E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
canko

My Ride: bmw 318i
stock lights to HID, what do i need???...help

hey guys, this is the 1st electrical mod im doing to my car, and i want to change my stock lights which came with the car, its an 2002 modle 318i, iv asked around but no1 can give me a direct answer! wat do i need to get in order to convert my car to HID with projector lights, here is a photo of what the lights look lyk now. thanks guys

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by canko; 11-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.
canko is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
HyphyMovementZ

My Ride: ZSP, DC5, EM2
Send a message via Skype™ to HyphyMovementZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by canko View Post
hey guys, this is the 1st electrical mod im doing to my car, and i want to change my stock lights which came with the car, its an 2002 modle 318i, iv asked around but no1 can give me a direct answer! wat do i need to get in order to convert my car to HID with projector lights, here is a photo of what the lights look lyk now. thanks guys

[IMG][/IMG]
heres a retrofit guide, then you need a HID kit

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18594
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
canko

thanks heaps man!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
canko

so wat that is sayin, is to change my original headlights to projector headlights?...wouldnt it just be easier if i bought the projector headlights and a HID conversion kit? and then it would be plug and play, ryt?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
HyphyMovementZ

My Ride: ZSP, DC5, EM2
Send a message via Skype™ to HyphyMovementZ
Don't forget error code eliminators!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
anegav
Banned

My Ride: bmw
If you want to do it the right way and do it all OEM, just buy OEM Projector headlights with ballasts and bulbs, plug them in(it's plug and play), then have your car reflashed for xenon headlights. No need for bulb-out-warning cancelers unless you decide to not reflash your car.
anegav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
cmpcpro

My Ride: 2000 Mercedes S430
Quote:
Originally Posted by anegav View Post
If you want to do it the right way and do it all OEM, just buy OEM Projector headlights with ballasts and bulbs, plug them in(it's plug and play), then have your car reflashed for xenon headlights. No need for bulb-out-warning cancelers unless you decide to not reflash your car.
This is what I want to do on my 00 323i.. I want to go plug and play no splicing.. how much money am I looking at and do they even make OEM for prefacelift? Also what changes when you flash the car for xenon? Thanks guys
cmpcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Yes, OEM HIDs were available for pre-facelift. I just did this.

My local dealer wanted USD$1150 for a set (at a discount!), plus sales tax, bringing the hardware cost well over $1200. Installation is plug-n-play and requires more patience than skill: the hardest part is removing and replacing the trim in the front.

I went the bone yard route. It took some research effort and a fair amount of time, but I got a left and a right (2 different sources) delivered to my door within my budget (less than 2/3 dealer price). Someone who is willing to buff out the plastic front housing can do this for less.

Installing aftermarket projectors and an HID kit is quicker and probably less expensive, but the light quality is not the same.

There are risks to going the used route:
- Most yards won't send pics: so you have to trust the description. That said, I thought I found a set in excellent condition at the right price. Turned out too good to be true. They could have passed for new, as advertised, but they weren't HID.
- Most challenging is that most units seem to have some damage: broken mounting tabs being most common along with hazy/scratched/chipped front lenses.
- Those that don't have damage are generally priced close to dealer list, which is ~$650 each.
- I found the driver side first. The passenger side took 2 months longer.

I haven't flashed yet. The dash light burns only when the lights are off.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
cmpcpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
Yes, OEM HIDs were available for pre-facelift. I just did this.

My local dealer wanted USD$1150 for a set (at a discount!), plus sales tax, bringing the hardware cost well over $1200. Installation is plug-n-play and requires more patience than skill: the hardest part is removing and replacing the trim in the front.

I went the bone yard route. It took some research effort and a fair amount of time, but I got a left and a right (2 different sources) delivered to my door within my budget (less than 2/3 dealer price). Someone who is willing to buff out the plastic front housing can do this for less.

Installing aftermarket projectors and an HID kit is quicker and probably less expensive, but the light quality is not the same.

There are risks to going the used route:
- Most yards won't send pics: so you have to trust the description. That said, I thought I found a set in excellent condition at the right price. Turned out too good to be true. They could have passed for new, as advertised, but they weren't HID.
- Most challenging is that most units seem to have some damage: broken mounting tabs being most common along with hazy/scratched/chipped front lenses.
- Those that don't have damage are generally priced close to dealer list, which is ~$650 each.
- I found the driver side first. The passenger side took 2 months longer.

I haven't flashed yet. The dash light burns only when the lights are off.
Ouch! What do you mean the light quality is different? OEM is better or worse? Also if I go the $1200 route is that everything and I just plug and play? Last question what is the difference between lights that the computer needs to be flashed? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
don't just get HID into your stock lights. consider upgrading your headlights entirely for a plug and play system
Projector46 - our most popular for pre-facelifted sedans and coupes - starting at $349 complete
Projector46 Facelifted Sedan - our most popular for pre-facelifted sedans and coupes - starting at $349 complete
Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
cmpcpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
don't just get HID into your stock lights. consider upgrading your headlights entirely for a plug and play system
Projector46 - our most popular for pre-facelifted sedans and coupes - starting at $349 complete
Projector46 Facelifted Sedan - our most popular for pre-facelifted sedans and coupes - starting at $349 complete
So for $350 I could have everything all I need to do is plug them in? This is projectors with angel eyes and HID's? If so that's what I'll do..
Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
umnitza

yes, give us a call, we can do that.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #13
cmpcpro

Quote:
yes, give us a call, we can do that.
Okay guys I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this.. I checked the site tho and when I put it together it came out to over $400! Also will this be like the Dynavin? If I order one day I'll get the next? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #14
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
This.

No need to go OEM. The aftermarket P46 kits are fantastic. Just call up the guys at modbargains and they will hook you up.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
umnitza

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Okay guys I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this.. I checked the site tho and when I put it together it came out to over $400! Also will this be like the Dynavin? If I order one day I'll get the next? Thanks!
Sure thing. We can work out the price for you.
The P46s will be there in 2 days, the Dynavin will be there the next day after order.

If you order on the site, that would work better - please email us - info@umnitza.com we can give you a code that will help you with the total price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
This.

No need to go OEM. The aftermarket P46 kits are fantastic. Just call up the guys at umnitza and they will hook you up.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #16
cmpcpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
This.

No need to go OEM. The aftermarket P46 kits are fantastic. Just call up the guys at modbargains and they will hook you up.
I called modbargains once and the guy was very nice but one second I was saving $50 the next second they were out of stock but I would get free shipping but then I'd lose the $50 savings.. As nice as he was I had a sneaking suspicion my $50 credit was paying for that free shipping I've dealt with Umnitza and been treated very nice so I'll stick with them until otherwise but thanks for the sugestion reading Modbargain's reviews I have no doubt they're a great company.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #17
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Go OEM. The P46 projectors are not high quality, period. The design goals for the P46 can be summed up in a word: Cheap. They're not designed to have any significant width, distance, or intensity. Even with 55W ballasts, the performance is lacking compared to a proper 35W setup. Most OEM HIDs have much more engineering behind them, and generally offer much better light output (obviously there are exceptions to this, like the retards who designed the ZKW projector bowls). I've compared OEM ALs to projector46s, and there really is no comparison. The AL/Bosch projectors are *much* better for throwing light out into the distance.

The price for OEM isn't that bad these days either - a friend of mine got a set of OEM AL bixenons with Osram bulbs for $200. The condition of the housings wasn't perfect, but the flaws are not noticable when mounted on the car. For my old car, I got a set of perfect condition AL bixenons for $420 about a year and a half ago. You just gotta look around for the right deal.

You may also want to consider OEM projectors from other makes, like Honda S2000 projectors (probably the best single-xenon projector you can get). For my own car, I'm probably going to do OEM FX projectors w/ TSX lenses, or just get Hella E55 projectors (I think these are highly underrated... my dad's 535xi has the hella projectors, and they light up the road really nicely). I would do FX-R, but I'm not convinced they're the end-all solution. I've actually read a number of accounts in other automotive circles where people prefer E46 projectors to the FX-Rs for actual driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Also what changes when you flash the car for xenon? Thanks guys
The LCM is recoded to not run cold-checks on the HID bulbs. Since HID bulbs don't have a filament, the resistance is very different than what would be expected of a normal halogen bulb.

There are a few other differences too. With a halogen setup, if you start the ignition while the headlights are on, the LCM will turn off the headlights until the starter motor stops. With HID coding, the headlights stay on. There's also another function in there that switches from something called "half-step" to "full-step" (or maybe it was the other way around). I'm not quite sure what these steps are in reference to, but I'd imagine it just has something to do with how the car kicks the ballast on.

Now an error canceler typically works fine, but there have been occasions where they've caused issues. IMO flashing is the way to go - it only needs to be done once, and you don't really need to worry about it going bad.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-24-2011 at 01:02 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
cmpcpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Go OEM. The P46 projectors are not high quality, period. The design goals for the P46 can be summed up in a word: Cheap. They're not designed to have any significant width, distance, or intensity. Even with 55W ballasts, the performance is lacking compared to a proper 35W setup. Most OEM HIDs have much more engineering behind them, and generally offer much better light output (obviously there are exceptions to this, like the retards who designed the ZKW projector bowls). I've compared OEM ALs to projector46s, and there really is no comparison. The AL/Bosch projectors are *much* better for throwing light out into the distance.

The price for OEM isn't that bad these days either - a friend of mine got a set of OEM AL bixenons with Osram bulbs for $200. The condition of the housings wasn't perfect, but the flaws are not noticable when mounted on the car. For my old car, I got a set of perfect condition AL bixenons for $420 about a year and a half ago. You just gotta look around for the right deal.

You may also want to consider OEM projectors from other makes, like Honda S2000 projectors (probably the best single-xenon projector you can get). For my own car, I'm probably going to do OEM FX projectors w/ TSX lenses, or just get Hella E55 projectors (I think these are highly underrated... my dad's 535xi has the hella projectors, and they light up the road really nicely). I would do FX-R, but I'm not convinced they're the end-all solution. I've actually read a number of accounts in other automotive circles where people prefer E46 projectors to the FX-Rs for actual driving.

The LCM is recoded to not run cold-checks on the HID bulbs. Since HID bulbs don't have a filament, the resistance is very different than what would be expected of a normal halogen bulb.

There are a few other differences too. With a halogen setup, if you start the ignition while the headlights are on, the LCM will turn off the headlights until the starter motor stops. With HID coding, the headlights stay on. There's also another function in there that switches from something called "half-step" to "full-step" (or maybe it was the other way around). I'm not quite sure what these steps are in reference to, but I'd imagine it just has something to do with how the car kicks the ballast on.

Now an error canceler typically works fine, but there have been occasions where they've caused issues. IMO flashing is the way to go - it only needs to be done once, and you don't really need to worry about it going bad.
Wow thank you very much! What is the name of the OEM projectors I want for my 00 323i? And I still need to get lights and such for them correct? Thanks again!