E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #21
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
it runs perfectly when i drive it though...when i first noticed the sound yesterday i let it idle for 5 minutes and the sound went away except for a very quiet ticking sound, i drove my car home and it ran perfectly, i went to start it up again this morning and it made this sound again...

if it were something internal with the engine wouldnt i see loss of power and it would run badly. idle is smooth and everything even when its making that sound.

if it is the engine, im buying an ls1 and dropping it in there as i wont get **** for my 323i with a fvcked up engine...

///M

Last edited by Redline; 11-25-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #22
dimazz

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimazz View Post

I would take your AC and Serp belt off and feel all of the components by hand.

word.
dimazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #23
e9coupe

My Ride: Old BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimazz View Post
Starter is not moving when the engine is running.... .
Really? I thought he might have the hybrid model.

Apparently, you've never heard a starter go bad where the bendix doesn't retract all the way. The ringgear catches on the edge and forces it to spin, making a REALLY load noise until it eventually stops. The starter motor is not turning while this happens. Would I take the starter off first? No, but it would be on my list of things to consider. I would start by doing the screwdriver in the ear test...(pointy end down!)
e9coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #24
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e9coupe View Post
The starter is located underneath the intake manifold. I've heard bearings go in starters that sound like that...
The starter should be long since disengaged and turned off by the time the OP's noises get cranked up.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
it runs perfectly when i drive it though...when i first noticed the sound yesterday i let it idle for 5 minutes and the sound went away except for a very quiet ticking sound, i drove my car home and it ran perfectly, i went to start it up again this morning and it made this sound again...

if it were something internal with the engine wouldnt i see loss of power and it would run badly. idle is smooth and everything even when its making that sound.

if it is the engine, im buying an ls1 and dropping it in there as i wont get **** for my 323i with a fvcked up engine...
You have an issue with the tensioner or idler pulley. You could have a bearing problem in one of the auxiliary systems that are driven by the main belt, but my money is on the tensioner pulley.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #26
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
this sounds very familiar. I would first check all the pulleys and you may get lucky- its a waterpump bearing or something of the nature.

the bad news is it may be much worse - does the sound go away as you rev up? cause if it does its a timing chain issue - could be the top tensioner has a worn sprint - easy to repair and replace - or it could be your oil pump in which case you are in serious trouble.

I have seen this happen on several 323s specifically. easy way to find out

goto harbor freight and get an auto stethoscope for 3$ turn on the engine, and place the stethescope right below the vanos on the metal piece. you hsould hear the chain running. then have a friend rev the car - if you hear it snap taught then you know its a tensioner. top one again is simple to fix you just need a 32mm socket(or 34 dont remember) and some washers. or just get a new spring from the dealer. (should be under 10 bucks).

Last edited by mvrk10256; 11-26-2010 at 01:12 PM.
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #27
ILLuSioNz X

My Ride: 03 TiAg E46 M3 Coupe
tensioner
tensioner
tensioner
tensioner
tensioner
ILLuSioNz X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #28
lucroymans

My Ride: 320ci
had the same (?) thing happening 2 days ago...car engine sounded like a coffeegrinder, even though it ran smoothly...it turned out my starter was broken and it kept running while the engine ran- creating a very similar sound...

either way - don't keep your engine running when its making sounds like that...the second i heard the grinding, i had my car towed to the nearest garage...
lucroymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #29
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
The ticking sound is the vanos.

There are many good suggestions on the grinding noise. With the engine cold you can remove the belts and run the engine for a minute. This will help isolate the idler, tensioners, AC, PS pump, water pump, alternator.

The most compelling suggestion given your symptom is the starter.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #30
lucroymans

My Ride: 320ci
FYI - my car got back from the garage...turned out my starter got stuck in its 'starting' position - so it stayed connected to the running engine. The high revs had completely tore it up, causing a similar sound. it was a 300 euro fix
lucroymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #31
Redline

started it up today to pull it up on the ramps and the sound isnt as loud, but when i listened around the engine bay with a screwdriver it sounds like the sound is coming directly from the intake manifold and when I put the screwdriver up to the DISA valve to listen to it the noise was loud there, so what could be causing this in the intake manifold area of the engine? its not the pulleys since i just checked those and they are fine. and when i start the car i hear no scraping while its cranking so i dont know if its the starter...

///M
Old 11-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #32
e9coupe

My Ride: Old BMW's
You have to find something long enough to reach down to the starter itself. Noises generated on an engine can travel to different components and make it very difficult to isolate. A long rod, wooden dowel, anything that you can put an ear to and touch the starter. Remember, the intake manifold is a bunch of hollow chambers, which will amplify noise. This could also mean the noise is traveling through the intake manifold from the head, although I can't think of anything that would make that much noise and not affect how the engine runs.
e9coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #33
Redline

im still waiting to get this into the dealership so im still trying to see whats causing this issue.

I forgot to mention my friend who was learning to drive manual got behind the wheel of my car and dropped the clutch pretty hard a few times but didnt stall it. this sound started the morning after he drove it. so could it be transmission related?

///M
Old 12-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #34
dimazz

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e9coupe View Post
Really? I thought he might have the hybrid model.

Apparently, you've never heard a starter go bad where the bendix doesn't retract all the way. The ringgear catches on the edge and forces it to spin, making a REALLY load noise until it eventually stops. The starter motor is not turning while this happens. Would I take the starter off first? No, but it would be on my list of things to consider. I would start by doing the screwdriver in the ear test...(pointy end down!)
This is so rare I didn't even think to consider it. Good point though...
dimazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #35
eddiewolfgang

My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
my vote would go towards a worn pulley, idler pulley is the most common to go, and is easy to replace. The engine itself sounds find.

right, sounds like bearings being crushed. At the beginning of the video i thought your starter wouldn't disengage, but i could be wrong. Buy a stethoscope diagnose it yourself or take it to a shop near you to have it checked.

Last edited by eddiewolfgang; 12-02-2010 at 11:15 PM.
eddiewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #36
eddiewolfgang

My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
im still waiting to get this into the dealership so im still trying to see whats causing this issue.

I forgot to mention my friend who was learning to drive manual got behind the wheel of my car and dropped the clutch pretty hard a few times but didnt stall it. this sound started the morning after he drove it. so could it be transmission related?
if its transmission related, i suspect the throwout bearing
Old 12-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #37
JudgeSmails

My Ride: '01 330 Ci
Did you take the belts off yet and check out the pulleys? I had my water pump bearings go, and had the same symptoms as you. No overheat, car ran fine, just a terrible noise.
It's super easy to check - take off the belts and turn the WP pulley by hand. If there is any play, you've found your problem. Check the other pulleys while the belts are off. If they spin freely, replace. As someone else suggested, you can start the car (if the engine is totally cold) for a few seconds with the belts off. If the sound is gone, then you know it was coming from something belt-driven, most likely the WP. ***Don't let the car run for more than a minute with the belts off***
JudgeSmails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #38
Crawfo

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
Did you take the belts off yet and check out the pulleys? I had my water pump bearings go, and had the same symptoms as you. No overheat, car ran fine, just a terrible noise.
It's super easy to check - take off the belts and turn the WP pulley by hand. If there is any play, you've found your problem. Check the other pulleys while the belts are off. If they spin freely, replace. As someone else suggested, you can start the car (if the engine is totally cold) for a few seconds with the belts off. If the sound is gone, then you know it was coming from something belt-driven, most likely the WP. ***Don't let the car run for more than a minute with the belts off***

It was my water pump that was making that noise as well. Replaced the water pump and the tensioner pulleys as well as the mech ac tensioner and all set now. Water pump is starting to fail. 1 Hour job max to change WP and all pulleys and mech A/C tensioner with minimal hand tools. Just need a T50 Torx for pully removal.

Last edited by Crawfo; 12-03-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Crawfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #39
Redline

water pump was replaced less than 10k miles ago... is it safe to drive with this problem to the dealership thats 30 miles away? i tried taking the belts off but the tensioner wont budge...

///M
Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #40
Crawfo

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
water pump was replaced less than 10k miles ago... is it safe to drive with this problem to the dealership thats 30 miles away? i tried taking the belts off but the tensioner wont budge...
I would not suggest it. Not saying for sure but It may be a water pump and would not push it if I did not have to. If I remember right I think you need the T50 torx to release the tensioner and remove the pully the correct way and turn it to the right to release tension ( If I am wrong i am sure another fanatic will correct me) . Did your pump have a warranty? Is that why you want to drive 30 miles? check your WP for play once you remove your belt. I was very apprehensive about doing this my self but I was a very easy DIY. If you do not have a spot to do it yourseld then and only then would I let a Mech do it.

Last edited by Crawfo; 12-03-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Crawfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, grinding, startup