E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #81
freys330

My Ride: 04 330Ci SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Nah, it's not so much the year of the car that makes the difference, but the year of the siren. If you got yourself a newer siren, it'd sound just like mine without having to recode anything. I'm not quite sure when the cutoff was, but I know 2001 sirens definitely had the digital sound (my dad used to have a 2001 X5 which made the same noise as my E46, albeit quite a bit louder).

I think the previous owner of your car got a siren from a '99 car or something along those lines. Maybe even grabbed one from a pre-facelift E39 since the E46 bracket fits fine on the E39 siren.

I personally prefer the digital sound, but it's not a big deal. They all accomplish basically the same thing, and the actual siren part sounds similar.

Does it sound like mine? If so you've got an OEM siren too, just the newer style one. They're interchangeable though, so if you like the old one better, you just need to find one and swap it in. And the siren itself has a NiMH battery in it, so it'll go off if you remove the terminal (at least the new style ones do. I'm not sure about the older ones like delmarco's)

Yupp yours and mine sound identical!
Old 12-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #82
e46 red metallic

My Ride: 325i 2001
I have a couple of ? if anyone can help with it....when i lock my car it doesn't beep nor lights flash , i dnt have an alarm tho is dat it? another thing is how do u set up the time ? lol can't do it .....its a 325i .
e46 red metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #83
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 red metallic View Post
I have a couple of ? if anyone can help with it....when i lock my car it doesn't beep nor lights flash , i dnt have an alarm tho is dat it? another thing is how do u set up the time ? lol can't do it .....its a 325i .
You dont have an alarm most likely. They (for some reason) aren't a stock feature like they are on most other brands.

Look in your owners manual to set you clock. I've done it once, when I first got the car.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #84
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #85
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
I so understand where that guy is coming from ^
Old 01-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #86
eurorush86

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
In the trunk next to the OEM tire jack there is a BMW wheel chock that no one knows about.

I knew it was there lol but I just found out mines in the wrong spot!!!
eurorush86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #87
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
This is a little known fact about our cars...

If you turn the key on and off about 5 times, while holding the gas pedal...your car will turn into a ham sandwich.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #88
Nightmare5336

My Ride: e46 with a slushy
Ill report back...^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336 View Post
DUMB YOUR MOM.
Nightmare5336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #89
Redman M3

My Ride: M3 - Individual -
For me it has to be the overall package the experience

BMW M3 - Individual Atlantis Blue

Last edited by Redman M3; 01-01-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Redman M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #90
Rowdy330I

My Ride: 2003 330I
The fact that it accelerates like a cat on fire and that's it. The maintenance and associated cost make it suck. Too damn many electronics and weird engine management controls. In less than a year I have spent more on this car than I have spent on my 03 Silverado by 100X.
Rowdy330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 AM   #91
bmrhead

My Ride: E46 ZHP
the m-tech bumper smiles at me everytime i look at it

BIMRHEAD FROM BIMMERLAND
bmrhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #92
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
The fact that it's an M3 is cool enough
Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #93
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
This is a little known fact about our cars...

If you turn the key on and off about 5 times, while holding the gas pedal...your car will turn into a ham sandwich.
this really does work! the only problem is then you figure it needs mustard. And when it turns back, you have mustard all over your seats.

Unless you eat it. Then you just don't have a car.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #94
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Hold you key under your chin to get uber transmit distance.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #95
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 193k
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi330i View Post
Hold you key under your chin to get uber transmit distance.
I do this. It really works. It sounds weird but a more discreet way is to sorta jab the key into your thigh. I've run some amateur experiments and it really does seem to improve reception.

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #96
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Cool thing about mine, all mods and the car is paid off. Now working on a new project.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #97
loginfailed

My Ride: My buddies 350hp
The air conditioner.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #98
moar low

My Ride: 03' 325i/00' Celica
No first aid kit in my 325i.

I also can't find the "secret" compartment by the driver's leg? Any help?

----

Speculations awaiting research:
I was told once before that the memory seat option will also hold the preset radio stations set at that time. Not sure and don't listen to radio. We don't get many stations here. But may be worth looking into for some. May only be with certain players/models.

I also heard that BMW did a lot of research on finding the best HID power for the brightest lumen output and distance on the Xenon Package'd cars.. I will be looking into that more to provide you all with the correct information.

----

Before we get started; Not for E46 but.. BMW's in general. I've been watching TED Talks for a long time now, and they have some brilliant minds on there. BMW and TED have now partnered. Glad to be a part of this brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW USA Website
Once a year, 1,000 great thinkers are invited to the exclusive TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) Conference to share their belief that ideas are everything. Now, for the first time ever, BMW has an exclusive partnership with TED, enabling us to bring the wisdom, inspiration and groundbreaking innovation to the rest of the world. As Chris Anderson, Curator of the TED Conference pointed out, BMW is a natural partner for TED. Both organizations strongly believe that ideas can change the world. And by spreading the thoughts of these distinguished thinkers - we can do our part to shape the future.

Let me see if I can't add anything after these cars being out about 12 years. Here is some interesting info that I didn't see listed:
  1. The E46 323, despite having a 2.5L engine, was designated "323" and not "325", to increase the apparent spread between it and the correctly-numbered 328 to appeal to BMW enthusiasts. (SOURCE: Wikipedia) This is against the way the general public understands BMW models.
  2. The cigarette lighter remains operational without the key or ignition. Good to know if you have children.
  3. http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/E38_Xenon_Lights.pdf Explains in detail the Xenon light package. I know the link says E38 but the system itself is very similar. I'll be researching this more. I find this interesting.
  4. the E46 was released with a front engined rear-wheel drive layout with 50/50 weight distribution. This balance allows for optimal handling in regards to the drive train layout. Some bragging rights.
  5. The rear ashtray as well as the front will eject themselves if you push the lid back a little farther after opening.
  6. Just because you think you have a leather interior. You may not, even despite Premium package. Search Leatherette.
  7. Not sure if its been mentioned.. There is a small green piece of plastic attached to the top of the fuel door. This is to hold your gas cap while filling.
  8. You can display your RPM digitally on your odometer screen.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FUBAR
    Instructions to access the hidden OBC functions:
    1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
    2. OBC should show "Test"
    3. Use Trip Reset to select function 19.0 that unlocks all the features
    3. Wait for display to show "Off"
    4. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
    5. With no delay press Trip Reset several times to select the following...

7.2 + Engine speed / Current RPMs 1/min

This will show your current RPM in a digital readout on your dash.
    Thanks, fellow fanatic, for the instructions for RPM readout. (link to post = http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...1&postcount=15 )

Cool info you can find in your manual:
  9. "TONE LIN" setting on a Business CD player restores all your original factory balance and sound quality settings.
  10. Some E46's with Business CD player have a "Key Memory" feature.

Details verbatim: Each person must use his or her own ignition key. You can have your BMW center customize the following settings for each key:
    Last audio source heard. (Radio, CD Changer, or CD)
    The last radio station heard.
    The last sound settings selected.

The settings stored by the key will be automatically activated from ignition key position 1.
  11. Some E46's with Business CD player have a "Automatic Storing" feature.

Again, verbatim from the Business CD manual:
    Automatic data storage (AUTOSTORE) is advantageous if you need quick access to the strongest radio station in area while you are doing long-distance driving. The 6 respectively strongest stations can automatically be stored on the FMA and AMA memory levels.

Press and hold AM or FM. Display, eg.: fma AUTOSTORE. The radio automatically changes to the FMA or AMA memory level. The 6 currently strongest stations are automatically stored under station key 1 is then tuned onto.
  12. Refer to page 124 in your owners manual to find a auxiliary hook up under the hood by the passenger strut tower for jump starting your E46.
  13. I never was exactly sure what guide lines the central locking pump worked by concerning doors open or closed while using the manual lock/unlock button located on center console. This is shed some light and hopefully make using and understanding your E46 a bit easier.

Verbatim: If only the drivers door was unlocked from the outside and you press the button, with the drivers side door still open, the passenger-side door, the luggage compartment lid and the fuel filler door will unlock, too. If the driver's door is closed it will be locked by pressing the button.

14. If you desire the central locking system can be activated automatically as soon as you begin to drive. This can be adjusted to be key specific as well.
  15. Only the master key will fit the trunk lid lock. The same goes for the glove compartment.
  16. If your battery is dead you can flip down the panel in the headliner where your sunroof switch is located and manually roll it up. You will need the Allen key from the on board tool kit to move the sliding/tilt sunroof.
  17. You can have the sensitivity of your vehicles automatic headlamp control adjusted at your BMW center.

One thing that I was impressed with the most:
  18. On your automatic climate control panel. You will notice the button for your Outside Air/Inside Air. It has two circular patterned arrows with an A inside the circle on the left and a small indicator light for each, showing which is engaged. For a long time I thought this button was simple inside/outside air selector. This is wrong..

"When the left indicator lamp is on you enter "AUC Mode" The system recognizes pollutants in the outside air, and block the flow of air when necessary. The system them recirculates the air currently within the vehicle. Depending on the air quality, the automatic system then switches back and forth between outside and inside air supply and recirculation of the air within the vehicle."

Hope some found this interesting. Don't just skim through this. There is tons of information in there. If you look closely at your BMW, you'll realize everything was very thought out, and there for a reason, even if you may not understand it. It's amazing what you may find if you would simply find time to open your owners manual.

I apologize ahead of time for any spelling or grammatical errors. I never claimed to be the sharpest crayon.

ya, i'm a fanatic.

Last edited by moar low; 02-28-2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Grammer, Spelling, and Readability.
moar low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #99
moar low

My Ride: 03' 325i/00' Celica
Any help on the secret compartment?
moar low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #100
Cruzader

My Ride: Alpinweiß facelift
I think it's really cool that the ball joints and CA bushings went bad in less than 4 years

Tags
awesome, cool, e46, features, hidden