E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #161
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Congrats!

EDIT: I'm also jealous of the fast turnaround time. I had to wait until Thanksgiving for results.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #162
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
I passed the bar in NC.

Glad too because otherwise the partners would have been a LITTLE upset.
congrats.

if i find out i failed when i get my results back in november, it's gonna freakin ruin my thanksgiving
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #163
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler12345 View Post
4. Northwestern
5. irrelevant

one of my friends went to Northwestern for his tax LLM and now works at big4 (although it is definitely not worth the payoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #164
stapler12345

pure comedy

http://lawlemmings.tumblr.com/

Quote:
Old 03-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #165
stapler12345

Quote:
Old 05-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #166
stapler12345

Why Brooklyn Law cut its tuition
April 15, 2014
The law school recently cut its sticker price by 15%. Dean Nicholas Allard explains the school's rationale.

Quote:
When Brooklyn Law School announced earlier this month that it would cut tuition by 15%, it sounded less like a briefing and more like a battle cry.

"It's not just the 15% that we're reducing here," Brooklyn Law Dean Nicholas Allard says of the cut, which will go into effect in the 2015-2016 academic year. "It's encouraging law schools everywhere to do what they can—and they're not all going to do it the same way—to make sure that every person in America who is qualified and motivated to become a lawyer is able to do so without regard to their economic background."

This measure isn't Brooklyn Law's first crack at the law school affordability problem. Last year, the school froze 2014 tuition at 2013 levels; tuition is currently $53,850. "I can tell you that our 15% reduction still leaves law school expensive, so it's not in and of itself a solution, and I recognize that," Allard says. "But we are committed to doing what we can to continue to work to make law school more affordable."

The dean doesn't shy away from the uglier realities of the legal world. "Who can afford to go to law school?" he asks. "Who can afford to hire a lawyer? Unfortunately, the answer to that question is that most Americans cannot afford it. And that's wrong."

A handful of other schools have cut tuition as well. The most prestigious school in this group is the University of Iowa, which reduced tuition by 16.4%. Others include the University of Arizona (11% in-state, 8% out-of-state) and Roger Williams University (18%). A few schools have really gone all out: Penn State cut tuition by nearly 50% for in-state students in the class of 2014, and the University of La Verne reduced tuition from $39,500 to $25,000 and completely did away with merit aid. (It's worth mentioning that the American Bar Association revoked La Verne's provisional accreditation in 2011; the school has since earned it back.)

Generally, though, law schools don't do much to level the economic playing field. In January, the American Bar Association Task Force on the Future of Legal Education found that "a widespread practice is to announce nominal tuition rates, and then pursue certain high LSAT or GPA students by offering substantial discounts (styled as scholarships) without regard to the recipient's financial need."

Meanwhile, most other students have to borrow heavily to get through school. A recent Forbes article summed up the problem as follows: "merit scholarship recipients tend to be from tonier zip codes and of paler hues." In plainer words, less advantaged students wind up subsidizing their more advantaged peers. The average debt load for law school graduates was $100,584 as of 2012.

Allard wants to see all graduates have the opportunity to aim for more than debt repayment. When people finish law school with tens of thousands of dollars in student debt, "they're not able to pursue jobs where they're most needed in law, perhaps providing affordable, quality services to individuals who don't have high net worth—or to small businesses," he says. "It means that they're not free, really, to follow their passion and pursue work in areas where they're most talented. So it's a big deal."

Christopher LoGalbo, a Brooklyn Law graduate who now works in finance, switched paths because of debt. He's happy where he is, and he doesn't regret earning a JD—" it's a very, very nice differentiator" in his field, he says—but he expected law school to lead him to a different kind of career. "Going in, I thought I wanted to be a litigator," he says. "I was really passionate about the law. I was passionate about being able to fight for people's rights and having the ability to really have an impact on people's lives." But soon enough, reality hit. "I realized that with $200,000 of student loans, it wouldn't be possible for me to live the life that I wanted to lead and work a job like that in the public sector," he says.

That's the kind of outcome Allard wants to avoid. "Now, people may look down their nose at us for how we're doing it and why we're doing it, but if they keep looking down their nose at us, they are not going to see the big cliff ahead that they're about ... to walk off of," he says.

Allard believes part of the problem stems from law schools' dependence on U.S. News' rankings, which heavily rewards institutions that admit students with high GPAs and LSAT scores. "What law schools are doing is, they are taking students' money and spending it to prop up these artificial rankings in a failed so-called news magazine," he says. If the rankings weren't so prominent, it's possible that law schools wouldn't prioritize merit scholarships over need-based aid. "That is a model that's not only bad business—it's bad education," Allard continues. "You're spending money on the fool's errand of propping up rankings rather than investing in education and investing in your students by reducing their tuition costs."

Of course, the school isn't getting rid of merit scholarships altogether. In fact, along with the 15% cut, Brooklyn Law put the spotlight on a new scholarship for students with high college GPAs. However, it is increasing need-based aid and expanding its loan repayment program for graduates who take public sector jobs and other lower-income positions.

Brooklyn Law's measures have even impressed one of the legal academy's most prominent critics: Brian Tamanaha, author of Failing Law Schools and a law professor at Washington University in St. Louis. "I really admire what they're doing," he told The New York Times. "If we all did this, it would be so much better than the current situation. Everyone is fighting for their own economic survival."

It's hard to say how long the cut will last. Brooklyn Law has made it work by soliciting alumni donations, selling off unneeded real estate, implementing a voluntary staff retirement program, and doing away with smaller things like marketing brochures. The school will need to continue to maintain a strong economic position to support the tuition cuts. "Stay tuned," Allard says confidently. "You know, we've done a lot here in just 18 months. We hope to do a lot more."
first comment made me laugh hard
Quote:
Very generous of them to go 15% down to $53,850
fvcking law schools knew they were overpricing and when they finally bend to supply/demand of the market, they use the reason that law school scam bloggers been saying for 5 years or more

Quote:
Old 08-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #167
stapler12345

Cooley law school is no more.

Cooley Law School changes name, fires a lot of its faculty and staff
http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/...staff#comments

Quote:
Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #168
Mike Larry

i'm taking the california bar exam next february.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #169
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
no "School Mike Larry on the CA Bar exam" thread yet?

disappoint I am
Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #170
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
Quote:
What type of law do you want to practice?

I've got a bunch of friends in the "corporate" world working 80+ hours a week, making bank with no life. Then, 1 guy that's doing matrimonial law and KILLING it with far less amount of hours. I should have been a lawyer or surgeon.
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #171
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post

I've got a bunch of friends in the "corporate" world working 80+ hours a week, making bank with no life. Then, 1 guy that's doing matrimonial law and KILLING it with far less amount of hours. I should have been a lawyer or surgeon.
What is "matrimonial law"?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #172
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
What is "matrimonial law"?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #173
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I've just never heard it called that before. Apparently that's the term they use in New York (and maybe other states back east?).

Anyway, call it what it is: divorce law.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #174
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post

patent law
Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #175
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
patent law
Is that in high demand? When I started my current job, a colleague of mine packed his family up, left work, and went back to UVA law to become a patent lawyer.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #176
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Is that in high demand? When I started my current job, a colleague of mine packed his family up, left work, and went back to UVA law to become a patent lawyer.
you'll still have a better shot at employment than other law students if you have a technical background that makes you eligible for the patent bar, but it's no longer the treasure trove that it used to be. the secret's pretty much out nowadays
Old 08-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #177
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
I've just never heard it called that before. Apparently that's the term they use in New York (and maybe other states back east?).

Hah yeah here it's matrimonial, even the courts use it. I wasn't sure what you were getting before, now it makes sense.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #178
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:

its family law down here.

Divorce makes it seem too negative, lets be touchy feely guys.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #179
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
its family law down here.

Divorce makes it seem too negative, lets be touchy feely guys.
Family law is the preferred term around here as well. It's only slightly less misleading than matrimonial law.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #180
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Family law is the preferred term around here as well. It's only slightly less misleading than matrimonial law.
For some reason in NY we have matrimonial judges in the regular supreme court, and we also have family court. I assume that's mostly for custody-type stuff, but I've never touched that part of the law.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote