through mountain passes, over hills, around curves pushing it to 70mph in a recommended 50mph curve and, guess what, it performed perfectly.

Stating absolutes is risky. Believing them is costly. Thanks for everyone's input...even the sarcastic...situation solved.
You can't drive a car and tell, however you can drive it and shoot the shocks with an infered temp gun this will tell you if the oil and gas is breaking down.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote