E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
O2 Sensor issue after headers

This problem has been going on for about the last 2-3 weeks. I have ceramic coated headers with o2 sims that I bought from Anthony at Bimmerbrakes...

So here is what happened.

2 Weeks ago, I got a SES light, pulled codes and got
O2 SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT VOLTAGE TOO LOW
I reset the code, but it came back at next start up. Then couple days later I got
SECONDARY AIR INJECTION SYSTEM INSUFFICENT AIR
I reset that code aswell, and came back at next cold start when the secondary air pump tried to run. So then I got under the hood, and made sure my o2 sensor connections were secure, but I disconnected my heater wire and reconnected it any how. My secondary air pump valve had a busted off vaccumm line so that would explain that code.
After reconnecting wires, they did not come back for 3 days, then SES came back on, and this time it told me
O2 SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT VOLTAGE TOO HIGH
so I reset it, and the next day I got
O2 SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT VOLTAGE MALFUNCTION
...and I still have that code, so WTF is going on? Any one every had this issue? Also I purchased new o2 sensors when I setup my sims...
TrickTizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
I would check your voltage that is going back to the DME on the Heater Side. Also, forgot to tell everyone that incorrectly install the sims. Connecting the Sims to the Heater Wire instead of Signal wire of the o2. You Maybe have Damage the DME. I'm not 100% sure without a reading and testing from a GT1.

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
interesting issue i hope you figure it out.
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
I would check your voltage that is going back to the DME on the Heater Side. Also, forgot to tell everyone that incorrectly install the sims. Connecting the Sims to the Heater Wire instead of Signal wire of the o2. You Maybe have Damage the DME. I'm not 100% sure without a reading and testing from a GT1.

I'm pretty sure DME isn't damaged because the setup worked flawless for 2 to 3 weeks without any service engine soon light.

-TrippinBimmer

Sent from my MB200 using BimmerApp
Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
bump...no one has a clue?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
TrickTizzle

anyone?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
TrickTizzle

Bump

Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
I have the same problem with Anthony's O2 sims and so have others. Try different sims maybe?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post
I have the same problem with Anthony's O2 sims and so have others. Try different sims maybe?
Sim has nothing to do with the Heater part of the o2. Mine is running just fine...

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Sim has nothing to do with the Heater part of the o2. Mine is running just fine...

-TrippinBimmer
How do you check resistance from voltage meter?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
you set the voltmeter to the symbol Ω then you will measure resistance.

Here are a couple of things. the heater circuit is stock. Make sure that you that the white wires are connected to each other. The polarity doesnt matter, just make sure the white wires are connected. they have NOTHING to do with the sim. absolutly nothing to do with each other.

So once you make sure they are connected properly make sure that you wire the sim the way anthony tells you to. If you have any questions feel free to pm me as well. Taking pictures will also help. measure the voltage coming from the sim is between .3 and .5V.

Also in my opinion Anthony's sims work and o2sims.com sims dont work. the only other option would be to buy an adjustable one and fine tune it.

Last edited by mvrk10256; 11-08-2010 at 10:07 PM.
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
you set the voltmeter to the symbol Ω then you will measure resistance.

Here are a couple of things. the heater circuit is stock. Make sure that you that the white wires are connected to each other. The polarity doesnt matter, just make sure the white wires are connected. they have NOTHING to do with the sim. absolutly nothing to do with each other.

So once you make sure they are connected properly make sure that you wire the sim the way anthony tells you to. If you have any questions feel free to pm me as well. Taking pictures will also help. measure the voltage coming from the sim is between .3 and .5V.

Also in my opinion Anthony's sims work and o2sims.com sims dont work. the only other option would be to buy an adjustable one and fine tune it.
Right now I have a heater circuit issue, and when I measured the resistance it was 2.6 with the ignition on, once the car turned on it went all out of whack, etc.

I had another o2 sensor laying around and I just hooked it up with the harness/o2 sim. I think I should get only one code for o2 heater circuit malfunction versus getting two.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
mvrk10256

you can get 2 codes for the o2 heater circuit.

However you got 2.6 what? 2.6 ohms? or 2.6Kohms?2.6Mohms?

cause that makes a big difference. It is pretty difficult to mess that up since it just a resistor and two wires. the resistance across that wire should not change just cause the car is on so I think you are measuring the wrong thing....
Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
TrickTizzle

Quote:
you can get 2 codes for the o2 heater circuit.

However you got 2.6 what? 2.6 ohms? or 2.6Kohms?2.6Mohms?

cause that makes a big difference. It is pretty difficult to mess that up since it just a resistor and two wires. the resistance across that wire should not change just cause the car is on so I think you are measuring the wrong thing....
2.4ohms.
I think the o2 sensor heater circuit is on crack because I replaced one o2 sensor and hooked it up with the sims, and now I only get 1 code for my o2 sensor heater circuit.

What happened was that when I initially installed the o2 sensors I thought the white wires were the signal wires, so I cut those and had to re splice them. It ran fine for a month, but then I started to have problems and stuff.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I had o2 sims installed, but got similar codes to you. I have since installed an Innovate LC-1 (there is a thread on here detailing the procedure), but that still hasn't solved my SES light. I'm convinced the only solution is software removing the post-cat 02 sensors.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #16
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgrand View Post
I had o2 sims installed, but got similar codes to you. I have since installed an Innovate LC-1 (there is a thread on here detailing the procedure), but that still hasn't solved my SES light. I'm convinced the only solution is software removing the post-cat 02 sensors.
The software wont fix my issue. I have a heater circuit issue, and even if you get a tune the car will still look for the circuit. On the plus side I'm not getting emissions codes so the circuit issue is a easy fix.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #17
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
The software wont fix my issue. I have a heater circuit issue, and even if you get a tune the car will still look for the circuit. On the plus side I'm not getting emissions codes so the circuit issue is a easy fix.
I would suggest you speak to Anthony personally about the heater issue again. I know he runs heater circuit sims as well on his car. maybe he can hook you up so you dont need to buy new o2 sensors.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #18
JB_ZHP

My Ride: 05' ZHP Dinan 3
Quote:
Also in my opinion Anthony's sims work and o2sims.com sims dont work.
I have the o2sims.com product installed with no problems for 1 year now.

Tags
check engine, circuit, dme, o2 sensor, voltage