E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
My XI shocks springs are too stiff? Recomendations?

About a year ago, I swapped out the suspension in my wife's 2004 325xi. I wanted to slightly lower the car and slightly stiffen the suspension.

I put in H&R Sport springs and Koni yellows (both for the XI). The ride is waaaaay to stiff. I have the Koni / H&R sport combo in my 325i and it's not nearly as firm (even with the shocks on the looses setting).

Looking for recommendations for a softer setup. I am close to going back to stock on this.

Remember, this is my wife's car... She doesn't need coilovers, or anything crazy, so please keep that in mind with your recomendation.

thx
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
hoss

My Ride: 330 Xi
I'm also interested in the answer to this, as i was about to go for Bilstein Yellow shocks and Eibach sport springs. I want to drop/stiffen a little, but not crazyily hard.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
2001bmw330

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330i
i have the H&R cup kit and its not too stiff but handles really well even with over 50000 miles on the kit
2001bmw330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001bmw330 View Post
i have the H&R cup kit and its not too stiff but handles really well even with over 50000 miles on the kit
do you even have an XI? This is an XI only thread
Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Agreed. Keep this thread limited to folks who have an xi or know what they are talking about. There is no cupkit made for an xi.

My advice is to try Eibach springs and reset Konis to their softest setting. It would probably be too soft for me but may work well for your wife. Alternatively, check the Konis and change setting to softest level with current springs. This may work too, but I suspect that the H&R springs are the primary culprit regarding the harsh ride. Can't figure out why it took a year for you to figure out that the ride was too harsh. If it was not initially too harsh you may have other suspension issues like bad bushings.

Last edited by shadow 2; 09-07-2009 at 11:09 AM.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Doesn't bombguy have an XI. Steve, maybe he might have some info for you.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
Agreed. Keep this thread limited to folks who have an xi or know what they are talking about. There is no cupkit made for an xi.

My advice is to try Eibach springs and reset Konis to their softest setting. It would probably be too soft for me but may work well for your wife. Alternatively, check the Konis and change setting to softest level with current springs. This may work too, but I suspect that the H&R springs are the primary culprit regarding the harsh ride. Can't figure out why it took a year for you to figure out that the ride was too harsh. If it was not initially too harsh you may have other suspension issues like bad bushings.

The Konis are already set to the softest setting...

Its been too harsh ever since they went on... I've been too busy / lazy to deal with it though...
Old 09-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
shadow 2

Wow. Konis at their soft setting are almost univerally condemned as being way too soft. Most guys set them some where toward the middle of their adjustment range and even some of them think its too soft. Assuming the shocks are not defective and there is no other serious problems with the suspension, the only thing I can think of then is going to an Eibach spring. Hopefully, someone on here with far more experience than me can give you a more qualified opinion.

Last edited by shadow 2; 09-07-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Lace your wife's spine with adamantium and tell her to suck it up.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
devm635csi

My Ride: 330xi
I have konis and H&Rs on my '01 330xi and it's very stiff too. I keep them dialed to their softest and I can still compress my organs when hitting expansion joints and whatnot. Not really sure why I went with adjustables when I have to keep them at the softest setting. I was thinking about switching to Eibachs just to see if it helps, or maybe see if its a bumpstop issue or something. At this point I'm guessing coilovers would have a more gentle setting somewhere in their range.
devm635csi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
332xi

My Ride: too fast e46/330xi
hell no... trust me, i have a set of h & r coil overs... they are the harshest things i think i could have picked for my setup. if i could do it again, i would definitely not go with any coil overs. they are mostly for tracking, not every dd'ng.

sorry, i didn't see that part about 'settings'... as the h & r ones don't have any settings. just one, waaay tooo harsh. just stay clear of the h & r ones and you might be okay.
332xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
I have stock shocks on my H&R springs and I think the ride is too stiff...interested to see the results here.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 09-07-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
The Konis are already set to the softest setting...

Its been too harsh ever since they went on... I've been too busy / lazy to deal with it though...

Put a dice unit in there that will fix it sorry had to do it!!!!

It may be the springs it may be the valveing of the shocks. Do you happen to know the spring rate of the springs used?

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:08 AM   #14
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Put a dice unit in there that will fix it sorry had to do it!!!!

It may be the springs it may be the valveing of the shocks. Do you happen to know the spring rate of the springs used?

Doesn't seem to have any info on it on H&R's page:
http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguid...MW%20|%20325Xi

Does anyone have the Konis with Eibach springs for an XI?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #15
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Yeah it's next to impossible to get an xi thread going around here. We need an xi forum.

Sna77- Have you considered Dinan springs? The only people that seem to be content with the ride on their xi aftermarket suspension are the guys who coughed up the dough for the Dinan kit.

I don't want Koni shocks (revalved or not), which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on the Dinan kit.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #16
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Just saw this . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogik View Post
If you want an excellent set that matches comfort and performance, try the Koni FSD / Eiback Pro combo. Just got it installed and it IS phenominal!

Not sure if they have it for the xi though...
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #17
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Yeah it's next to impossible to get an xi thread going around here. We need an xi forum.

Sna77- Have you considered Dinan springs? The only people that seem to be content with the ride on their xi aftermarket suspension are the guys who coughed up the dough for the Dinan kit.

I don't want Koni shocks (revalved or not), which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on the Dinan kit.

Doesn't the Dinan kit use H&Rs for the springs (and obv Konis for the shocks)?

If not, can you even buy just the Dinan springs?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #18
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Doesn't the Dinan kit use H&Rs for the springs (and obv Konis for the shocks)?

If not, can you even buy just the Dinan springs?
They my use HR for a manufactor but i am sure the spring rate is speced by them. You may also want to look and see if you can find a progressive rate spring that may help with some of the small stoke softness. I knowI deal with shock sand springs alot of my Race sleds and we are always playing with things.

OF course I play with 2000K shocks on my stuff!!!

(notice the lack of springs on the front end
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sethsatnding.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	330664  

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
shadow 2

Bump for more responses. C'mon xi guys, lets not let this thread fade away like so many others w/o coming up with some helpful advice for the OP. Surely, some of you have tried spring and shock combos that gave you both an acceptable ride and increased performance handling. Let us know what you did and how it worked for you.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
sna77
OEM ///Member

I am about to toss my OEM springs onto my Konis... That would at least tell me if it is the shocks or springs that are the culprit... My mechanic thinks its the shocks FWIW