E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #61
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I'll just chime in Dark...

child with a permanent disfigurement would pay large. In any area of the country. Chances are that the case would never see a jury (less than 5-10% actually do). It'd probably be setting in mediation.

one thing to keep in mind is that people generally feel like they are going to get rich from fender benders. Bruises and strains are going to get you more than a few hundred, tops. There are always exceptions to every rule, but in general, soft tissue injuries dont pay big.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #62
goyongj

My Ride: 02 325ci
you replied to my thread (accident with a city vehicle) you mentioned it would be hard to fight with the city.

I was just wondering whose falut would be if it was between civilians.

I parked in the bike lane which is illegal but he crashed into my car which means that he also invaded the bike lane. (if he stayed in parking zone, crash would've not happened) my car was non-moving vechile without the driver and he backed up.
I guess my fault is that I was in bike lane. His fault is he was in bike lane as well and backed his car without paying attention.
I can give up 20% but not more than that.

what do you think?

NY->Salt Lake City within 48 hours
goyongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #63
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyongj View Post
you replied to my thread (accident with a city vehicle) you mentioned it would be hard to fight with the city.

I was just wondering whose falut would be if it was between civilians.

I parked in the bike lane which is illegal but he crashed into my car which means that he also invaded the bike lane. (if he stayed in parking zone, crash would've not happened) my car was non-moving vechile without the driver and he backed up.
I guess my fault is that I was in bike lane. His fault is he was in bike lane as well and backed his car without paying attention.
I can give up 20% but not more than that.

what do you think?
interesting situation. Generally, a moving vehicle must yield right of way to an unmoving vehicle (note that traffic laws don't determine who has the right of way, only who must yield right of way), regardless of where they are. Illegal parking muddies the water on it, though.

It's really going to come down to what your insurance company agrees to with the city. I would hope that it comes out in your favor, though, as the bottom line is that the driver of a vehicle is responsible for ensuring the path his car is taking is clear, and it's clear that in this case, he didn't.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:35 AM   #64
NOVAbimmer

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/02/auto...dex.htm?hpt=C2

interesting, for sure. But most adjusters could have told you this without intensive research. I can more-or-less write the estimate for a CRV or Rav-4 that gets rear-ended without even looking at the car. The spare tires mounted on the liftgate push into the gate, necessitating replacement of the gate and the mount. The plastic bumpers mount straight to the rear body, which is in effect the rear floor. It crumples.

Most of us with small cars can also look out our windows in traffic and see that SUV bumpers are right in line with our shoulders and heads. T-bone accidents to the drivers side would be fatal. On top of that, most states allow trucks to be lifted to a certain degree, but make it illegal to lower a car even a 1/4 inch. I know in VA, a truck/SUV's bumper can be up to 48" off the ground. That's a child's head, or an adult's chest. There needs to be regulation and standardization on these things.

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Cars and SUVs don't stand bumper-to-bumper. That mismatch can turn what would have been minor rear-enders into massive repair bills for both vehicles if they crash, according to a new report from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The Insurance Institute, a private group financed by insurance companies, blames the divergence on what it calls a "long-standing gap" in federal auto safety regulations.

Email Print Comment"SUVs and cars share the road," said Joe Nolan, the Institute's chief administrative officer. "The problem is they don't share the same bumper rules, and consumers end up paying the price."

Federal rules require cars to have bumpers that protect an area between 16 and 20 inches from the ground. That means when cars crash into each other, they at least tend to hit bumper-to-bumper.

But there are no such rules for trucks and SUVs. Bumpers for SUVs, even car-based crossover SUVs, are often high in the air where car bumpers can pass underneath them. That leads to expensive damage.

To see how bad the damage could be, the Institute conducted low-speed crash tests, running SUVs and small cars into each other at 10 miles per hour. Seven pairs of vehicles -- one SUV and one small car from each of seven manufacturers -- were bumped into each other. In each case, the SUV was driven into the back of the car at 10 miles per hour, then the opposite was done and the car was banged into the back of the SUV.

"We picked vehicles from the same manufacturer because we think automakers should at least pay attention to bumper compatibility across their own fleets," Nolan said in an announcement. "The results show many don't."
Old 12-05-2010, 01:39 AM   #65
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
U still a V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
If there is one thing I despise most it's blacks always pulling the race card. It's so annoying and is often misplaced.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:41 AM   #66
eddiewolfgang

My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW222 View Post
What is your name and who is your Daddy?
lmaoo
Old 12-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #67
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
U still a V?
Old 12-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #68
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
If there is one thing I despise most it's blacks always pulling the race card. It's so annoying and is often misplaced.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #69
HighPod

My Ride: '00 white 323ci
this all hapened in CT, its a screwy story...

my current roomate was in an accident in CT last december. the car was said to be totaled. she let her x-b/f strip it and sell the parts and is now in a junkyard there. from what she says she signed it over to him but he never registered it. the guy's insurance company that hit her is ready to give her 4,000 for her car, but she needs to prove that the car is hers. so i guess the question is how does one produce a title or proof of a car in a junkyard and the x-b/f wont help with anything
Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #70
wrighterjw10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPod View Post
this all hapened in CT, its a screwy story...

my current roomate was in an accident in CT last december. the car was said to be totaled. she let her x-b/f strip it and sell the parts and is now in a junkyard there. from what she says she signed it over to him but he never registered it. the guy's insurance company that hit her is ready to give her 4,000 for her car, but she needs to prove that the car is hers. so i guess the question is how does one produce a title or proof of a car in a junkyard and the x-b/f wont help with anything
well what did she do with the title? did she give it to the ex?
Old 12-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #71
HighPod

My Ride: '00 white 323ci
apparently the junkyard has it. the x signed his name on the back like she sold it to him. she just needs to prove to the other insurance company the car is/was hers. so can a insurance company use the registarion she had to prove it?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #72
NOVAbimmer

sounds like she doesn't even own the vehicle anymore, as she signed it over to someone else. She could apply for a duplicate title, but the junk yard may have already reported it as destroyed. Sounds like something that needs to be worked out between her, her ex, the junkyard, and the insurance company
Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #73
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
do you like to piitb mike? (lol can i call u mike?)
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #74
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
do you like to piitb mike? (lol can i call u mike?)
I've never really been a fan
you can call me whatever you want, as long as it's not collect
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #75
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I've never really been a fan
you can call me whatever you want, as long as it's not collect
yeah I haven't been either.
What's your real name?
Who is your daddy, what does he do?
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #76
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
yeah I haven't been either.
What's your real name?
Who is your daddy, what does he do?
Aha, kindergarten cop ftw.

I have a serious question. I currently only have liability coverage on my 94is in Pa. I'm kind of worried that if I get hit by someone the car is going to be totalled because it's so old. I would like to at least get all the parts I've swapped into it back. This is includes the drivetrain, stereo, speakers, amps, interior, etc. Is there a way to do this? Can I buy the car back?(Whats the pricing on something like this?) Just take the stuff out? Thanks for your time, I though about going into this feild as well. Hows the pay?
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #77
wrighterjw10

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post

I have a serious question. I currently only have liability coverage on my 94is in Pa. I'm kind of worried that if I get hit by someone the car is going to be totalled because it's so old. I would like to at least get all the parts I've swapped into it back. This is includes the drivetrain, stereo, speakers, amps, interior, etc. Is there a way to do this? Can I buy the car back?(Whats the pricing on something like this?) Just take the stuff out? Thanks for your time, I though about going into this feild as well. Hows the pay?
In PA, you can take out whatever you'd like to salvage. they will then deduct that amt of the total value of the car.

so for example, if the car is worth $5000, and u remove the radio...

$5000 - value of stock radio = your check
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #78
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
In PA, you can take out whatever you'd like to salvage. they will then deduct that amt of the total value of the car.

so for example, if the car is worth $5000, and u remove the radio...

$5000 - value of stock radio = your check
Hmm. I see. I didn't see this as being the answer, but this makes sense. It's probably a good thing really. SO if someone hits me should I have it towed back to my house if I were to do this? Thanks for the answer by the way.
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #79
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post

if you only have liability, your insurance company isn't going to total your car.

In general, though, wrighterjw is right. If a customer wants us to keep the car, but they want to strip it first, we're going to deduct whatever the values of those parts are. If it's something like stripping body panels or driveline components off, definitely. If it's a "I want to put the stock parts back on" and we didn't adjust value for aftermarket parts, then there's no issue.

But yeah, the salvage yard expects to get a complete vehicle that's been in an accident.

Yes, you can also keep the car, in which case we keep the salvage value and you can do whatever you want with the hulk.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #80
Hybrid For Life

My Ride: BMW E90
I know this goes against the 3rd rule but for some reason the state farm site is down and i was wondering if you had a ball park guess on how much insurance would be for an 18 year old male in Socal on a 330i (2003).
Hybrid For Life is offline   Reply With Quote