E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
tb330

My Ride: 2006 Acura TL
Eibach vs. H&R

These threads seem to pop up more often then not and most people only have experience with one or the other. I've had both on my XI so I figured I would review each of them in hopes that it will help those that are on the fence decide. The I'm not liable for anything you do applies

I first went with Eibach Pro Kit springs after reading a few professional reviews. Tirerack said that it actually lowers slightly more than the H&R so I went with them since I had had good experiences with them in the past. After installing them and letting them settle, it lowered it about an inch and still left substantial wheel gap. I would also bottom out my shocks quite often when I would hit slight bumps, etc. With the exception of them bottoming out the ride was still fairly close to stock. A little bit more harsh, but nothing that isn't tolerable. My stock shocks still had plenty of life left in them so I decided to keep them on for now so if your lowering your car and using aftermarket shocks that may have a different effect than what I felt. Handling was only slightly better than stock with these, the real difference came with the strut bars and rear sway.

I then moved onto the H&R Sports as I wanted to go lower without paying for a coilover setup. After letting them settle they lowered the car quite a bit compared to the Eibach's and left a 2 finger gap in the front and 1 finger in the rear with 17" wheels and 5mm spring pads in the back. The car sits perfectly level (no rake) with the 5mm pads in there. I would like to be lower, but for the money I am happy with the drop. The ride is ever so slightly worse than the Eibach's, but the shocks have yet to bottom out after 5 months. Handling is slightly improved over the Eibach's, but nothing that is too impressive. Overall I am extremely happy with the H&R springs and would recommend them to anyone that wants to eliminate some wheel gap and have better handling without paying a premium for coilovers.

Eibach Pro Kit (I'll try to grab a better pic when I head back after break)

H&R Sports

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
e36-2.0

My Ride: 330xi
H&R drop> Eibach drops. congrats!
the reverse rake look will never go away though.

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin

Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
-Projecttechnik.com
e36-2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Did you give the prokit time to settle in before you took it off?
That first picture deosnt look like the pro kit at all.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
tb330

First pic was after they were on the car for around 2 months, had a 3 finger gap in both the front and rear at the time that I took them off. I have a pic showing the gap when I took them off on my computer at school, but I'm home for Thanksgiving break right now.

Didn't look much different from stock and with all the wheel gap that the XI comes with I wanted to get as much of a drop as possible.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
I've got H&R sports with stock shocks and am switching to Eibach/Koni. H&R is too stiff. I see no reason to punish myself in a DD.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Glissco27

My Ride: is a smoked Xi
Send a message via AIM to Glissco27
so if im reading this right the H&R's are stiffer and lower than the eibach's.....what do you guys think about shocks to go along with them....ive been reading that most people do H&Rs with bilsteins and others do eibach's with koni yellows...any thoughts?
Glissco27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
tb330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glissco27 View Post
so if im reading this right the H&R's are stiffer and lower than the eibach's.....what do you guys think about shocks to go along with them....ive been reading that most people do H&Rs with bilsteins and others do eibach's with koni yellows...any thoughts?
Correct, most of the reviews I've seen say the konis work better with eibachs and bilsteins work better with h&r, but I can't comment on it as I'm still on stock shocks.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Glissco27

tb330 thanks for the info
Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
I too, am running on an Eibach/Koni setup. The reason I chose this is that I needed to replace stock setup and I wanted comfort, drop was important. The Eibach/Koni set up is very close to the stock ride quality with about 1" of drop. The handling is much improved as well. I'm not willing to deal with all the problems a big drop creates. The only other suspension mod I would consider is a rear sway bar.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
fat-marshmellow

My Ride: ///M3 SMG
h&r sports on stock shocks...over a year with this setup and my shocks are still running strong, i dont find it bouncy or maybe its because my ass just dont notice it...
gives a nice drop though, barely 2 finger gaps with my 18" m5's on

ex: 2002 TIAG 325xi (sold), 2007 suzuki gsxr (sold)
current: 2002 carbon black ///M SMG
halogen headlights? want hid projectors? on a budget? maybe i can help! go here!!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=840919
fat-marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
Glissco27

xi chee what kind of front bumper is that (yeah i know newb question but i just woke up) i've got the Tiag xi also and that bumper makes it look awesome
Old 11-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #12
Glissco27

Rickna btw never got around to thanking you for your help...everything went well with the AE install turns out i was grounding the negative terminal line to just a nut instead of the actual terminal....i know "what a dumb@$$" but anyway, appreciate your help
Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Rickna btw never got around to thanking you for your help...everything went well with the AE install turns out i was grounding the negative terminal line to just a nut instead of the actual terminal....i know "what a dumb@$$" but anyway, appreciate your help
No problem.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 11-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
nice write up!

I went with the H&R and Bilstein setup and have no complaints. I have some axle issues but those were there before the suspension install. I love the way the car handles now and the ride comfort is not bad and im on upstate ny roads. On the highway its like glass and in the twisty back roads its fun as hell.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #15
fat-marshmellow

Quote:
xi chee what kind of front bumper is that (yeah i know newb question but i just woke up) i've got the Tiag xi also and that bumper makes it look awesome
its a m-techII replica bumper with license plate delete strip, euro-spec license plate relocate, and cs splitter replicas

halogen headlights? want hid projectors? on a budget? maybe i can help! go here!!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #16
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
nice write up!

I went with the H&R and Bilstein setup and have no complaints. I have some axle issues but those were there before the suspension install. I love the way the car handles now and the ride comfort is not bad and im on upstate ny roads. On the highway its like glass and in the twisty back roads its fun as hell.
Yeah, axle issues-the crux of the biscuit.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #17
fat-marshmellow

never buy axles from bmauto.com i replaced my drivers side back in august and a month ago i rechecked them and its leaking grease already...its not blown but that thing that holds the boot to the shaft (i forgot what its called lol) is loose or something...
my passenger side is still oem and theres no rips or anything wrong with it

Old 11-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #18
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_chee View Post
never buy axles from bmauto.com i replaced my drivers side back in august and a month ago i rechecked them and its leaking grease already...its not blown but that thing that holds the boot to the shaft (i forgot what its called lol) is loose or something...
my passenger side is still oem and theres no rips or anything wrong with it
Boot clamp?

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #19
fat-marshmellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Boot clamp?
yeaaa that thing, lol sorry just woke up not too long ago, cant think right yet haha

Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
Glissco27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_chee View Post
its a m-techII replica bumper with license plate delete strip, euro-spec license plate relocate, and cs splitter replicas
THAT is the bumper i want haha looks incredible...how much that whole thing run you?....btw can i keep my oem fogs or would i have to change them

Last edited by Glissco27; 11-23-2010 at 09:05 AM.