E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #221
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
Wow! what a quick response! And, I see, you aren't even working as an adjuster any more.

Thank you much.
it's a Sunday, I'm sitting here waiting for football to begin
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #222
Boosted_ZHP

My Ride: 88 325
Send a message via AIM to Boosted_ZHP
What did you like, and dislike about the job? I just interviewed for a claims adjuster position for Progressive and have recently applied to Geico.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #223
NOVAbimmer

I liked the people I worked with, both other adjusters and the shop people (for the most part). And I definitely learned a lot there.

Our area here is extremely busy, and is one of the busiest regions in the country when looking at density of adjusters and density of claims. I worked extremely long hours (days were no less than ten hours), and had generally a two hour drive home in the evening. If we took just one or two days off, they generally wouldn't provide coverage from another adjuster, you'd just have to catch up when you got back. One day off would usually require a week to recover from.

Honestly, if I had the option, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do it again.

Good luck though. It's a tough job.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #224
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_ZHP View Post
What did you like, and dislike about the job? I just interviewed for a claims adjuster position for Progressive and have recently applied to Geico.
I started my insurance career in claims, i'm not going to lie, its a "volume" type job. Keeping your head above water is usually the goal. People are usually upset/mad after an accident as well.

That said, I think it's a great industry to work in. There are many paths you can take after you get in the door (typically as a claims adjuster). My advice is if you take the job, bust your A$$ and do the best job you can. Claims specifically has a high turnover rate, so it's easy to "shine" and open doors for yourself. I left claims after only about a year and doors have opened for me since. Many of your co-workers in claims will be negative and want out.

Claims will open doors to management if you do well. I choose to go to underwriting, and then to sales. In only a few years, I've held jobs in the 3 major areas (claims, underwriting, sales) which I hope will allow me to pursue major leadership roles in the future.

I would also add that this business can be very lucrative (especially in sales). Many agents for all carriers will make doctor/lawyer money or more.

If you have any other questions let me know!

Last edited by wrighterjw10; 10-08-2012 at 10:30 AM.
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #225
rocketpants

My Ride: 2010 Acura TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
I started my insurance career in claims, i'm not going to lie, its a "volume" type job. Keeping your head above water is usually the goal. People are usually upset/mad after an accident as well.

That said, I think it's a great industry to work in. There are many paths you can take after you get in the door (typically as a claims adjuster). My advice is if you take the job, bust your A$$ and do the best job you can. Claims specifically has a high turnover rate, so it's easy to "shine" and open doors for yourself. I left claims after only about a year and doors have opened for me since. Many of your co-workers in claims will be negative and want out.

Claims will open doors to management if you do well. I choose to go to underwriting, and then to sales. In only a few years, I've held jobs in the 3 major areas (claims, underwriting, sales) which I hope will allow me to pursue major leadership roles in the future.

I would also add that this business can be very lucrative (especially in sales). Many agents for all carriers will make doctor/lawyer money or more.

If you have any other questions let me know!
Currently an adjuster, going on 1.5 years and I'm about 1/2 way done with getting my AIC. I've been thinking about underwriting for quite some time now. What would you say is the hardest transition from claims to u/w?
rocketpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #226
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpants View Post
Currently an adjuster, going on 1.5 years and I'm about 1/2 way done with getting my AIC. I've been thinking about underwriting for quite some time now. What would you say is the hardest transition from claims to u/w?
It depends, many carriers split commercial and personal lines.

Personal lines is generally very black and white, I would call a lot of their work "processing". A car is a car, a home is a home. In the companies i've worked for, their world is pretty strait forward with few exceptions.

Commercial lines is very different. It requires more analysis, and can be very complex. Agents will lean on you heavily for your expertise, much more than personal lines.

I was a commercial underwriter. It was A LOT of learning, and honestly took about 2 years before I felt I had a serious grasp on things. It was a great job, you build a really good rapport with the agents that write commercial (generally the better agents for more P&C carriers).

As far as the transition, it was 100% the best move i've ever made. for many reasons. commercial underwriting allowed me to get in the field, which exposed me to sales. claims to underwriting to sales was the perfect path for me, with each building on top of the next. now that i'm in sales, i have claims and underwriting experience, which i feel adds value.

feel free to PM me if you want, i'd be more than happy to share my experiences and failures. insurance has been a great career for me, and iat first all i wanted to do was get out of it. ultimately sticking it out worked out very well.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #227
TechieTechie

My Ride: 05 M3,04 z4, 01 325t
Guys....

Can I ask some specific questions on negotiating the value of the car? I hit another vehicle that pulled out into oncoming traffic (they had a stopsign) and from my mechanic's first glance, we are likely looking at $4-$6k in damages. Mine is a 2001 325T with manual, sport, luxury, xenons and navigation with 140k. It's spent its whole life in Cali 'til I brought it back to New England this spring, I have every record on this thing since new, it's been in no accidents thus far, and I've spend $4k on making it pristine (new diff/subframe/engine/tranny bushings, rear subframe reinforcement (there was a tiny tear), rogue RSMs, guibo, center support bearing, all new PS hoses, the works). I have Progressive, at-fault guy has Commerce. MA is a no fault state (with a $2k limit)

So, my questions to nova/rocket, et al....

1. I have pulled comps. 2 in this area, 3 more from thruout the country, since comps (with a sport manual) are so hard to come by. Most of them are for 2003 with less mileage (around 110k), since I can't find sports and lux packages anywhere (and lux is full leather, so it's important IMHO). Is this close enough to be considered comps?

2. Also, does being a Cali car inpact its value when the car resides in the NE? There is not one spec of salt or rust on this puppy.

3. When do I present the comps? At the initial meeting with the adjustor, or when they come back with their first offer?

4. When do they consider all the money I've put into the car...during the valuation of the car to deterimine value...or during salvage payout?

5. My car is at my indie mechanic (who specializes in high end BMW) shop and the adjuster is coming Monday. Is it in my best interest to be there? Or is there a better, more honest exchange of information between adjustor and mechanic?

6. Finally, with Progressive (or any other online company) how does it work between the adjustor and the guy who is my customer service rep? Who makes the ultimate decision about my vehicle?

Thanks so much!!!!

Sad Jen

Last edited by TechieTechie; 10-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.
TechieTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #228
NOVAbimmer

Wait for them to actually declare the car a total. For valuation purposes, they're probably not going to be too concerned with finding a specific set of options for a comp. More important is finding a similar year/make/model/mileage, and then adjusting for options from there.

Give the adjuster all the information at first. You're just going to piss him/her off if you hold information that you have back. They want to get this settle just as much as you do, and if you keep information from them, you'll just be slowing down the process.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #229
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Guys....

Can I ask some specific questions on negotiating the value of the car?
[...]
Sad Jen

Well, how did it work out?
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #230
TechieTechie

My Ride: 05 M3,04 z4, 01 325t
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Wait for them to actually declare the car a total. For valuation purposes, they're probably not going to be too concerned with finding a specific set of options for a comp. More important is finding a similar year/make/model/mileage, and then adjusting for options from there.

Give the adjuster all the information at first. You're just going to piss him/her off if you hold information that you have back. They want to get this settle just as much as you do, and if you keep information from them, you'll just be slowing down the process.
Mike, thank you SO much for all your help. It worked out well.

Long story:

I gave the guy doing the repair estimate all my comps up front.

Car estimator came back with all local, but auto comps valued @$8.5k. I said I'd take it home and consider it. I then waited a few days and called my adjuster (paraphrasing) that the initial offer was a good start, but autos aren't valued the same on an open market as a manual. Asked them to reconsider, and gave the adjuster my comps and an excel spreadsheet with formulas mimicing the insurance company's valuation (to account for options, etc). My average of 3 manual comps was $11.8, including 1 from VT, 1 each from MN, WA, and VT. WA and VT were the only 2 current sales I could find, MN was one just sold here on e46Fanatics.

They came back with a settlement averaging mine and theirs at basically $10k, because they needed to have local comps. Again, I gently pushed back. I asked where in my policy said the car valuation was based upon local vehicles....and asked them to revalue with all manuals, happy to be patient. At that point, he started to get frustrated, and he asked me what my bottom line was, and I said $10k payout + the car ($11.7)...he didn't like that answer, "that value is more than NADA blue book", etc. I asked him to please go back one more time and grab manual comparisons and from there, we could agree upon a final settlement.

They had a 'special' valuation done...still pulling automatics, but basically gave me an extra $2k for rarity. Bottom line, my car was valued by the insurance company @ $11.8k (same as I paid for the car in Feb), with a $1.6k buyback option. Sold, I said! (figured I could recoup the $4k in mods/maintenance I've done with the sale of the car).

My check for $10.2k arrived today...and now I am very seriously considering rebuilding the car (instead selling it).

Thanks again for everyone's help. Bottom line, have a calm, fact based, argument, and be willing to be patient.

Last edited by TechieTechie; 11-09-2012 at 07:07 PM.
TechieTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #231
NOVAbimmer

Glad it worked out for you
Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #232
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
That's great news. Facts + patience (sounds like you had lots of that). My favorite line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
At that point, he started to get frustrated, and he asked me what my bottom line was
You must've been pretty persistent!
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #233
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
So the insurance is offering me 1400 for salvage but if I take it they would deduct that value from the offering price of 8600 and take away the sales tax as well. Does that sound right? It seems weird to me that I am pretty much losing closer to 2000 for buying back my car instead of the salvage value they had offered me in the first place.

Last edited by tnhl1989; 12-02-2012 at 02:06 PM.
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #234
ngillan

My Ride: Is Blacked Out
NOVA, I live in Virginia and I have never had a state inspection done on my car nor do I ever plan to. What impact would this have on a claim if any?

'02 325ci
Smoked Turn Signals, Tail Lights, and Side Markers, 17"CSL Replicas, Plasti-Dip Grille and Reflectors, Carbon Fiber Wrapped Pillars
Replaced Water Pump, Expansion Tank, Power Steering Pump, Drivebelt Pully, ABS Control Module, Passenger Window Regulator, VCG

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'95 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
'98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'99 Cadillac STS
ngillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #235
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngillan View Post
NOVA, I live in Virginia and I have never had a state inspection done on my car nor do I ever plan to. What impact would this have on a claim if any?
No idea, I'd never asked to see anybody's inspection.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #236
Treburkulosis

My Ride: BMW
Ok someone please explain why my future father in law got his bible college, and house dropped after 6 years of paying in. A tornado hit my town, it was 1 block away. His company " Allstate" cancelled them this renewal period over it. They just needed the roof replaced and that was all. I deal with this crap daily as I am a roofer. Our company is 62 years old. I've battled a adjusters on this. He paid for everything except for a 3 foot wide by 50 foot at the longest walk way. It was blown up from the winds. I know how this crap happens, and the insurance is in the business of making money, but this is messed up. Now we are scrambling to get the college and the house covered. This is not just isolated to one company, this is every company. I am left telling him, that Ill help him get covered by my agent. Its total BS. I watched the tornado pass over my house. I had to replace my roof same company with no issues, minus a adjuster saying there was no damage. It was replaced. I don't understand why a lesser job is ok, and a more expensive job warrants cancellation.
Treburkulosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #237
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
^^ you're picking a fight with the wrong adjuster, unless you're talking about a mobile home. LOL
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #238
NOVAbimmer

He's right. I did auto only. I'm not sure I've even seen any home adjusters check in here.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #239
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
He's right. I did auto only. I'm not sure I've even seen any home adjusters check in here.
Well, mobile homes are known to attract tornadoes... given his location, it's very possible.
If a mobile home has wheels, would it be considered auto?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #240
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Well, mobile homes are known to attract tornadoes... given his location, it's very possible.
If a mobile home has wheels, would it be considered auto?
In VA/MD/DC at least, mobile homes are covered under a similar family of policies to your Family Auto Policy, but cannot be added to an auto policy. The same kind of policies that cover things like boats, motorcycles, ATVs, etc.