E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
srm5161

My Ride: 325xi
xi question

I have an 01 325xi 5 spd with 89k. When I shift normally there is almost like a banging sound when I push the clutch in, switch gears and its especially noticeable when i let the clutch out. The only time i dont hear it when shifting is when I'm real easy on the clutch. When I get on and off the gas I can also hear it. What could this be? Is there anything that I could replace or tweak to stop this?

I searched for this but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance
srm5161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Chibo

My Ride: Nothing
Check the body around where your rear subframe mounts for tears, otherwise it's probably the rearmost rear diff bushing or guibo.
2006 Suzuki GSXR750
Chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Benga01

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by srm5161 View Post
I have an 01 325xi 5 spd with 89k. When I shift normally there is almost like a banging sound when I push the clutch in, switch gears and its especially noticeable when i let the clutch out. The only time i dont hear it when shifting is when I'm real easy on the clutch. When I get on and off the gas I can also hear it. What could this be? Is there anything that I could replace or tweak to stop this?

I searched for this but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance
Have the same exact problem on 325xi now. Search didnt help me much either. Did you fix yours yet?
Benga01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Mine does that too. Don't be a baby and give it some gas! Shift above 2k and you won't hear the noise.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Remove the CDV and do a brake/clutch fluid flush.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
pjo33us

My Ride: 03 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Mine does that too. Don't be a baby and give it some gas! Shift above 2k and you won't hear the noise.
PLUS 1... It took me some time to get the clutch on this car... It runs and shifts better if you shift it at a higher rpm.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo33us View Post
PLUS 1... It took me some time to get the clutch on this car... It runs and shifts better if you shift it at a higher rpm.
She loves to get wrung out every so often, keeps the insides clean.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
pjo33us

My Ride: 03 330xi
It kind of reminds me of my GTV6... which was a double plate clutch mated to a transaxle. You pretty much had to rev the crap out of it and double clutch to go 1st to 2nd...
Old 11-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
Benga01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Remove the CDV and do a brake/clutch fluid flush.
Which fluid type do you suggest?
I had my car on the lift today in my friends garage and i was inside the car attempting to drive while he was under checking where the noise comes from. Its hard to say, he thinks its transfer case. We checked fluid level on back and front differentials, transfer case and gearbox. It all looks good, plenty of fluid and it doesnt look/smell burnt.
Anyway, will do the flush tomorrow.
I hope its cdv making this noise cause transfer case is not cheap at all. Do transfer cases have high failure rate on manual transmissions in our cars?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Zogg

My Ride: 04 325xi
while i certainly dont get any noise, im at 85K in the same car (cept its an 04) and i always shift above 2K anyway. it certainly does shift better at higher speeds
Zogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
Benga01

I shift above 2k anyway. My 330i shifts much smoother than this 325xi that we just bought. I am not afraid of being more aggresive, just want to make sure that nothing is broken before I step on it
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benga01 View Post
I had my car on the lift today in my friends garage and i was inside the car attempting to drive while he was under checking where the noise comes from. Its hard to say, he thinks its transfer case. We checked fluid level on back and front differentials, transfer case and gearbox. It all looks good, plenty of fluid and it doesnt look/smell burnt.
I hope its cdv making this noise cause transfer case is not cheap at all. Do transfer cases have high failure rate on manual transmissions in our cars?
Not that I'm aware of. I just know that there are many people, myself included, that have that same noise. If I give it a little extra go, the noise is gone. The CDV doesn't make any noise, it just controls the flow of fluid into/out of the clutch.

Either way, I don't think it's really an issue but just for kicks, go out and try to shift above 2k and see if you still get the noise. Be a little more aggressive on it, but don't be overly aggressive...

Any DOT4 brake fluid works fine. Try to get a different color from what you have in there now so you can tell when all the old fluid is out of the car. There are many DIYs around for doing this.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-04-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #13
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benga01 View Post
I use ate superblue for the brakes/clutch. Redline fluids for the driveline- 75w90 in the diffs, D4 in the TC, and a D4/MTL mix in the gearbox.

I would do all the fluids anyway and have a good look at the TC mount.

No the TC's don't have a high failure rate at your mileage.

Last edited by Kubica; 11-04-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote