E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.71 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 255
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
F/I Q's

Hello everyone,

I am finally getting around to turbo my car, I'm slowly getting all the parts, and I have Some questions. I want to know the best place to tap on the m54 for an oil-feed line to the turbo? How well would the stock intake boot hold up with boost?

I'm deciding to run stock injectors, fuel pump, and DME no tune. but I'll put a .4 bar spring in the wastegate so I'll only run 5.25psi that should be the max with no-tune. Are cars should have a 10% flexibility with fuel.

main parts:
Garrett T04E 60 trim
Greddy type s BOV
ebay wastegate
tial .4 bar spring
ebay intercooler
2 sets of universal aluminum piping
T3/T4 turbo manifold
AEM wideband
greddy boost gauge
10 ft aluminized steel
3" cherry bomb exhaust
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 12-15-2010 at 10:59 PM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Ky///m3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville
Posts: 755
My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Boom
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
E46 Coupe
Registered User
 
E46 Coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,003
My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky///m3 View Post
Boom
Haha, so you can buy an explosion from ebay.
__________________
E46 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 255
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 Coupe View Post
Haha, so you can buy an explosion from ebay.
not very helpful...
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 11-22-2010 at 12:13 AM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
nickr519
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 419
My Ride: ZX-10R, Ram 2500
whats the tuning plan
edit: trololololol
__________________
'99 323i - totalled
'87 supra - sold
'90 300zx - sold
'01 GSX-R600 - sold
'97 Ram 2500
'06 ZX-10R

Last edited by nickr519; 11-22-2010 at 03:54 PM.
nickr519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Hrvat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 2,774
My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Do a search for Adam's (PEI330ci) thread on Turbo install. He has detailed pics of where he tapped in the line
__________________

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
NickG@TechniqueTuning
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 271
My Ride: E46 330ci Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
I'm deciding to run stock injectors, fuel pump, and DME no tune. but I'll put a .4 bar spring in the wastegate so I'll only run 5.25psi that should be the max with no-tune. Are cars should have a 10% flexibility with fuel.
Not trying to be mean, but YOU WILL damage your engine running it with boost and stock ECU programming. I hope you have funds set aside to repair the damage you'll be creating.
NickG@TechniqueTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
MachRc
E46Fanatic
 
MachRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 6,481
My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ight=dme+turbo

the dme adapting to 5-6 psi is not true.

Listen to NickG.
__________________

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 255
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ight=dme+turbo

the dme adapting to 5-6 psi is not true.

Listen to NickG.

I looked on that thread, nothing to do with his engine blown up.. just got his car stolen. i still can't find real facts that it wont work even if I run at .3 bar. The reason I'm not getting a tune is just to get me started, soon after I'll get a AEM Power Fuel & Ignition Controller and modify the stock e46 bin file as a base map. then limp over to a dyno and get a better tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvat View Post
Do a search for Adam's (PEI330ci) thread on Turbo install. He has detailed pics of where he tapped in the line
Thanks hrvat.

All I hear from you guys is negativity, not possible solutions, as it has been bought up time and time again, "your going to blow your motor", "don't try" "why bother" and bash and talk-down to others. $hit like that, makes me question why bother even posting ANYTHING F/I related
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 11-22-2010 at 12:02 PM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
MachRc
E46Fanatic
 
MachRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 6,481
My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=any+updates

last guy that did the same thing you did and made one crappy video and never posted results.

and i dont think its because hes so happy driving his car out there he has no time to post.



http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773653

the link above has some krazy fabrication done..megasquirt as a piggy back and what lloks like an e30 turbo build...I dont think its done yet..or would i recommend it to some new person telling us theyre gonna run it on stock software(1st post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
All I hear from you guys is negativity, not possible solutions, as it has been bought up time and time again, "your going to blow your motor", "don't try" "why bother" and bash and talk-down to others. $hit like that, makes me question why bother even posting ANYTHING F/I related
its not negativity, it the *(&)ing truth..


but you dont have to listen to us or nickg..its a free country
__________________

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."

Last edited by MachRc; 11-22-2010 at 12:21 PM.
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
funkboy316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,268
My Ride: 2003 M3 vert
he didnt have his car stolen.......he blew it up with his "no tune" and the pretended it was stolen and stripped for the insurance money
__________________

2003 TiAg HPF stage 2.5 SMG M3 vert
funkboy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 255
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=any+updates

last guy that did the same thing you did and made one crappy video and never posted results.

and i dont think its because hes so happy driving his car out there he has no time to post.



its not negativity, it the *(&)ing truth..


but you dont have to listen to me or nickg..its a free country
I tried contacting nickg via phone and email with no luck. but he doesn't support the 2.5l e46 anywho.

The only real DIY I've come across is http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773653 but he ran a standalone right away.

I guess I can get a safegaurd knock controller, now am I right about the 10% flex with fuel?
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 255
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkboy316 View Post
he didnt have his car stolen.......he blew it up with his "no tune" and the pretended it was stolen and stripped for the insurance money
I take it you knew him? not 3rd person story? If that really was the case, what was he running? theres alot of variables with that.
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
MachRc
E46Fanatic
 
MachRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 6,481
My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
The clear answer I/we want to give you doesnt exist. There are no "offshelf" kit yet avail for your car that I can as a moderator guarantee you will have fun and excitement and passion for yor car without any problems or ruining the car.

None of us know your extent in assembling or fabricating. As you know the best fabricator with years and years of experience can do so much but still fall short of a perfectly tuned working car.

the e46 is not yet a junker car that you can mess with and add turbos to in the garage unless its your beater or you dont need it running for months... Ive seen too many people over the years turn their car into a paper weight with the ebay turbo kit witht he same ambition you have turned into alot of heartaches.


The people that have done their custom non-m e46 turbos "one offs" that actually work are all people really close to NickG or a tuning company in europe. Most garage mechanics have always been in some sort of in between finishing and getting it running right for many years now..

we are just wishing you the best

we can talk about this all day but we're trying to save you time and money. the 2.5 turbo from nick g with dme tuning can be right around the corner for all we know..

but if you do go through ..

please document and let us know

again no hard feeling, we dont want you to gamble with your motor, we do guaranteed winning bets only 'round here to help and protect our brothers.
__________________

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."

Last edited by MachRc; 11-22-2010 at 12:54 PM.
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #15
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,990
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
I tried contacting nickg via phone and email with no luck. but he doesn't support the 2.5l e46 anywho.

The only real DIY I've come across is http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773653 but he ran a standalone right away.

I guess I can get a safegaurd knock controller, now am I right about the 10% flex with fuel?
Car makes 195rwhp

Ms43 has 17% trim, which I used up making 230rwhp n/a

Just buy a TT kit
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
Ky///m3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville
Posts: 755
My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
listen to NickG

Last edited by Ky///m3; 11-22-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: im an idiot
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #17
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 255
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
The clear answer I/we want to give you doesnt exist. There are no "offshelf" kit yet avail for your car that I can as a moderator guarantee you will have fun and excitement and passion for yor car without any problems or ruining the car.

None of us know your extent in assembling or fabricating. As you know the best fabricator with years and years of experience can do so much but still fall short of a perfectly tuned working car.

the e46 is not yet a junker car that you can mess with and add turbos to in the garage unless its your beater or you dont need it running for months... Ive seen too many people over the years turn their car into a paper weight with the ebay turbo kit witht he same ambition you have turned into alot of heartaches.


The people that have done their custom non-m e46 turbos "one offs" that actually work are all people really close to NickG or a tuning company in europe. Most garage mechanics have always been in some sort of in between finishing and getting it running right for many years now..

we are just wishing you the best

we can talk about this all day but we're trying to save you time and money. the 2.5 turbo from nick g with dme tuning can be right around the corner for all we know..

but if you do go through ..

please document and let us know

again no hard feeling, we dont want you to gamble with your motor, we do guaranteed winning bets only 'round here to help and protect our brothers.
thats much better of a response. thanks. I think I'm pretty handy with fabrication/assembling, (I have almost enough tools to run a garage) I did install a turbo on a N/A DSM, but theres much more of a market for them, and alot easier to work on. I'm guessing you are under the impression, that I'd literary slap a turbo on my car and take off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Car makes 195rwhp

Ms43 has 17% trim, which I used up making 230rwhp n/a

Just buy a TT kit
whos car makes 195whp? In theory, since there is "some" flex with fuel, one would think it can handle < 5pounds, but the DME would probably through a lean code, since theres a large amount of air going in, and the stock injectors can only compensate so much.
Where's a tt kit for a 2.5? to my knowledge its non-existent, and I already have the parts. I'll just need a tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky///m3 View Post
listen to NickG
I'm sorry dude, but im not waiting around for nickg to create a kit for my engine, when no one knows if that will even happen.

I might just save up for a complete standalone, EMS. not sure how well local places would do a tune.
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 11-22-2010 at 02:44 PM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
TxZHP04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,728
My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
I'll just need a tune
Famous last words.
__________________
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
bimmerguy055
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 255
My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Famous last words.
One way or another I WILL get one. Mark my word
__________________
Without Failure There is No Success
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #20
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,990
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
One way or another I WILL get one. Mark my word
The last guy to do this without nick.g spent 10k getting a Pectel SQ6 installed and tuned.

Call Nick
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use