E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #81
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by motostu93 View Post
I know this goes against the 3rd rule but for some reason the state farm site is down and i was wondering if you had a ball park guess on how much insurance would be for an 18 year old male in Socal on a 330i (2003).
no idea
Old 12-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #82
Sir Smirnoff

My Ride: 2002 330i
So if you do not have comprehensive insurance and are involved in a 2 car accident (you and another car) and it is deemed your fault, do your rates go up? Also, how much do rates go up on average for a 21 year old if he wrecks a car. How much if he wrecks another car and so on and so on? If you get an illegal U-turn ticket and then put on 4 months probation, do your rates go up temporarily, permanently or not at all?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 AM   #83
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Smirnoff View Post
So if you do not have comprehensive insurance and are involved in a 2 car accident (you and another car) and it is deemed your fault, do your rates go up? Also, how much do rates go up on average for a 21 year old if he wrecks a car. How much if he wrecks another car and so on and so on? If you get an illegal U-turn ticket and then put on 4 months probation, do your rates go up temporarily, permanently or not at all?
all of these questions would be answerable by your insurance company's underwriting department. It all depends on how your company determines rates based on your state's laws.

For the first one, though, I'm assuming that you mean collision coverage, if the accident is deemed your fault, your liability protection will cover the other vehicle, but you'll be left paying OOP if you want to get your vehicle fixed.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #84
JamaicanBlueE46M3

My Ride: E46 M3
With a damaged panel wether bolted on front fender or welded on rear fender, at what point do u recommend replacing as against repairing the panel? In other words, how much damage has to be present b4 u consider replacing? Also, How do u determine to replace with used original as versus aftermarket parts? I am assuming that newer cars would get new OEM replacement parts.
JamaicanBlueE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #85
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicanBlueE46M3 View Post
With a damaged panel wether bolted on front fender or welded on rear fender, at what point do u recommend replacing as against repairing the panel? In other words, how much damage has to be present b4 u consider replacing? Also, How do u determine to replace with used original as versus aftermarket parts? I am assuming that newer cars would get new OEM replacement parts.
as far as a/m vs oe panels, if it's a bolt on piece, I will use an aftermarket piece for anything that's not current or previous model year. As long as a CAPA part is available from a reputable company, I will use them all day. We guarantee those parts for the life of the car as long as you own it. Weld in panels (for my company), are always OE, whether or not they're new or recycled. Recycled 1/4 panels can actually be a great way to go if you need the back end, or near the rocker, as you can tell the yard how much you need and they'll send you that. Rather than buying new, if the panel doesn't extend to cover everything you need, then you're stuck buying multiple pieces.

There's nothing worse than buying an entire new 1/4 panel and rocker (or 1/4 and rear body panel) just to use a foot of each one.

As far as repair vs replace the question is one of cost efficiency and repairability. Bolt on parts (fenders/hoods/trunks/doors/etc) are easy to make the call on. If it'll cost less to repair it than replace it, then it gets repaired. We look for the most cost-effective solution in all cases.

As far as quarter panels go, or other weld on parts, it becomes a question of what will need to be cut out, how much will need to be ordered, what the final product will look like, and how much it's going to cost.

Most panels are pretty evident whether they need to be replaced or repaired, and knowing the difference comes from experience.

Bottom line, the repair vs replace decision is one of the balance between cost effectiveness and quality of repair. The quality of repair is the highest priority when a car comes in the shop, but we are responsible to our customers for providing them that quality in the most cost-effective way possible.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #86
pez319

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i TiAg
Hey Nova, I was wondering if insurance companies have a database about accidents that they share with each other. Assuming you have two insurance companies for two separate cars would the companies know about accidents claimed through the other company?
pez319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #87
NOVAbimmer

not that I'm aware of. I know that we can pick up a phone and call another insurance company and they'll usually let us know if there are any prior accidents.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #88
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
Hello Mike,

Is there any reason not to destroy my copies of the annual insurance policies (term life, auto, homeowners, umbrella, etc.) each year as they expire? I like to get rid of paperwork as soon as it is prudent to do so.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #89
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
Hello Mike,

Is there any reason not to destroy my copies of the annual insurance policies (term life, auto, homeowners, umbrella, etc.) each year as they expire? I like to get rid of paperwork as soon as it is prudent to do so.
your actual policy? I wouldn't see any reason to keep it. I tend to keep my insurance cards, though. I put them in my file right next to my W2s and 1040s.

I can't imagine any situation coming up where I would need to prove that I had insurance coverage five years ago, but you never know.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #90
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by pez319 View Post
Hey Nova, I was wondering if insurance companies have a database about accidents that they share with each other. Assuming you have two insurance companies for two separate cars would the companies know about accidents claimed through the other company?
yes. searchable by name, address, phone, SSN#, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
not that I'm aware of. I know that we can pick up a phone and call another insurance company and they'll usually let us know if there are any prior accidents.
seriously? You've never heard of ISOtel?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #91
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
yes. searchable by name, address, phone, SSN#, etc.

seriously? You've never heard of ISOtel?
no, it may be something that the internal adjusters use, though.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #92
jacques chirac

My Ride: Cheese smellin' feet
How can you have a degree in art, be an insurance adjuster, hunting talibans and be everyday on this forum ? Are you called Jarod or am I missing something ?

Another question : Why do you got that quote in your sig ? Does it mean you agree with that statement ?

Smelly Cheese FTMFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
:lmao: your posts are the best
jacques chirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #93
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
How can you have a degree in art, be an insurance adjuster, hunting talibans and be everyday on this forum ? Are you called Jarod or am I missing something ?

Another question : Why do you got that quote in your sig ? Does it mean you agree with that statement ?
degree in history. The rest is through the magic of teh interwebz

no, more quoted for the ignorance inherent therein
Old 12-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #94
wlmmn

My Ride: 02 330ci+05AudiAllro
Thanks for this thread NOVA- I remember an insurance adjuster coming in during my Driver's Ed course 10 years ago and it seemed like he just wanted to get the hell out of the room full of 15 and 16-year-olds and not answer anything, so this thread helps. Also the BMW-specific little bits here and there you've put in (i.e. M-tech bumper) help keep the sometimes confusing info to a level I can relate with.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #95
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
i've always wondered about this. Say someone buys a moderately wrecked car that is repairable from a private party that never reported it to any organization or insurance company. Then the person who buys it take it to their house, gets it on the insurance policy, then holds onto it for like a month, then tells the insurance company he crashed it. Does the insurance company have any way of figuring out this guy is committing insurance fraud?

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #96
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
i've always wondered about this. Say someone buys a moderately wrecked car that is repairable from a private party that never reported it to any organization or insurance company. Then the person who buys it take it to their house, gets it on the insurance policy, then holds onto it for like a month, then tells the insurance company he crashed it. Does the insurance company have any way of figuring out this guy is committing insurance fraud?
the guys that appraise cars are very good at what they do. through paint, rust, etc they'll be able to tell the dmg is not fresh.

keep in mind, that's also insurance fraud to a T. seems like a silly thing to me to go on ur permanent record and/or jail.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #97
jacques chirac

My Ride: Cheese smellin' feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
degree in history. The rest is through the magic of teh interwebz

no, more quoted for the ignorance inherent therein
what ? you're not a soldier curently deployed in A ?

Smelly Cheese FTMFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
:lmao: your posts are the best
jacques chirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #98
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
the guys that appraise cars are very good at what they do. through paint, rust, etc they'll be able to tell the dmg is not fresh.

keep in mind, that's also insurance fraud to a T. seems like a silly thing to me to go on ur permanent record and/or jail.
this. There is the possibility that you could get away with it. But getting caught would cost you a lot more than it would be worth, including, most likely, a lack of any future insurance coverage.

I've written one of those before, and yes, it isn't tough to tell fresh damage from old damage. It's not pleasant, as the customer got really defensive about it. "Are you calling me a liar?"

"No, sir. I just don't believe a word you're telling me about this accident. And, you'll most likely be hearing from our investigations unit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
what ? you're not a soldier curently deployed in A ?
I am. I'm in the national guard, so I have a civilian job, as well, though. I am a fanatic of many talents.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #99
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Ahh thanks, thats what i though.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #100
Chris3Duke

Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but years ago (2003) I was hit by someone else (100% their fault, they admitted it, and their insurance company paid) in my then 4-month old E46. The total bill wound up around $17k.

Long story short, I wanted to take the car to WagonWerk in Alexandria (I'm sure you know the place). The Geico adjuster said they had recently raised their paint and mechanic labor rates, and Geico refused to pay them. I wound up negotiating by not getting a rental car (my wife had a company car, and I drove her car for the literally several months my car was at WagonWerk).

Was this kosher? Can the insurance company refuse to pay the rates of a legitimate shop, and force me to have it repaired somewhere else? Had I not made a deal, what would my options have been? Sue?
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote