E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Hoyshel

My Ride: 330ci
Tire shop installed wrong size tires

So I got four new Continental DWS tires installed on my 2001 BMW 330ci about 6 months ago and just got a nail in one. I took it to a different shop from where I purchased the tires and they pointed out to me that all 4 tires on my car are 245/40R-17. They're supposed to be staggered with 225/45R-17 up front and 245/40R-17 in the rear. When I got my tires installed i just told them to put 4 new tires on. I assumed they knew that they weren't all the same size. On my receipt it says 225's up front and 245's in the rear. Afterall, it says it on the inside of my door jam, that's what was on the car when they replaced them, and that's what should have come up in their computer system. On top of everything, I have taken my car back to that same shop twice since I purchased the tires for a tire repair and alignment and they didn't say anything about it. Also, are there any negative ramifications to driving around with with 245's in terms of worn suspension components, etc?

Would you expect the shop to replace the front 245's with 225's at no charge?
Hoyshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
ZeeZoo

My Ride: '99 323i
I would say it's both the shops fault and a little bit of fault on your end. You drove on those tires for 6 months and I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to changed the front tires to 225. If anything, they should give you a discount on your next tire change but you should've double checked that they were the wrong size when they were installed. I had this happen to me once when a Mavis put one tire a different size than the other 3 but not 6 months after.

As for the suspension, I don't think anything major could happen as long as your fronts were aligned.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Hoyshel

My Ride: 330ci
I agree, I should have checked before leaving. However, they are the "experts" and I trusted that they would install the correct tires. There are parts on cars that are visible after installation and parts that aren't. If a shop said that they installed an OEM fuel pump would you pull out the back seat and check yourself? And if you did and found that it was not OEM would you not return to the shop, no matter how long it had been, and expect the pump to be replaced with an actual OEM pump?
Hoyshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
Regardless of how long you went without noticing (which is pretty long), they did install the wrong tires as per your receipt, I expect them to help you out. At the very least, they should give you some depreciated value since you did use those tires for so long.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
DWS has 1 year round hazard warranty as well. I wouldn't say wrench they on purpose however I had a set replaced because of a bunch of air bubbles. Had to put to remount them but better than buying a new set of tires.
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
well a square setup handles better. and you payed for 225s in the front. its technically a win-win. Right?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Your receipt says one thing, but if you waited this long the shop doesn't know if you swapped them out with the larger size in the meantime, even if you are being truthful. So it's kind of a tough situation. I don't think you have much to worry about though if it's not rubbing on anything. If it took you this long to notice it can't be that bad haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
well a square setup handles better. and you payed for 225s in the front. its technically a win-win. Right?
That's one way to look at it!

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
The wider the better, just use it.
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
Rudy540

My Ride: E46
Keep em

Last edited by Rudy540; 02-03-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Rudy540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
rcsummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy540 View Post
Wider tires at back for traction, thinner tires up front for better turning, and cornering

So no, maybe not all a win win but not a loss either
you make no sense. square set ups handle better than staggered. pretty sure almost everyone on here will agree. wider tires in the front means a wider contact patch resulting in more grip.

Last edited by rcsummers; 01-15-2013 at 04:48 PM.
rcsummers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Wider tires at back for traction, thinner tires up front for better turning, and cornering

So no, maybe not all a win win but not a loss either
Lol what?
This makes NO sense.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
jerseyzillest

My Ride: 325 CI
By the way no your suspension and everything else is fine. since no one answered that question

^Taken with iPhone^
:rofl:
jerseyzillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Rudy540

Can any one temm why staggered wheels typically mean wider/bigger in diameter tires at back than the front ones, apart from looks?????

Last edited by Rudy540; 01-15-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
rcsummers

Quote:
Can any of you two little smart asses ^^ tell me why did bmw engineers decide to define staggered wheels typically meaning wider/bigger in diameter tires at back than the front ones, apart from looks?????

Hmmmm if putting wider tires all the way around would be better on the track why doesn't everyone do it.

Front tires do the turning meaning that less tire width easier and better turning angles, rear do all the pushing so wider means better traction

nice language..... and we could debate about this all day. but i dont want to waste my time. so go ahead, make a poll and ask the great people of e46fanatics what they think handles better. Staggered or Squared. Or even better, ask all the track rats over on M3Forum. They'll all say the same thing too. You'd be amazed by the results.

most people who track their cars on here use square setups. just ask....

Last edited by rcsummers; 01-15-2013 at 06:18 PM.
rcsummers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Can any of you two little smart asses ^^ tell me why did bmw engineers decide to define staggered wheels typically meaning wider/bigger in diameter tires at back than the front ones, apart from looks?????

Hmmmm if putting wider tires all the way around would be better on the track why doesn't everyone do it.

Front tires do the turning meaning that less tire width easier and better turning angles, rear do all the pushing so wider means better traction
Bmw did it for looks. It looks really sexy and that's why I have it staggered on my car. Our cars do not put down enough power to benefit from running anything wider than 235 in the rear. M3s do.

Also, square setups do provide more grip on the track, and pretty much every does do it, smart ass.
245s in the front are absolutely not going to restrict your steering angle and a car with 245 in the front versus a car with 245 in the front will feel the same in normal driving conditions. It will not make steering any different.

You really need to study up on driving dynamics and what causes a car to handle with understeer, oversteer, or to be neutral. You simply don't know what you're talking about. More rubber=more contact patch=more grip.

Do a little studying of driving dynamics, physics, and common sense before you come in here throwing around insults and making yourself look like a fool.

There's a reason I can consistently place in the driving events I partake in. And using thinner tires for "better turning" is not a strategy I use

Last edited by peytonracer4; 01-15-2013 at 06:04 PM.
peytonracer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
OP since its been so long the shop most like wont give you the new correct size tires.

However, you paid less for wider tires so you win here.

Now for the staggered fitment discussion, BMW Chose wider tires in the rears for better traction which in turn results in slight under steer. Also looks better I must add.

The turning radius is directly proportional to the tire diameter though. Smaller the diameter smaller the turning radius. The width of the tire does minimal to the handling unless you are talking about out of whack wide tires.
As long as you are within the specs you are good.

OP, you have an advantage of rotating tires now(not the wheels). Just make sure you are running wider wheels in the rear though.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
Rudy540

Blank

Last edited by Rudy540; 02-03-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
Rudy540

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
nice language..... and we could debate about this all day. but i dont want to waste my time. so go ahead, make a poll and ask the great people of e46fanatics what they think handles better. Staggered or Squared. Or even better, ask all the track rats over on M3Forum. They'll all say the same thing too. You'd be amazed by the results.

most people who track their cars on here use square setups. just ask....
Why didn't u explain urself in the first place

Last edited by Rudy540; 01-15-2013 at 06:33 PM.