Best bass solution that doesn't take up any trunk space? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Gmas

My Ride: '05 ZHP Coupe
Best bass solution that doesn't take up any trunk space?

So I bought a ZHP about a month+ ago and am now looking at upgrading the stock HK system in it. I care more about sound quality than thumping bass or it getting insanely loud, but that said, sometimes you like to turn it up a bit, and good clean bass is a big part of lots of music.

My problem is I'd REALLY prefer not to sacrifice any trunk space for a sub. As I said, I don't need subs that "pound", but I don't want to be left with something underwhelming either.

Are there any bass options that fit in the rear deck where the 6x9's are or that don't take up any (or EXTREMELY minimal) trunk space that will be "good enough"? And by that I mean maybe 85-90% as good as a true single sub box in the trunk.

Outside of that, I plan to use a really nice set of Focal components up front, keep the stock Business CD unit, and I have a JL 300/4 amp from my previous car. I'm open to buying whatever else is needed to make things sound great.

Thanks!
Gmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
If you want a really crisp bass note just bite the bullet and put a single 10" sub in a small box in the trunk. It doesn't take up too much space if you tuck it right up behind the back seat on either side. I tried the under seat woofers and just didn't get enough out of them. I went with a single Rockford Fosgate P3D4 10" with a 500watt mono amp and it can do anything I throw at it well, from rock, to Techno, it does it all pretty well which I like because I listen to a wide variety of music. A good low end setup brings a system to a whole new level and makes the listening experience much more dynamic giving you that feeling like you're at a live show with the bass notes kicking you in the chest. I'm not at all talking about that bumping crap because I hate that with a passion. I'm talking about crisp tight bass that is reproduced the way it was intended to be in the music I listen to.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #3
boltonic

My Ride: 2005 325cic
You can also take out the spare tire and put a sub in there. I have two jl 10w3s in there.
boltonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
nealfromnz

My Ride: 2002 e46
Ib sub mounted to fire through skipass is one way and there are some very trick small subs that perform well.
Another is a slim sub mounted in a shallow sub enclosure up against the back seat.

Managed to get a 1 cubic foot sub box in my trunk yet still get plenty of trunk space. Sub enclosure took quite a bit of modelling and thought.
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
I mounted a pair of TangBand 6.5" subs in the package shelf. I have an Alpine 250w RMS sub amp powering them. The amp is mounted on a piece of MDF hung from the underside of the package shelf. Nice bass reinforcement.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
Gmas

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'd prefer not to lose my spare tire, but I do like that idea. I'll look into a couple of the other recommendations as well to get a sense of how shallow a shallow sub enclosure can be.

In my E30, I had a standard square-ish sub box in the trunk and it made putting anything remotely large back there a real PITA. Granted an E30's trunk is smaller, but my hockey bag, golf clubs, or anything like that needed to go in the back seat. Just don't want to have headaches like that again due to a sub.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
eeeks

My Ride: 03 325iA Sportwagen
I have seen 4 6.5 subs in a very small enclosure mounted to the rear shelf. While they will probably do better with a ported or TL... The tang bands can use a very small enclosure.

In my e36 days I used to have Jl audio stealth boxes on my rear deck with the amp mounted between. No trunk floor obstruction... Cleared my rear strut brace nicely. You might be able to do something similar

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
eeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #8
nealfromnz

My Ride: 2002 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmas View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'd prefer not to lose my spare tire, but I do like that idea. I'll look into a couple of the other recommendations as well to get a sense of how shallow a shallow sub enclosure can be.

In my E30, I had a standard square-ish sub box in the trunk and it made putting anything remotely large back there a real PITA. Granted an E30's trunk is smaller, but my hockey bag, golf clubs, or anything like that needed to go in the back seat. Just don't want to have headaches like that again due to a sub.
Here's my 1 cubic foot sub box. If I'd used shallow sub. Still plenty of sideways room and the box could be smaller again if using shallow mount sub.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/y...psskvnpyug.jpg
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
Gmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealfromnz View Post
Here's my 1 cubic foot sub box. If I'd used shallow sub. Still plenty of sideways room and the box could be smaller again if using shallow mount sub.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/y...psskvnpyug.jpg
That doesn't intrude into the trunk too much at all....nice.

Thank you to everyone for the responses...gave me a bit of direction as far as some things to look into. Seems like the consensus is I likely wouldn't be totally happy with the sound without a true sub. t came across a line of JL Audio subs that are very shallow mount (TW series). Ironically, the bigger, more expensive versions have a shallower mounting depth (of course), but am going to look into those if they'd do the trick. Depth on the JL website is something like 2.65"....crazy. Some people have even mentioned being able to mount those under the seats in some cars.

Anyway, thank you again....will update once I decide on something and provide a review in case others are in the same boat.

Last edited by Gmas; 06-09-2017 at 09:43 PM.