E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
IndyCar adopting F1 Style Qualifying?

Quote:
INDYCAR MODIFIES INDIANAPOLIS 500 SCHEDULE, QUALIFYING FORMAT

INDIANAPOLIS (Monday, April 14, 2014) – INDYCAR announced today an addition to the practice schedule and further definition of the qualification format for next month’s 98th Running of the Indianapolis 500. The schedule change features an extra day of on-track activity with the addition of a Verizon IndyCar Series practice session on Monday, May 19.

In March, INDYCAR announced an enhanced qualification format to increase the excitement level and on-track action during qualifications. The weekend will culminate on Sunday, May 18th with the Fast Nine Shootout, which will determine the coveted Indianapolis 500 pole position and the recipient of the Verizon P1 Award.

The practice session on May 19th will be held from 12-5p.m. (EST) and the extra day of on-track action will be open to the public like any other practice day during May.

“On Sunday teams will be completely focused on qualifying, so we added another practice session to give them a sufficient amount of time to test their race setups,” said Derrick Walker, INDYCAR President of Competition and Operations. “Previously a majority of teams have utilized most of Sunday for full-tank running, so it was important for us to continue to give them that opportunity after qualifications are complete.”

“The addition of a post-qualifying practice will be beneficial to the teams as they prepare for the Indianapolis 500, and will also be an exciting, action-packed afternoon of track activity for fans,” said Indianapolis Motor Speedway President J. Douglas Boles. “We are also thankful to the many staff, businesses and the local law enforcement community for the cooperation in adding another new element to the Indianapolis 500 activities.”

INDYCAR also confirmed an update to the qualification format that allows a competitor that suffers a hardship in qualifying at the conclusion of Saturday, May 17th an opportunity to make the starting field during Sunday qualifications. This revision would also permit teams that want to bring new entries forward after qualifying on Saturday an opportunity to compete for a position in the race. In both cases, these teams would be restricted to the last row of the field.

“As our qualifying format evolves we continue to evaluate what is best for the competitors,” Walker explained. “We realized the need to provide teams that suffer an unexpected hardship on Saturday a second chance to make the Indianapolis 500. The changes apply primarily for cars that crash or suffer a mechanical failure during their Saturday qualifying run. Ultimately, we will capture the fastest 33 cars and that’s who will make the race.”

At the conclusion of Saturday’s qualifications, positions 31-33 will be provisional and those cars, plus any entry not already in the field that has declared its intention to qualify to INDYCAR prior to 7 p.m. (EST) on Saturday – will participate in a separate qualification session on Sunday to determine the 11th row on the grid.

Sunday’s qualifying will include three separate group sessions:
Group One (10:15-12:15 p.m. EST) – Determines starting positions 10-30;
Group Two (12:45-1:30 p.m. EST) – Determines positions 31-33; and
The Fast Nine Shootout (2:00-2:45 p.m. EST) – Determines the Verizon P1 Award winner and first three rows of the race.
Fans will be able to track their favorite drivers’ progress as they attempt to qualify for “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” with ABC’s extensive coverage. The network will televise qualifications live from 4-6 p.m. (ET) Saturday, May 17, and 1-3 p.m. (ET) Sunday, May 18, in addition to the 98th Running of the Indianapolis 500, marking its 50th consecutive year of coverage of the race. Additional hours of qualifying will be carried on ESPN3, ESPN’s multi-screen live sports network, with the full schedule to be announced at a later date.
http://www.racemsm.com/?p=3898

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback.
Mods To Come: Stage 1+ APR Chip, 18" Lambo reps, OBX headers.
BimmerIsMyName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Whoa, better save those sticker reds

So tired of Indy car, snooze-fests.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
BimmerIsMyName

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
Whoa, better save those sticker reds

So tired of Indy car, snooze-fests.
Yesterday's race at Long Beach was anything but a snooze fest. Good racing the entire race.

Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
any good sources to watch the races online? I've been trying to get into Indy Cars again but can't seem to find a good torrent/streaming site
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
dvsntt

My Ride: 01 325xi
There are sometimes live streams of the races on youtube. Just search the racename and year (indycar long beach 2014) the day before and you should find them. Here is a recording of the long beach race,

some very amateur racing that weekend, Ryan Hunter-Reay's incident was entirely unnecessary and his fault. He could have won the race, just had to drive like a professional and not like a dive-bombing video-game racer.
dvsntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
awesome, thanks!!
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
BimmerIsMyName

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsntt View Post
There are sometimes live streams of the races on youtube. Just search the racename and year (indycar long beach 2014) the day before and you should find them. Here is a recording of the long beach race,

some very amateur racing that weekend, Ryan Hunter-Reay's incident was entirely unnecessary and his fault. He could have won the race, just had to drive like a professional and not like a dive-bombing video-game racer.
You could also place partial blame on Newgarden as well. Cold tires vs warm tires of Raey. Newgarden should've known Raey would try something. I see blame on both parts, not just 1

Old 04-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
dvsntt

My Ride: 01 325xi
I don't entirely disagree, but I do believe more blame is on Raey for the incident. That wasn't a very plausible passing zone. Newgarden knew he couldn't hold him off but you still drive the racing line if you are in the lead (in particular if you are in the lead), Raey was nowhere near half-way up the car when he dive-bombed the rear of Newgarden. I'm sure he anticipated the overtake, just not through the inside of corner 4 while he was rightfully on the racing line.
dvsntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
long beach is usually good, but that is because it is a damn fine circuit IMO