E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
BMDUB 330xi

My Ride: 330xi
My car wont start

Hey every one just thought i would put my problem out there to see if anyone can give me some advice. I have a 02 330xi auto i live in cali its been geetin pretty cold here. The past week or so its been takin me a few trys to get the car started two days ago it took about 5-10 mins and several trys to get it started today it didnt start at all im thinkin maybe its the fuel pump?? I just got it back from the shop i had my thmostat housing replaced along with a sensor and i had a minor oil leak and a power steering leak taken care of now the car wont start.
BMDUB 330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
jhrobert

My Ride: 2003 330xi
I wonder if they left something unplugged like a sensor that would increase the fuel enrichment when it is colder out. I had that problem with a bad sensor on my old 2000 S10 Blazer. I would bring it back to them if the car ran fine before they touched it.
jhrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDUB 330xi View Post
Hey every one just thought i would put my problem out there to see if anyone can give me some advice. I have a 02 330xi auto i live in cali its been geetin pretty cold here. The past week or so its been takin me a few trys to get the car started two days ago it took about 5-10 mins and several trys to get it started today it didnt start at all im thinkin maybe its the fuel pump?? I just got it back from the shop i had my thmostat housing replaced along with a sensor and i had a minor oil leak and a power steering leak taken care of now the car wont start.
You didn't say if you were cranking, but since you mentioned fuel pump, I assume you are.

Start by checking your battery voltage. If low, take for 20 min drive on highway and then continue monitoring voltage with cluster test to assess functioning of both bat and alt.

That's one thing that comes to mind after a car has been to shop...that you don't drive it enough to keep battery fully charged, and that while in a shop for a day or two, getting moved around and started repeatedly but not really driven...that it's the battery.

Get a jump start and go from there...and search for 'no start'...millions of threads and other possibilities...but I chose the easiest and most likely first...before considering that mechanics did something wrong or just total random failure of another part.

Doug

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
jhrobert

My Ride: 2003 330xi
I'm working 12 hour days right now. I don't have the time to look up anything for you. Try doing a search for the sensor that is for the cold enrichment valve. You should have one of these on the motor. You can always disconnect a fuel line and turn the key on to test the fuel pump. I suggest running a hose from the disconnected line to an empty gas can to keep from making a big mess or destroying your driveway with gasoline.
jhrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
i dont think this is xi specific...

but check your battery like others have said... is your car cranking?
does it crank and fire for a second but shut off a moment later? (are there any vacuum leaks?)
do you hear your fuel pump priming when you turn the key? is your fuel pump relay working? (swap relays)

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Hero6

My Ride: 330xi
+1 battery if it isn't cranking. Mine had a progressively harder time starting then wouldn't start after a couple weeks last year. Swapped in a new battery and it ran like new.

Last edited by Hero6; 12-02-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Hero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Capt1014

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero6 View Post
+1 battery if it isn't cranking. Mine had a progressively harder time starting then wouldn't start after a couple weeks last year. Swapped in a new battery and it ran like new.
Same here, it would intermittently not start, then wouldn't start at all, changed the battery..prob solved

Overkill is an often underrated state of achivement!
Capt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote