E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #261
Cengawer

My Ride: 325ci Convertible
You think I would be able to tell the adjuster the price for a new mtech2 bumper? I got scuffs and a crack on my rear bumper due to a rear-end accident. I had a body shop check it out already and he said the reinforcement bar is bent also. Do I tell all that to an adjuster that or let him do things his own way? I'm actually going to see him tomorrow.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Bimmer App
Cengawer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #262
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Let him do things. With scuffs and scrapes, a bent rebar is a wild guess aimed at getting you to pay more money.

The insurance company will replace your bumper with what is on the car, and it will most likely be a quote for an aftermarket bumper.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #263
slowride

My Ride: 2000 3231
Bottom line -if injured, ALWAYS file LAWSUIT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Alright, so I'm getting tired of reading threads about accidents and then seeing thirty posts about how OP should call a lawyer because the insurance company is trying to screw him. So here goes. If you have any questions about an accident that you want to go through insurance, I will try to help as much as possible. If you have questions about rates, discounts, etc, I can't help with those.

I've worked for an insurance company for several years now. I work(ed) in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC, but I may be able to answer questions outside of there as well.

Couple ground rules:

1. I will not write an estimate for you here. Don't post pictures and ask how much it's going to cost. People that give guesses on here are doing just that, giving guesses. They don't have a parts manual, an updated LKQ directory, or a chance to examine the car in person. They also don't have a shop that can tear down the car for a full estimate.

2. Remember that insurance companies operate with the law in your state. Insurance companies are not trying to screw you, they are doing what is allowable by your state's laws. Have a problem? Write the state senate. You can go to any number of companies to buy the exact same product. For most companies, the price will be more or less the same. Where insurance companies make money is by keeping customers. So no, we're not out to screw you. The exact opposite, in fact. I've bent over backwards to help a$$hat customers and do more for them than I should more often than I've actively worked to screw somebody.

3. I cannot give you rate quotes, or answer questions about why your rates are higher than somebody elses. I'm an adjuster. I write estimates and settle claims. If you have a question about your rates, call your insurance company and ask to speak to the Underwriting department.

Want to share accident stories? Ask for advice in a certain situation dealing with an accident? Go ahead. If you're looking for a sympathetic ear about how XYZ Insurance company screwed you out of $25 dollars because there was another car in Western Zambezi that had a slightly higher selling price than what they gave you for your total, then GTFO.

k. GO
Bttom line is if injured, ALWAYS FILE A LAWSUIT. The average person is NOT capable of being rewarded all that s/he has paid for. ALWAYS buy upgraded policy. It WILL pay off if injured.
slowride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #264
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Btw I have USAA

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #265
Cengawer

My Ride: 325ci Convertible
Quote:
Let him do things. With scuffs and scrapes, a bent rebar is a wild guess aimed at getting you to pay more money.

The insurance company will replace your bumper with what is on the car, and it will most likely be a quote for an aftermarket bumper.
Thanks for the info

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Bimmer App
Cengawer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #266
SuperFan86

My Ride: 2003 325i
The last 7 days have been hell on my car. I've had to file a claim with my own insurance company and need some help on what to expect.

Last week I blew a tire that shredded and did damage to my rear quarter panel and bottom trim piece. That is claim number 1 on my comprehensive coverage. 2 days ago I was driving home and had a road rager decimate the side of my car by spraying rocks all over it. The entire passenger side (same as the blown tire side) is covered in dents and nicks ranging from the size from about 1mm to 1/4 inch. Their are some chips and scratches on my hood, windshield, both side windows, trunk, roof, and all the panels on the side of my car.

My comprehensive coverage does apply to both of these incidents and will pay for repairs after the deductible. My questions are:

How bad does the damage have to be before they will replace my windows? Their are a few nicks in side side windows that I can see, but they have not compromised the window's integrity. The windshield will be replaced as it has a large crack. SC has 100% coverage for glass breakage.

Does the glass being replaced count towards my deductible or anything if it is 100% covered by my policy?

Are they going to only repaint 1 side of my car or does damage that extensive warrant for a full respray?

I have 2 different incidents of damage. Does that factor into anything, or if I get them repaired at the same time is that better/worse in any way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.

Last edited by SuperFan86; 05-28-2013 at 10:22 AM.
SuperFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #267
tpratt2

My Ride: 2002 bmw 325i sport
Maybe this has already been asked, but I was told by a previous user of a supercharger that he did not report it to his insurance company, and that you dont even need to unless you want it covered. I thought you had to report anything part that did not come on the car? Wouldnt they want to charge me more for having it and claim insurance fraud if they found out about it?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #268
TechieTechie

My Ride: 05 M3,04 z4, 01 325t
Mike, I just wanted to reiterate my thank you for helping me save my 2001 AW manual sport touring late last fall from the wrecking ball. It took a lot longer than we thought to get it pieced back together (because of no garage, the sheer volume of parts needed and my perfectionist tendencies)....but last week it became a legally registered, clear titled, hauling machine once again. And it looks and drives exactly the same as before. Without this thread, my car would have been sold for scrap metal. Thanks again for saving my baby! Jen
Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #269
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
I'm shopping around for insurance on my new (to me) 4runner. I got quick liability insurance from Allstate just to be able to close to deal, but now I need something better, but still pretty basic. I found comprehensive insurance from Progressive for less than what I pay Allstate for liability. Should I have any reservations about completing everything online?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #270
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I'm shopping around for insurance on my new (to me) 4runner. I got quick liability insurance from Allstate just to be able to close to deal, but now I need something better, but still pretty basic. I found comprehensive insurance from Progressive for less than what I pay Allstate for liability. Should I have any reservations about completing everything online?
Probably not. I'd hit all the majors, GEICO, Progressive, Allstate, Farmers, State Farm, etc.

I've never had an issue sealing the deal online. If there's anything you don't understand, though, it's probably a good idea to call them for clarification.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #271
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
I'd hit all the majors, GEICO, Progressive, Allstate, Farmers, State Farm, etc.
And some of the smaller companies, too. If you have an affiliation somewhere, it might help. Amazing thing is that there can be a difference of hundreds of dollars a year between identical policies. And those companies that advertise lots of discounts often have rather high base rates, so you need to be aware of all the discounts for which you may be qualified before getting the smallest bottom line.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #272
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
How do adjusters take to house calls exactly? Are you guys more likely to make a lower a quote if you have to come to the viechle at a private residence instead of the other way around?
ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #273
phubar

My Ride: 335is, HD
Wife's suv got hit by another vehicle while filling up at the gas station, its a fairly new suv with no prior damage. The damage is about a 6"x2" scratch about 3/32" deep in a 1" area, very small but penetrated past the bumper some as well as some spider webbing in the general area.

Insurance is offering to respray front bumper or cut us a $400 check. The $400 estimate is based on a $45hr/labor rate and 3.5 hours worth of work, which seems very low, it also doesn't include rental charges. The shop is a chain body shop but I would rather get it repaired at the dealership. Do I have any recourse to make them use the dealership instead? They said they will only cover all charges at their preferred shop or cut me the $400 check so I can take it wherever.
phubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #274
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
**OFFICIAL** Ask an insurance adjuster anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phubar View Post
Wife's suv got hit by another vehicle while filling up at the gas station, its a fairly new suv with no prior damage. The damage is about a 6"x2" scratch about 3/32" deep in a 1" area, very small but penetrated past the bumper some as well as some spider webbing in the general area.

Insurance is offering to respray front bumper or cut us a $400 check. The $400 estimate is based on a $45hr/labor rate and 3.5 hours worth of work, which seems very low, it also doesn't include rental charges. The shop is a chain body shop but I would rather get it repaired at the dealership. Do I have any recourse to make them use the dealership instead? They said they will only cover all charges at their preferred shop or cut me the $400 check so I can take it wherever.
Bullshit. They're trying to rob you. Any body shop you chose can meet with the adjuster to protect your best interest. $400? Lol I'd get car fixed and pocket arleast $800-1000

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #275
GasKing

Quote:

Bullshit. They're trying to rob you. Any body shop you chose can meet with the adjuster to protect your best interest. $400? Lol I'd get car fixed and pocket arleast $800-1000

Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #276
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:

Which insurance company is that?
That is absolute
Never take a check from insurance unless you intend to pocket it.
Have them send that check to your body shop of choice. If they refuse, have your insurance company deal with them once they admitted fault.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #277
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post

That's as well.
Even if the body shop is your friend's, they can't charge the insurance enough to give you $800-$1K kick back.
You could pocket the entire check (because it's made out to you), but you won't have your car fixed as well. And since they already offered $400, you will have a hard time convincing them to raise that to $1K, unless you tell them to pay the body shop directly.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #278
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
If they refuse, have your insurance company deal with them once they admitted fault.
If you live in a no-fault state, it doesn't matter who is "at fault", you collect through your insurance company. You--and they--have to abide by the signed agreement. It may include the use of aftermarket parts, and "incentives" to use only shops in their network, etc. Read your contract and act accordingly.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #279
phubar

My Ride: 335is, HD
The insurance company is Progressive. I don't trust the shop they want to use, its part of a chain called ABRA and it seems to me they are a cover for insurance companies to do all kinds of shady work. I really only trust myself to do the job right but she took her car to the dealership while I was deployed and they have earned my trust and confidence, even as far as working with me via email and explaining everything in clear detail. The $400 check, unsurprisingly, wont even scratch what the dealership would charge.

I thought about taking the estimate from the dealership and a printout of a rental reservation and make my argument, but they seem pretty firm on their rules and wouldn't stop pushing their repair shop while I was there.
phubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #280
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
That's as well.
Even if the body shop is your friend's, they can't charge the insurance enough to give you $800-$1K kick back.
You could pocket the entire check (because it's made out to you), but you won't have your car fixed as well. And since they already offered $400, you will have a hard time convincing them to raise that to $1K, unless you tell them to pay the body shop directly.
Anytime I've had even a minor fender bender. Never pocketed less than $800. Albeit it was a friend that fought the adjuster. You should pocket money from every claim.