E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Berkeleykid16

My Ride: 2000 323i SportWagon
Speeding ticket in North Carolina

Hi everyone,

Today I got a speeding ticket in Johnson County NC for 86 in a 70. I passed the cop (who at the time was giving a ticket to another motorist) and my Valentine One didn't even beep. About 10 minutes later, to my surprise, the same police car was behind me with the lights on. I was stunned and totally caught off guard by this ticket. The cop said he "clocked me at 86" and I'm sortof confused as to how he could (A) clock me at 86 without my radar detector beeping, the same detector that can detect a sliding door from a mile away, and (B) how he clocked me at this speed while he was processing another ticket.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with attorneys in the Johnson County (Smithfield) area, or any further advice on speeding tickets of this magnitude in North Carolina or elsewhere.

Also, over 2 years ago I was cited for speeding (54 in a 45) and received a PFJ. Will this be revoked?

Thanks in advance
Berkeleykid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
something tells me that "My radar detector never went off" isn't going to work as a defense.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
PFJ should have ran its course in two years...so you SHOULD be good there.

I think it sounds like BS, but if you were doing 86 and he wrote you a ticket for 86...then just man up.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
Berkeleykid16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
something tells me that "My radar detector never went off" isn't going to work as a defense.
Well obviously it won't, which is why I'm asking for advice.
Just thought I would indicate that as an interesting bit of information.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
woopaul5

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to woopaul5
Contact a lawyer. I'm not sure if it's like this in all countys in NC. When I was stationed at Pope AFB I got caught doinr 75 in a 55 and had an ass ton of lawyers send me there buisness info in the mail. choose one and they'll pretty much pay off your ticket for you with a "prayer for judgment case" Pretty much saying you won't get a ticket for 3yrs or you get double the fines and points taken of your record. If the judge accepts the PFJ case no point's against your record till you get another ticket. 5 yrs ago it cost me about $350.00
woopaul5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
djlinux64

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopaul5 View Post
Contact a lawyer. I'm not sure if it's like this in all countys in NC. When I was stationed at Pope AFB I got caught doinr 75 in a 55 and had an ass ton of lawyers send me there buisness info in the mail. choose one and they'll pretty much pay off your ticket for you with a "prayer for judgment case" Pretty much saying you won't get a ticket for 3yrs or you get double the fines and points taken of your record. If the judge accepts the PFJ case no point's against your record till you get another ticket. 5 yrs ago it cost me about $350.00
Do this.

Do you know whether he got you with laser or radar?

I suspect laser.

Last edited by djlinux64; 11-22-2010 at 06:29 AM.
djlinux64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
theinfamousdrew

My Ride: 911 Turbo / E70
It could have been a 2 cop team.

Ive seen them on 85 and 77....one cop will sit and peg drivers, then radio the ticketing officer.....was it a local or state trooper? (state troopers mostly use lasers)
Old 11-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
theinfamousdrew

My Ride: 911 Turbo / E70

Ive seen them on 85 and 77....one cop will sit and peg drivers, then radio the ticketing officer.....was it a local or state trooper? (state troopers mostly use lasers)
Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Cops in NC can't use laser as their evidence, it's all done by feel. I highly recommend Marcus Hill, he is expensive but you will get off.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
zhpfan4life

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci ZHP
Yup as Drew said it was most likely a two man team. It happens a lot around here mostly with motorcycle cops who will have squad cars later down the road. Just get yourself a good lawyer and good luck.

Eurospec Exhaust, 19"VMR VB3's, Tint, BMW Performance CAI, and more to come...
zhpfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
Rowdy330I

My Ride: 2003 330I
Sounds like the old stopwatch method. They time you passing known positions and calculate.
Rowdy330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
330exeye

My Ride: 2004 330xi
first time my buddy had seen a two man operation he goes "what the hell is that crown vic doin up in the sticks, what's he gonna do? go dukes of hazard on me and plow through the bush?" I said na theres probably another one on at the next on ramp. low and behold my man had already started rolling by the time were were bout to pass. My buddy was like "hats off to you guys that was clever, I would have never expected it" got to chatting with the cop about how effective it was and how "if I were in my pro charged Stang GT w/ 601RWHP, it didnt' matter how much of a roll you got you better radio two miles ahead!" cop laughed it off and said, well how bout this, I'll give you a warning, see you here same time tomorrow, bring that pro-charged stang, I'll snag the Hemi charger and we'll have a little fun with this. Damn cool cop, friend was only doin 76 in a 65, only car on the rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Reminisce View Post
It is indeed called E46fanatics, not E46wellthiscarisokthewayitissowhymodit
330exeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeleykid16 View Post
Hi everyone,

Today I got a speeding ticket in Johnson County NC for 86 in a 70. I passed the cop (who at the time was giving a ticket to another motorist) and my Valentine One didn't even beep. About 10 minutes later, to my surprise, the same police car was behind me with the lights on. I was stunned and totally caught off guard by this ticket. The cop said he "clocked me at 86" and I'm sortof confused as to how he could (A) clock me at 86 without my radar detector beeping, the same detector that can detect a sliding door from a mile away, and (B) how he clocked me at this speed while he was processing another ticket.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with attorneys in the Johnson County (Smithfield) area, or any further advice on speeding tickets of this magnitude in North Carolina or elsewhere.

Also, over 2 years ago I was cited for speeding (54 in a 45) and received a PFJ. Will this be revoked?

Thanks in advance
well how fast were you going? if you were going 86, then obviously he got you somehow. it wasn't a guess.

^ DD.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post
PFJ should have ran its course in two years...so you SHOULD be good there.

I think it sounds like BS, but if you were doing 86 and he wrote you a ticket for 86...then just man up.
PFJ runs from when the court date happened, not when the citation was issued. When was your court date. If it was less than 3 years ago, you are screwed.

And it's every 3 years, not 2 in NC for how long you MUST have a clean record to have a valid PJC.

N.C.G.S. 58-36-75(f).

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedl..._58-36-75.html

Last edited by ryanwhite74115; 11-22-2010 at 10:07 AM.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance
I just paid it. I live in NY so there was no way I was driving back to court.
Same as you it was where the limit abruptly drops from 70 to 65 and I was still going 75. cop was literally right under the sign.
Ticket was $30. Court Fee on the ticket was $121!

Ridiculous!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #16
ryanwhite74115

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I just paid it. I live in NY so there was no way I was driving back to court.
Same as you it was where the limit abruptly drops from 70 to 65 and I was still going 75. cop was literally right under the sign.
Ticket was $30. Court Fee on the ticket was $121!

Ridiculous!
Court Costs and "admin fees" are always where they get you in NC. Ticket is normally 25% to only 50% of the actual "price".
Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Berkeleykid16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
well how fast were you going? if you were going 86, then obviously he got you somehow. it wasn't a guess.
I was at the tail end of a group of 3 or so cars with my cruise control on maybe a half a speedometer-needle width over 80, so certainly I was going 82, not sure where the other 4mph came from...

The ticket indicates "R86M" which I can only assume means "radar 86 mph misdemeanor"
Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #18
Berkeleykid16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post

It was a state trooper on 40 just east of the Raleigh area.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
Berkeleykid16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
PFJ runs from when the court date happened, not when the citation was issued. When was your court date. If it was less than 3 years ago, you are screwed.

And it's every 3 years, not 2 in NC for how long you MUST have a clean record to have a valid PJC.

N.C.G.S. 58-36-75(f).

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedl..._58-36-75.html
I never actually had a court date for my last ticket-- I took some 5 hour driving safety class and it seemed to cancel out my requirement to go to court. This class was just over 2 years ago as well.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #20
ryanwhite74115

Quote:
I never actually had a court date for my last ticket-- I took some 5 hour driving safety class and it seemed to cancel out my requirement to go to court. This class was just over 2 years ago as well.
Did you plea nolo contendre (no contest) ... by you taking the class it sounds like you pleaded down. That would be why there was no court date. Either way, you are screwed. Your PJC is cancelled.