E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
My white xi

My Ride: 2004 330xi
C'ant wait to try my xi this winter..
My white xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #22
TopazXi

My Ride: 02' 325xi Sport Pack
Supercharging is over priced, turbo-kits dont exist. Although it wouldnt be too difficult to make one if certain companies on this forum would be willing to sell manifolds seperately from their kits. But dont bother asking them.... Xi's are good daily drivers but do not take well to many modifications. Your best bet would be to just leave the car alone and take good care of it.

Suspension is the only thing I would upgrade on an xi.
TopazXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #23
egk2

My Ride: is Alpine Weiss...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theviking View Post
my friendly BMW Dealer Parts Guy, told me that he heard the S/C's don't work good in the winter. I don't know if it's true for all S/C kits or just some though... (I had a supercharged big block a few years ago, and it ran fine in the winter)
Hey that's me...what's up Gunnar? Anyway, had a buddy with a FI'd lexus and another with a FI'd E36 M3, both running vortechs. Both were warned about running in cold weather and Vortech even has listed in their limited warranty as one of the requirements as to not void the warranty, Subjecting any Vortech supercharger to a "cold start-up" condition (below 25° F) without the
use of an engine block heater/aftermarket engine blanket

Centrifugal blowers need to be heated up so the blower gets properly lubed up otherwise it will/can freeze. There are other blowers that have their own oil supply in which cold weather probably won't be such an issue.(roots style)

I wouldn't personally even bother with going FI in an iX.

Last edited by egk2; 12-05-2010 at 12:06 PM.
egk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #24
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
He then went on a verbal tangient with me for twenty minutes as to why the automobile needs a proper foundation of equiptment-sensitivity-that is prepared to handle the HP...and he made alot of sense. he said " all dezz kids-ripping out exhausts-bigger vheeeels-intakes!" thats why they have zsssoooooooo many problems! bigger vheeels cause ball joint problems,control arm problems,bushings wear out faster!!! 22" rims on a car designed for 16' or 17'' rims! not omly do sheyy loook stupid... the transmissions vill vhere away! You strip the gears, the larger the diameter the more power it takes to rotate the rim around!!! you wil eventually tear apart the CV joints...everything ruined....the improper balancing, steering units will fail! control arms will need be replaced too, alignments,........ intakes will in time sandblast the MAFS and you wil buy a new one for $300+!!! you can upgrade but not contradict the engineering design of the automobile! Now you say a supercharger???? imagine what the transmission wil look like after 5000 miles with the constant reving of rpms for a car that comes stock to handle 185 HP! He went on and i listened...he was 100% right. Want to have HP? purchase a car that is desined to handle and deliver it...a M3! or purchase the proper equiptment to do it!!! lotsa $$$$$.
If you want to play...... you GOTTA PAY!
This is an informative rant. Interesting comment about the CV joints.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:24 AM   #25
eddiewolfgang

My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
do not go supercharger on and Xi! the car is not designed to handle that kind of Hp or torque! especially the transmission...the planetary gears wil strip, the differtential will strip. The entire drivetrain is NOT designed to handle that kind of power. I have a close freind here in NOLA, this gentleman is aged beyond me( i am 38) and has been racing since he was 18. He is from Bavaria...has owned a repair shop here for 20+ yrs, -is german and is a plethura of information! He also was a Formula One mechanic for quite sometime, started racing in Germany when he was 18, worked in a high performance auto shop in Miami during the 1980-(near thunder alley) This guy knows BMW, Audi, VW and Mercedes,Porsche like no other!!!!!. I asked him about a Super Chrger for my Xi and he looked at me with the most sarcastic respnses I ever heard! LOL.." zee xi is for AWD! not vor 2wd..racing!!!!"
lol cool story bro. wow i actually took the time to read the whole story.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #26
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
Let me see...

my car is worth $9000 or so.

a supercharger will cost me $5500 plus the cost of an install.

No.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #27
SLVRXI

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Has gutrov ever up dated on how his turbo is working out on his xi.
SLVRXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #28
theviking

My Ride: 330XI R1200C
Hi Ed,

I can't believe you spelled it iX, but I will have to forgive you, since you hook me up all the time when it comes to parts...

(FYI Fanatics; Ed is a customer oriented parts guy, the kind that makes me call the dealership first, when I need parts! If you are not too far from Grand Blanc Motorcars in MI, def. give him a call if you need OEM parts...)

Anyway, I'm still tempted to get the OEM cam kit. Looks like the general consensus is that the supercharger has too many potential issues, for a winter driven AWD car.

(Or maybe I need to figure out how to not spend all my money on sailing, so I can get a Lotus for the summerfun... )

/

Quote:
Originally Posted by egk2 View Post
Hey that's me...what's up Gunnar? Anyway, had a buddy with a FI'd lexus and another with a FI'd E36 M3, both running vortechs. Both were warned about running in cold weather and Vortech even has listed in their limited warranty as one of the requirements as to not void the warranty, Subjecting any Vortech supercharger to a “cold start-up” condition (below 25° F) without the
use of an engine block heater/aftermarket engine blanket

Centrifugal blowers need to be heated up so the blower gets properly lubed up otherwise it will/can freeze. There are other blowers that have their own oil supply in which cold weather probably won't be such an issue.(roots style)

I wouldn't personally even bother with going FI in an iX.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #29
egk2

My Ride: is Alpine Weiss...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theviking View Post
Hi Ed,

I can't believe you spelled it iX, but I will have to forgive you, since you hook me up all the time when it comes to parts...

(FYI Fanatics; Ed is a customer oriented parts guy, the kind that makes me call the dealership first, when I need parts! If you are not too far from Grand Blanc Motorcars in MI, def. give him a call if you need OEM parts...)

Anyway, I'm still tempted to get the OEM cam kit. Looks like the general consensus is that the supercharger has too many potential issues, for a winter driven AWD car.

(Or maybe I need to figure out how to not spend all my money on sailing, so I can get a Lotus for the summerfun... )

/

sorry bout the iX thing, comes from my e30 days...let me know if you need anything...
Old 12-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #30
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
like i said, it will be fine for the most part as long as you dont launch your car at every streetlight. drop it down a couple gears on the hwy at 75mph and feel the SC power. if you want more power but want to keep your current car for another 4-5 years like some of us, i think SC is the way to go. otherwise, youre just gonna have to get a 2nd car that is much faster or just be quiet and accept your slow car for what it is.

btw, even if you launch your stock NA xi because "AWD is supposed to pwn RWD off the line if you launch at 4krpm" you will still destroy your drivetrain quicker than you can say "i really want to SC my xi because i'm sad that its really slow and i dont want to go through the trouble of making it stock again, selling it, finding a used M3, buying it, maintaining it, and then turbo'ing THAT which would cost a whole lot more than just SC'ing my 330 in the first place". Hell, even stock E46 M3's can have messed up rear axles if they launch it too many times on the track... i've seen a youtube video of it.

you only have to sacrifice one thing: launching. besides that, you'll be set. feather the clutch into 1st gear, then for the rest of the gear put the pedal to the metal and win that medal.
oh btw, after SCing a 330, you'll probably be slightly faster than stock E46 M3s and stock 335i's... but i still think its a good/fun route to take.

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #31
LV330xi

My Ride: BMW 330xi
One of my buddies that has a 2002 330Xi has ESS Supercharger @ 9.5 PSI w/ MT Re-Flashed ECM, he is pushing about 350BHP on a good day...his transfer case has been holding up so far with 30K miles already with the S/C.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #32
Hageee

My Ride: E46 330xiA
Send a message via ICQ to Hageee
reflashed ECM with automatic? ... didn't believe that.. .
Hageee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #33
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hageee View Post
reflashed ECM with automatic? ... didn't believe that.. .
no he said manual (MT)

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #34
Glissco27

My Ride: is a smoked Xi
Send a message via AIM to Glissco27
why even waste the money tho? its so expensive and possibly a headache from the issues you guys have brought up. i say enjoy the ride (maybe a lowered/sporty suspension to give a better feel) or get an M if you want something with more than 194 hp....its your car though so do what you want and enjoy it
Khoalty Black Matte Grill | Khoalty Smoked Turn Sig w/ LEDs | Khoalty Smoked Side Markers w/LEDs | Silver CF Vinyl Interior Trim | Khoalty LED Interior Kit | CF/White Roundels | Khoalty Smoked Tail Lights | Khoalty Angel Eyes | Aftermarket Pioneer sound system

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Glissco27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #35
dakotabmr

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP, Imola
Supercharged

If you supercharge it and own it long enough, be prepared for an early head gasket failure and a $1500-2000 repair. I have a E36 M3 and my research leads to the same conclusion for an E46. Also, depending on your driving habits, OEM clutches can be eaten up faster than normal.
dakotabmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #36
quattrokiller

My Ride: E46-330xi, F11, E21
I talked to ESS, They said Stage 1 will be no problem, they will not recommend Stage 2. And OEM clutch will be fine. Getting it this spring.
quattrokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #37
hansable
Banned

My Ride: 328i
An aftermarket clutch would engage more solid and you will feel a huge difference at launch with the power. I installed a 6 puck copper ceramic clutch in my stock 04 325xi and it feels awesome. It still has springs so it doesn't shudder too bad. If you are going forced induction, having the solid engagement without slip will make a huge difference and you will love it.
hansable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #38
Captainbiceps

My Ride: e46 330xi
Renew your head gasket, change injectors fuel filter, pump, mount better air filter with a nice sporty exhaust.

+ Kw coilovers, powerflex bushings and nice large 18 wheels forget 19 " !!

Then go to digitaltuning.ch and optimize your eprom. That's it !

You will gain around real 50-60 HP without risk i know not too much but you will notice the difference.
Captainbiceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #39
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
Sigh some of the information is just heresay. There are folks who have been running SC's on their Xi's for some time. If you want a turbo, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773653 is one thread where a guy is building and running his turbo setup. If you read it, you will see the things that stop an Xi and what he has had to do so far. SC's can be bought for your engine and as others have noted the setups are solid.

Keep in mind, when you modify the engine you decrease the reliability. That wouldn't matter even if you were putting bolt-ons on a chevy 350, you move closer to the designed limits and will experience failure. I seriously doubt the long list the other guy gave because it sounds like scare tactics and considering the folks that have SC's have had no problems. One thing I did read was that they had to do belt maintenance more often. No biggie but it illustrates the point.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #40
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbiceps View Post
Renew your head gasket, change injectors fuel filter, pump, mount better air filter with a nice sporty exhaust.

+ Kw coilovers, powerflex bushings and nice large 18 wheels forget 19 " !!

Then go to digitaltuning.ch and optimize your eprom. That's it !

You will gain around real 50-60 HP without risk i know not too much but you will notice the difference.
Their website quotes a 17hp gain... In any case, how does one go about doing this and how much does it cost?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xi turbo